FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561090 times)

1fish@atime

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #615 on: Aug 01, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Good deal Trap...Did I ever tell you ....Trolling sucks....LOL
Tyler and I spent 6 hours looking at lakers just stacked on the bottom in 70' of water. Tried every thing I know and not a hit....Lead line bouncing the bottom, Jigging, Everything short of dynamite....I need easier fish... :o

bogmanjr

• KET-CHEN-ENY ?
« Reply #616 on: Aug 01, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Good deal Trap...Did I ever tell you ....Trolling sucks....LOL
Tyler and I spent 6 hours looking at lakers just stacked on the bottom in 70' of water. Tried every thing I know and not a hit....Lead line bouncing the bottom, Jigging, Everything short of dynamite....I need easier fish... :o

Sounds like the boat ran ok? You did better than I did , Stuck at work on this perfect summer day. Only 18 hrs until departure though. :clapping:

1fish@atime

« Reply #617 on: Aug 01, 2010, 01:43 PM »
The boat ran like a champ!!! Was so relieved. The lake we went to is a 20 mile round trip to the deep water. Way to dang far to paddle.... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #618 on: Aug 02, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Darn that Trapper........ >:(

Got me thinking about ..........

Helgramites. Thought I'd attempt a few.

Top left 2 are the first attempts...right 2 are the next....bottom left is the next. I was completely engrossed at the bench for 3 hours........I love it ;D

This addiction is way worse than ice jigs. New vise is on the way and the materials are stacking up all over the place. I'm thoroughly obsessed :P

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #619 on: Aug 02, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Good looking work there RG! Let us know how ya do with them if ya would. :thumbup_smilie:

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #620 on: Aug 02, 2010, 07:27 PM »

Top left 2 are the first attempts...right 2 are the next....bottom left is the next. I was completely engrossed at the bench for 3 hours........I love it ;D

This addiction is way worse than ice jigs. New vise is on the way and the materials are stacking up all over the place. I'm thoroughly obsessed :P

RG
well you can thank your buddy Trapper for that to a point  ;D ;D ;D ;D   very nice looking flys RG  :D 8) ;D

1fish@atime

« Reply #621 on: Aug 02, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Those are really nice RG. Wow!! Now I'm going to have to try...That last one with the bead head is nice. Looks very realistic. What is the leg material? Looks like black duck?
Those would hammer the browns here, as well as the smallies. Couple guys were talking to me the other night about the Hudson. They are real discouraged with the amount of creek chubs, Not sure if they are chubs or something else. They hit non stop, hard to get your fly to any other fish.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #622 on: Aug 02, 2010, 08:24 PM »

New vise is on the way
RG

RG....I'm not out of line by asking you what your intentions are with your old vise.....am I? Gotta start somewhere, don't we? ;)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #623 on: Aug 03, 2010, 02:47 AM »
very nice  RG  !!!!!  last night  i  went  to a  spot  on  the  oswego river ....just  relaxing  i hit  several  bass   quick  using  clouser  ....small keepers    one  small  sheephead  ....the addiction  doesn't  go away  either  !!!!...
fm  i'll be  swinging in  sometime soon ....we  can  give  you  a  quick lession  to get ya  started  ..... 

life  is  good
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #624 on: Aug 03, 2010, 09:47 AM »

RG
Nice Flies RG!!!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

KingPerch

« Reply #625 on: Aug 03, 2010, 03:52 PM »

RG
Great flies RG!!! I didn't for get Ya pal!!! You should recieve this week at some point!!!! Tightlines!!--KP ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #626 on: Aug 03, 2010, 05:11 PM »
Thanks guys.
 I think it's the progression that intrigues me. Trying to tie a new fly from your own perspective is a lot of fun.

FM,
The old vise is beat. It's got 30+ years on it. It doesn't hold a hook worth beans any more.  I was thinking I'd give it to my machinist friend to turn down the jaws to make it into a midge vise.  If it doesn't work...no great loss. You don't need to spend a fortune on a vise. $30 - $100 will get you a wide variety of very serviceable vises.

The Danvise I have coming is less than $85 and is very well reviewed. I was after a rotary and couldn't see the dollar value in the big tag vises. More prestige than anything.

RG 

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #627 on: Aug 03, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Thanks for the honest input Rg, Well appreciated. Good luck with the new gear....can't wait to see some of the new pieces. :)

1fish@atime

« Reply #628 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:08 PM »
I picked up a new rotary from Cabelas about four years ago for around 35.00. The chrome is crap but it works well. I liked the mount vice. It opens to a full 2". Makes it a little easier to find a suitable mount table for it.
I have my dads old one but like RG's the jaws don't hold very well anymore. But I keep it for sentimental reasons, guy thing I guess. Still have all his old brass trap tags...LOL

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #629 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:11 PM »
1 fish...sorry I forgot to answer your question.
#6 streamer hook
The legs are natural goose biots.
The back is turkey
Awesome Possum gray dubbing body
Fox squirrel under fur thorax
6/0 Danville flat waxed, rust brown

I'm gonna whup up a few more tomorrow.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.