FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560709 times)

1fish@atime

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #825 on: Sep 06, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Today was a lot better. Two 5-6lb lakers and a 15" salmon!! Yeah team.....
Buddy lost a good fish on his streamer. I still have a couple that I tied years ago. Will have to try again. Need to get some more wire for double hooks. The rainbow smelt pattern was good this morning. Then went to a gold spoon. But fish in the boat.

1fish@atime

« Reply #826 on: Sep 06, 2010, 12:41 PM »
Hellgrammite looks great RG. Those little beetles are really cool. I'll try messing with foam a little this winter.
If the ice fishing allows.... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #827 on: Sep 06, 2010, 01:58 PM »
It's a work in progress. I have another one in the vise that I started this morning. I was tying and thought...."what the he__ are you doing here?"

I grabbed a few boxes of flies and donned my waders. First I hit a nice hole I usually fish in the evening. Got a few gills and little smallies on hoppers and beetles. Tried streamers and my miniature clousers...not much. Tied on a hellgrammite and hooked a few rockies and bluegills. Had one big hit on the hellie. Only had it for a few seconds. Probably a largemouth.

I moved to another part of the stream that I've never fished and tied on a dace imitation I used to make for another warm water creek. I had a ball from then on. Bluegills, rockies and smallmouth....oh my! What a riot.

Bad part was, I only had 4 of those flies. Three in a silver pattern and one in gold...they didn't like the gold :-\

I sat down to rest on a nice boulder and was adding a new piece of tippet. I'm sure I put the one was using on my vest, but when I went to tie it on...it was gone. I dug out one of the 2 remaining and promptly hung it in a tree about 25' in the air........1.left....I decided to call it a day. I needed one to duplicate.

A great day though. Watched the blackest mink I've ever seen for a good long time. Man I like those critters.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #828 on: Sep 06, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Life is good RG!!-KP ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #829 on: Sep 06, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Life is good RG!!-KP ;)
it was nice to see you again today my freind and the boy!

KingPerch

« Reply #830 on: Sep 07, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Jr. want to go goose hunting HT!!!! ;) Then I can send feathers to the 'Ol Farts on this thread!!! ;)--KP ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #831 on: Sep 07, 2010, 04:07 PM »
We can always use more material (assuming you'd be kind enough to include me ;D)

I've been carrying a pocket knife with me on my morning run...2 gray and 1 red squirrel tails so far. Road kill flies......I love it :rotflol:
I need to throw some stuff in my bucket truck for harvesting. The deer are stacking up on the roads. Counted 9 on 390 south from Rochester to Bath this morning.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #832 on: Sep 07, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Do ya have to do anything to prep them tails for storage? Like soak in brine solution?

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #833 on: Sep 07, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Do ya have to do anything to prep them tails for storage? Like soak in brine solution?
take the bone out and salt it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #834 on: Sep 07, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Squirrel are generally left on the bone. It's mostly tendons. Deer tails have to be removed from the bones and the meat and fat eviscerated. Salting with pickling or kosher salt works....remove all the fat you can or it will eventually stink beyond your wife's tolerance :-\ Salt it down good and put it in the refrigerator for a month or so....or salt it down and wrap it loosely in newspaper and store it in the garage...protected from bugs and animals.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #835 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Squirrel are generally left on the bone. It's mostly tendons. Deer tails have to be removed from the bones and the meat and fat eviscerated. Salting with pickling or kosher salt works....remove all the fat you can or it will eventually stink beyond your wife's tolerance :-\ Salt it down good and put it in the refrigerator for a month or so....or salt it down and wrap it loosely in newspaper and store it in the garage...protected from bugs and animals.

RG
Is eviscerated kinda like evicted???  ;D--KP 8)

Chainsaw

« Reply #836 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:06 PM »

A 3 to 1 mix of salt and Borax. The salt cures and dries and the Borax prevents bugs. New York State Museum recipe for preservation.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #837 on: Sep 08, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Is eviscerated kinda like evicted???  ;D--KP 8)
Kinda ;)

Never thought of adding the borax...Thanks for the tip.

RG

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #838 on: Sep 09, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Good tips guys. Gonna try a few more fly's tonight if I get a chance. Pics to follow if I think they are worthy or funny enough.

KingPerch

« Reply #839 on: Sep 09, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Post 'em anyways FM!! If I can ever get my photobucket acct. figured out.... I'll post some I have tied over the last year!! Always good for the head at times to go to the vise to unwind!! ;) LIFE IS GOOD!!!--KP 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.