FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561153 times)

1fish@atime

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #645 on: Aug 05, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Picked the brain of a local tying legend. He showed me to use a large black goose like making hackle. Run it down the body, then trim. He mentioned we get so consumed with making it look exact to the origanal, we forget they are fish! He also mentioned the biggest thing he learned with them is the tail. He left it off his first few attempts. Not a lot of success with it. So he added a long black feather for a tail and had the fish go nuts for it. I finished one today. Will go give it a try, as the sun goes down. Picture if it works!! LOL
Yes FM I bowled for years, and went every year to the fair with my Dad as he and his friend threw horseshoes.
I joined a group that throws every Wednesday night. Keeps Dad's memory a little closer to my heart.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #646 on: Aug 06, 2010, 02:27 AM »
No doubt that fish , especially bass, will eat just about anything. I think that when I'm messing around with an imitation, I have as much fun getting it close to natural as I do fishing it. Each has it's own time.

Let us know how you make out.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

1fish@atime

« Reply #647 on: Aug 06, 2010, 07:25 AM »
I think it was a little to dark. Had a couple small fish try to get it and miss. Should have gone this morning early.
But sending more resumes won out.... Maybe it will prove to be more productive....Who knows.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #648 on: Aug 06, 2010, 11:38 AM »
sorry  i  havn't tied  or  gotten  the  camera  out ...  HT  is  to blame   be  droped  off  so  many  veggies  i  been packing  and freezing all  day ...big  thank  you  HT!!!!! 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #649 on: Aug 06, 2010, 11:45 AM »
you haven't got that done yet  ??? ??? I just checked my back garden last night and my other 2 - 30' rows of beans have to be picked  :-\ make some more room in your freezer Trapper. mine is already full   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #650 on: Aug 06, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Geez....I'd take a ride and help you out, but I stopped to see the veggie girl last night on the way home from work ;D

Gotta help the poor kid with her college fund, ya know?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Gamma Fish

« Reply #651 on: Aug 06, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Geez....I'd take a ride and help you out, but I stopped to see the veggie girl last night on the way home from work ;D

Gotta help the poor kid with her college fund, ya know?

RG
How much did she charge you  ;D ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

KingPerch

« Reply #652 on: Aug 06, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Hey RG, I've got two kids that have to go to college..... Wanna HELP me out pal???? LOL!! ;D--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #653 on: Aug 06, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I think we  should change this thread's name to "Dirty Old Farts With Fly Rods" ::)

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #654 on: Aug 06, 2010, 04:06 PM »
You dirty 'ol Fart RG!!!!! Wait, GAMMA did it, your innocent!!!!! GAMMA always starting trouble!!! Trapper, You better handle your boy GAMMA!!!!! I think he's talking POOP again!!--KP ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #655 on: Aug 06, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Who's talkin' poop?  ??? Gamma No Fish?  ???
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #656 on: Aug 07, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Thought ya might like to see the new vise.

So far I really like it. I can bend a #2 hook in a circle and it doesn't budge in the jaws. The rotary function is extremely smooth and the adjustments are all simple/stupid. Even I can understand how they work.

It gets my seal of approval as a real bargain on a great tool ;D

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #657 on: Aug 07, 2010, 01:25 PM »
rg i  love  it! nice  vice  and  if  it  funtions  that well  it  was a  great  bargin!  i like  the  tandom  streamers  too ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #658 on: Aug 07, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Those are old Trap. I don't think I've made any in 20 years. I was cleaning out one of my Perrine boxes to make room for some new stuff and found them. Used to troll them on Seneca and Cayuga behind Suttons. Killers for those Atlantics ;D

I was making up some Micky Finns and Dace streamers to get the feel for the vise. I haven't really learned how to make serious use of the rotary function yet. I'm gonna practice on a bunch of woolly buggers. I need to replenish my assortment for the fall anyway and they seem a perfect pattern to learn how to use it. I'm not real sure about the bobbin rest attachment. Seems like it's always in the way...but the old wheels are already spinning towards a solution ;D

RG

1fish@atime

« Reply #659 on: Aug 07, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Nice vise!! Looks all aerospace technology compared to mine.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.