FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560897 times)

KingPerch

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #855 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Glad you guy's are having fun with this. W1 and I had a blast last night farting around. Our motto was "make whatever comes to our mind", Soon I will start being studious and more professional. More pics to come guys.
FM, I have a beginner's fly tying book here with illustrations and precedures for you to use. I'll drop it off to you next week. Hope it helps a little!! Tightlines!!--KP ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #856 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Your not old enough to remember that are you?? LMAO I sure do..... What kind of S@$T is this, Labrador maaannnn......It's Dave maaaaannn......I think the Wedding album was one of the funniest compilation of material anyone ever recorded......
OK, we should be able to put together a list for you.
Are you going to concentrate on salmon and trout or panfish/bass. I always wondered if you could catch Walleye on a fly....
DAVE'S NOT HERE MAN!!!! ;D--KP 8)

KingPerch

« Reply #857 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:33 PM »
DAVE'S NOT HERE MAN!!!! ;D--KP 8)
Your not old enough to remember that are you?? LMAO I sure do..... What kind of S@$T is this, Labrador maaannnn......It's Dave maaaaannn......I think the Wedding album was one of the funniest compilation of material anyone ever recorded......
OK, we should be able to put together a list for you.
Are you going to concentrate on salmon and trout or panfish/bass. I always wondered if you could catch Walleye on a fly....
I caught 2 walleyes once on the fly......Filet and release was doing a flyby in his boat one time and two waldos ended up in my net!!! :w00t:  Probably not what you were referring to!!!LOL!!  Where in the world is Trapper??? If anybody has seen or talked to the 'Ol Buzzard tell him to check in once in awhile so we know he's still vertical!!! ;D--KP

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #858 on: Sep 11, 2010, 05:19 PM »
The Rockies like my Brown Nose Dace ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

1fish@atime

« Reply #859 on: Sep 12, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Friend caught a nice laker yesterday on a tandem #10 Black nose dace.  He had a few more hits, just couldn't hook them. I have one last day to try for them, well maybe two....LOL  Thinking of tying a couple on something bigger. #3 with a two inch shank. Make the body about 4-5". One rainbow smelt and a Dace.

That's a great picture RG. Like those with the fly visible in the corner of the mouth. Nice work..

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #860 on: Sep 12, 2010, 10:07 PM »
RG, that is a really bright colored Rockie. Does anyone know if they crossbreed with other species? The dukes I catch around here seem to be darker in color.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #861 on: Sep 13, 2010, 02:57 AM »
Those rockies were well fed and the stream was up and clear. I'd say plenty of oxygen. They're residents as they're well past a down stream barrier.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #862 on: Sep 13, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Here's a fun fly that is...as far as I know, my own recipe.

# 12 drop eye, light wire hook
Black rooster neck hackle
peacock herl
red duck feather fibers
flat black danville 210 denier thread
small chain bead eyes (keychain)

Bob's Beady Eyed Bluegill Buster  ;D
Lay down a thread base...a drop of super glue is good

Tie in a small bunch of duck feather fibers for a tail...I like red.

Tie in 4 - 6 pieces of peacock herl

Tie in a piece of neck hackle

Tie in a pair of chain bead eyes...size to the hook.

Wrap the peacock herl forward, secure behind the eyes. Pull over the eyes and secure in front of the eyes

Wind the hackle forward, Palmered, and secure behind the eyes

Bring the peacock herl back behind the eyes and secure

Bring the peacock herl forward again and tie off in front. Form a neat head and whip finish with a drop of cement.

Finished fly

I absolutely gaurantee this to murder bluegills....or your money back ;D

Try other color patterns. Olive seems to be very effective in the spring.

Have fun,
RG

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #863 on: Sep 13, 2010, 06:25 PM »
wow that is something right there RG. i have seen some videos on the internet that do not even compare what you just showed. i am honered to see that. like i said i could use some nice salmon flys if you get bored ::) ::) nice flys MR. 8)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #864 on: Sep 13, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Spectacular RG! :thumbup_smilie: Not ready for that one yet, nor do I have all the correct materials. Next time I'm in the Pulaski area, I plan on stopping by All Seasons Sports and picking up some supplies. Do you guys have a "basic essential" list to recommend.

Also, can you elaborate on the whip finish technique? W1, and I were talking about that, but he wasn't quite sure on how it is done.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #865 on: Sep 14, 2010, 01:59 AM »
Don't be intimidated! That's a very easy fly to tie FM. It has the basic elements of a lot of different patterns including the woolly bugger, which should be in every fly fisher's box.

Here's a link to a demo for using the whip finisher. Tyers use a tool or just do it by hand. My fingers seem too darn big to do hand whip finishing on smaller hooks.
Whip Finishing
Youtube is a fantastic resource for instruction. Just search "how to tie a fly" and you'll get a bunch of great video instruction. Of course you may get some yahoo performing sado-masochism on a house fly, but....... :-\

Basic list eh?

That's a tough one FM. Again, I'll suggest you pick a particular fly you want to learn and buy materials for that fly. It's the approach you'll need to use until you accumulate a bunch of stuff and get some basic techniques down....which will be sooner than you might think. I think when Trapper gets back in town , we should pick a day and have some fun tying. That'll give me a chance to pick up some ideas from the old buzzard too ;D

I'll do a woolly bugger next.

RG

walleye1

« Reply #866 on: Sep 14, 2010, 06:40 AM »
Good lesson RG! All help is greatly appreciated.

KingPerch

« Reply #867 on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:01 PM »
wow that is something right there RG. i have seen some videos on the internet that do not even compare what you just showed. i am honered to see that. like i said i could use some nice salmon flys if you get bored ::) ::) nice flys MR. 8)
Those salmon flies are easy to tie HT!!! #6 hook with a bit o' kitchen sponge WOUND up on it!!! SO EASY, EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN TIE THEM!!!! LOL!! Jr. and I just inherited a bunch of flies yesterday!!!! Man, Are they sweet!!!! ;)--KP 8)

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #868 on: Sep 14, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Those salmon flies are easy to tie HT!!! #6 hook with a bit o' kitchen sponge WOUND up on it!!! SO EASY, EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN TIE THEM!!!! LOL!! Jr. and I just inherited a bunch of flies yesterday!!!! Man, Are they sweet!!!! ;)--KP 8)
so easy a cave man can do it HA. well fm should be able to do that right ??? sorry walley1.  ;D ;D ;D tie me some flys boys and the uglier the better. i like seeing those mud sharks flying out of the water with that fly in the corner of their mouth or at least close to there  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D :-* 8)

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #869 on: Sep 14, 2010, 05:06 PM »
Nice tie~i bet that would snag some steelhead under a float too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.