FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561156 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #840 on: Sep 09, 2010, 07:12 PM »
KP, You're gonna confuse the bejeebers out of FM...You WIND at the vise...not unwind ;D

Post those pics!
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #841 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Well Gents, Walleye1 and I have been hanging out in the basement for an hour or so, playing around with the fly bench. Found out tonight that Mookie got into all those nice calf tails that I left out on the bench after the last time I played around. Now all the real hair is history except for tufts of hair spread around the basement floor. Thanks Mook! Well here is a couple pics of W1 and I playing around and having a nice friendly laugh with each other.

Walleye1 being studious.

FM at his turn on the bench

W1 at his best now saying "Grasshopper, this is how ya roll a bobbin"

My turn at the bench again, trying to show W1 up, at no progress

Now, here is some pics of our outcome. Have fun with these men....cause we did!

And last but not least...W1's Grean Butt Skunk, lacking some green. :P

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #842 on: Sep 10, 2010, 01:29 AM »
That's the way to get after them guys ;D

Now...get them wet and see what happens.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

walleye1

« Reply #843 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:38 AM »
That's the way to get after them guys ;D

Now...get them wet and see what happens.

RG

It must be painful for you to see these pics RG.  ;D It's been 20+ years since I sat down in front of the vise and I think it's blatantly obvious! Give me and FM a couple of weeks and I think you'll see an improvement. This all depends on if we can keep Mookie out of the materials. 

FM - Had a blast!!!!  ;) ;D   

1fish@atime

« Reply #844 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Hey guys....Your last post W1 sums it up...Have fun. Like RG said, tie one on(flies that is) and send it out.
A lot of secret special patterns were created by that method. I'm going to try a couple of smelt streamers.
I don't have any wire to use for a double hook, but do have some #3 long shanks that may just do. I'm going to remember to have the fly rod in the boat the next time out. The salmon were going nuts on the surface early. I want to try a smaller smelt pattern and strip it fast through them.

KingPerch

« Reply #845 on: Sep 10, 2010, 04:08 PM »
KP, You're gonna confuse the bejeebers out of FM...You WIND at the vise...not unwind ;D

Post those pics!
RG
I think your right RG!! Look at the focus 'Ol FM has on that vise of his.... Wonder what was going through his mind then.... and I quote, " Now would RG wind this way or would KP unwind that way! ;D  Your doing good Lance, Keep it up Buddy!!!!  I'll take a couple of those butt green skunk flies!! ;D  They would probably work good on CARP!! ;D--KP ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #846 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I think I have a name for the first fly......

The Exploding Chicken
You're hilarious Walleye1.  I'm no master by any means. Still learning with the rest of the fly tying world.

2 things I've learned;
It's very hard to eat yogurt with chopsticks
Any fly will catch a fish...no matter how ugly it is to you.

Keep having fun.

RG

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #847 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Glad you guy's are having fun with this. W1 and I had a blast last night farting around. Our motto was "make whatever comes to our mind", Soon I will start being studious and more professional. More pics to come guys.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #848 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I was thinking I'd do some pics of tying the 5 essential flies. That's if I can pick 5 essential flies :-\

Any suggestions will be appreciated and I'll try to do step by steps for whatever we decide are the 5. Maybe if Trapper ever gets through killing Canadian fish, he'll lend his expertise.

I'd pick;
Muddler Minnow
Mickey Finn
Bead Prince
Woolly Bugger
Foam Spider

RG

1fish@atime

« Reply #849 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Not sure RG those are good choices.
Where I am located I would probably substitute a Dunn for the foam spider.
Or maybe a Coachman... Not sure, always amazed me that a fly like that would catch as many fish as it does.
Wow really tough to choose just five flies....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #850 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:43 PM »
No problem. I had a hard time trying to pick 5. I mean, how can you go fishing without Elk Hair caddis  or a dace or a hellgrammite ???

Uh Oh! I sound like those bass guys :P

RG

1fish@atime

« Reply #851 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I never did get around to posting a pic of my best Hellgrammite.
Here you go FM, you see we all don't tie flies like RG and Trapper do. It is an art.

Yeah that's the best one I tied. They aren't easy to get that Big shield behind the head. Tried three methods.
I think the best is this one, just used a real large black thread and a lot of glue.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #852 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:27 PM »
I have absolutely no complaints on your tying capabilities 1fish. Your work looks fine to me.

RG...I would like you guys to start out with a list of fly tying basic essentials. Regarding basic gear needed for the patterns you suggested. Mookie ate everything that I left out that was Organic. All my tails are gone. I should follow him around with a little baggie, and retrieve my tails! Reminds me of a Cheech and Chong movie.

1fish@atime

« Reply #853 on: Sep 11, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Your not old enough to remember that are you?? LMAO I sure do..... What kind of S@$T is this, Labrador maaannnn......It's Dave maaaaannn......I think the Wedding album was one of the funniest compilation of material anyone ever recorded......
OK, we should be able to put together a list for you.
Are you going to concentrate on salmon and trout or panfish/bass. I always wondered if you could catch Walleye on a fly....

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #854 on: Sep 11, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Your not old enough to remember that are you?? LMAO I sure do..... What kind of S@$T is this, Labrador maaannnn......It's Dave maaaaannn......I think the Wedding album was one of the funniest compilation of material anyone ever recorded......
OK, we should be able to put together a list for you.
Are you going to concentrate on salmon and trout or panfish/bass. I always wondered if you could catch Walleye on a fly....

Yes, I'm old enough to remember them movies. Actually "It tastes like mauiey wauiey to me" ;D
I don't plan on really concentrating on one species of fish. I'm thinking as the different seasons come up....them will be the fly's that I will focus on. Always gonna bring my spin rods as a back up also, for a while. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.