FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560673 times)

walleye1

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #795 on: Sep 01, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Got a finished basement with a knick or crannie that I should be able to call my own. I think alot of the fabric was purchased by Walleye1 back when he was doing a lot of Steelie fishing on the SR.
Took a pic of my first fly, but for some reason I noticed a small damp spot on the interior lens of the cam. So if the pics are blurry, that is the reason. And I apoligize ahead of time

lets see if any of these pics came out better. This one makes the fly look like a friggin poodle IMO. Funny, I'm getting a kick from this

LMAO at the poodle fly!  ;D Who knows? It could be deadly. Actually I got that vice when I was in junior high. Believe it or not they did have vices back then.  ;) The rest of the stuff I bought through the years.

1fish@atime

« Reply #796 on: Sep 01, 2010, 06:10 AM »
Looks like you started with an American Standard bred. Soon you'll be tying some miniatures and toys.....LOL
You'll be smiling from ear to ear when you get the first steelie or salmon on a fly you tied. Good job.
Hope you don't have a addictive personality, fly tying will drive you nuts if you do....That's why I keep my vice out of sight....

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #797 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Well, here we go friends with my newest venture in the fly fishing realm. My neighbor and close friend Walleye1, as I previously reported,we have been getting ourselves more focused with this area of fishing. Walleye1 just happened to dig out some beautiful old tying gear that....I think his Grandfather gave him years ago. (I may be wrong, but he will amend it if I am). Brought it home tonight and layed alot of it out for some pics for you seasoned guys to see, and hopefully comment on. After I make this post, I am gonna play around for a bit. I do hope for some input from everyone here though! Looking for simple fly ideas to start with!

The vice is a clamp on style, I put a hook in it and drew down the clamp, held very well.

Here is a pic of the manufacturer, and the box it came in.

The remaining of the pics are the chenille, bobbins, multitudes of hairs, threads, etc. Some stuff I don't even know the name of ?  Thanks again Tim! ;)

Looks like your all set!!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #798 on: Sep 01, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Boy I wish the pics weren't so blurry. That's an interesting fly.

Question.....what are you going to target? Bass...bluegills...trout....salmon???

Trap's gonna have to take you shopping.  :P

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #799 on: Sep 01, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Boy I wish the pics weren't so blurry. That's an interesting fly.

Question.....what are you going to target? Bass...bluegills...trout....salmon???

Trap's gonna have to take you shopping.  :P

RG

I'm gonna start with pans at first, then maybe move towards winter steelies

Gamma Fish

« Reply #800 on: Sep 01, 2010, 09:12 PM »
I'm gonna start with pans at first, then maybe move towards winter steelies
Bring the chenille, calf tail red thread and a bobbin to the shop Friday.    I'll give you a couple quick pointers and tie up enough panfish jigs to last you a year ! ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #801 on: Sep 02, 2010, 02:07 AM »
Flies.....they're flies not jigs Mr. T !

Trapper...we're gonna have to save this guy from the "Jig Head" :-\

FM, do you have a decent pair of scissors yet ?

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Gamma Fish

« Reply #802 on: Sep 02, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Flies.....they're flies not jigs Mr. T !

Trapper...we're gonna have to save this guy from the "Jig Head" :-\

FM, do you have a decent pair of scissors yet ?

RG

Pack your lunch ! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #803 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Stole a pair of grooming scissors from my daughters bedroom, only took her one day to start griping about them missing. Wait till she finds out where they went, and what dad has been using them for. :rotflol: :whistling:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #804 on: Sep 02, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Pack your lunch ! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm relatively old...but I have stamina...and, as of today I've dropped 20 lbs. If nothing else...I can out run you. Unless we're racing to the buffet ;D

FM...You NEED a decent pair of scissors. Next to your vise, it's the most important tool you'll own....and you know the value of a good tool. $20 or less will get you a really good pair. Dr Slick All Purpose are a very good buy.

RG

Chainsaw

« Reply #805 on: Sep 03, 2010, 04:16 AM »
I'm relatively old...but I have stamina...and, as of today I've dropped 20 lbs. If nothing else...I can out run you. Unless we're racing to the buffet ;D

FM...You NEED a decent pair of scissors. Next to your vise, it's the most important tool you'll own....and you know the value of a good tool. $20 or less will get you a really good pair. Dr Slick All Purpose are a very good buy.
RG

I totally agree on this one. I keep half a dozen pair handy too. Some are downright expensive and gotta be guarded from nephews who'd use 'em as wire cutters. Get a real good couple of sets and guard 'em with yer life. When new the scissors on a good Swiss Army knife work fairly well streamside. you have to learn how to sharpen  them though with repeated use.

pipeline

« Reply #806 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:14 AM »
Stole a pair of grooming scissors from my daughters bedroom, only took her one day to start griping about them missing. Wait till she finds out where they went, and what dad has been using them for. :rotflol: :whistling:
[/she better sleep with one eye open  :o fly tyers like to experiment with different kinds of hair :o :oquote]

pipeline

« Reply #807 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:17 AM »
well that dosent look right  any way she may have a new hair style !!

Gamma Fish

« Reply #808 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:56 AM »

Yeah but I know your weakness !    All I have to do is set a bottle of Heineken and a couple ice jigs on the table and you'll be slobbering all over them like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert ! ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #809 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Dang I hate being predictable :-\

Stopped and saw the "Old Hippie" at gander today. Needed some materials and thread. I have to say, Pete has done a nice job stocking fly tying materials there. Good to see.

It was also nice to see his focus on customers. Rare for a big box store. Great job Doc :clapping:

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.