FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561964 times)

1fish@atime

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #630 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Thanks RG. I may have to substitute duck for the legs, or some black fake fur I have.
I did mess with dubbing today, I have a lot of muskrat dyed in different colors. Came with a package I found in a garage sale. The first couple heads you made are neat looking. I wrapped a good portion of black deer hair and trimmed to look wide. But the legs were bugging the crap out of me so I walked away. I was also thinking, they are a lot like silverfish. Those are everywhere here now. Wonder if fish eat them.. ??? Then I was thinking flying ants, add some wings.... Good choice of fly, some really good possibilities.
Let us know if they work tomorrow...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #631 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I'm going to try a photo sequence of tying this fly in the morning. I've been thinking about it all day :P

Kept me occupied while working anyway :-\

This is the critter I'm trying to imitate. Notice how the legs come from the middle of the segments? I didn't do that.....but I will ;D The mouth parts are smaller too...gotta work on that.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #632 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:58 PM »
when you get that dobson  tied, i would like to see it ,they are awsome bait

1fish@atime

« Reply #633 on: Aug 03, 2010, 07:13 PM »
With Gamma's expertice with plastics and paint he should be able to "TIE" a beautiful one.... ;D

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #634 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:54 AM »
You guys got me studying bugs!
My wife thinks I'm a nut these days.  (Had a bunch of Traps, and KP's fly's on my desk)I told her that I love her before she went to bed.
Guarantee she still thinks I'm different.

A little Dobson pic that was easily found! Keep up the good work friends. You guys are few and far between ;)

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/insects/dobsonflies/dobsonflies.htm#larvae

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #635 on: Aug 04, 2010, 09:33 AM »

They seemed to like it ;D. They were hanging out at mid pool this morning. Very lazy feed. I threw quite a few flies at them and the helgramite did the trick. Very cool.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

1fish@atime

« Reply #636 on: Aug 04, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Nice RG. That's why I love this site so much. I can be having a tough time staying positive and keeping faith in the world, and something so simple as a picture of you catching a fish on an experimental fly can give me the biggest boost...Guess I'm not really to far gone...
Might have to relocate the vice in here in the air conditioning today to putter. You have me excited to try a few of those this evening in the river.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #637 on: Aug 04, 2010, 11:12 AM »

This is the one that worked the best today. You may want to add a little lead to a couple if you want to get deep in a pool. Unweighted they drift very nicely.

Glad I helped you get your mind right ;D

RG

1fish@atime

« Reply #638 on: Aug 04, 2010, 11:17 AM »
You guys got me studying bugs!
My wife thinks I'm a nut these days.  (Had a bunch of Traps, and KP's fly's on my desk)I told her that I love her before she went to bed.
Guarantee she still thinks I'm different.

A little Dobson pic that was easily found! Keep up the good work friends. You guys are few and far between ;)

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/insects/dobsonflies/dobsonflies.htm#larvae

It truly was incredible to see the hellgrammites along route 28 next to the Hudson as a kid. Millions would be coming out, seemed like a tragedy to see thousands crushed by cars in the road. But they survived with sheer numbers. The rocks in the river were literally white with eggs from Dobson and Stone flies. Not so anymore. Don't see many at all, either fly. Sometimes eveloution isn't all that wonderful for the environment.....

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #639 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:06 PM »
hellgrammites are  bass  candy  ...  not to mention  trout  love  them ... RG  nice  looking  flies    buddy 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #640 on: Aug 04, 2010, 05:57 PM »
They're testy little buggers to tie Trap. What do you use for legs? Got a pic of one of yours?

Thanks,
RG

1fish@atime

« Reply #641 on: Aug 04, 2010, 09:22 PM »
You got that right RG!! I kept getting frustrated with the legs. Going to try The longer deer hair I have. Run it across and zig zag it in place. Was a thought today. But had horseshoes tonight so will try again tomorrow.
Really can't wait to finish one and try it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #642 on: Aug 04, 2010, 09:54 PM »
i'll  post  a   few  in the  morning
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #643 on: Aug 05, 2010, 01:58 AM »
You got that right RG!! I kept getting frustrated with the legs. Going to try The longer deer hair I have. Run it across and zig zag it in place. Was a thought today. But had horseshoes tonight so will try again tomorrow.
Really can't wait to finish one and try it.

Well...A horseshoe shooter, and a fly tier? Very impressive 1Fish! ;) Not too many people can pull off the combination of rugged shoe tossing, then transition into fly tying! Good stuff ! Shot shoes myself for some time! Had my share of doubles. ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #644 on: Aug 05, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Got my new vise today. I'm very pleased. Tried hooks from 4/0 to #24 and it held them all rock solid. It is smooth and adjusts very easily. What a buy at $75.

I'm too whupped to tie anything tonight. Bet I'll be thinking though ::)

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.