FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 562007 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #960 on: Sep 28, 2010, 02:20 AM »
Pick a pattern to tie. Start with something universal like a Hair's Ear Nymph, or a Bead Prince Nymph, or a Woolly Bugger. Get the materials you need to tie that pattern and get it down. That's how you're going to figure out what to do with thread, fur, feathers and linear materials like chenille, wire and tinsel.

If you want help with a pattern, I'll do some pics for you. I'm working on the digital video thing ;)

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #961 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:03 AM »
Yeah, I gotta start to learn patterns, these are just made up as I go along. Does help get the dexterity down though. If ya got time to post some of the more basic patterns, heck yes, I'd love to see them.

1fish@atime

« Reply #962 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:32 AM »
Nice job FM!! They look like nice caterpillar patterns. Bet a green and black ringed one would work good this time of year.

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #963 on: Sep 28, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Had a few minutes to play around again with the vice, gotta get a bigger variety of materials to try different things, still getting accustomed to clean wraps etc.

Looking Good FM!!!!! :D 8)
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #964 on: Sep 28, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I'll work something up tomorrow...aftrenoon.
I'm fishing in the AM ;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #965 on: Sep 29, 2010, 12:52 AM »
Thanks a ton KP SR. for stopping by the shop and dropping off that fly tying book for beginners. ("Fly Tying made clear and simple") Wriien by Skip Morris.

After I closed the shop, I went to a neighbors house to install a new outdoor water spicket and ball type shut off valve, that project turned into some minor masonry work, which will take a couple days to dry until we can finish the rest of the project.

When I got home, I decided to start doing a bit of reading, and shortly after, try my version of the wooly bugger. Mind ya's that this fly is lacking most of the proper items, including the proper hook, hackle, and maribou plume, I made due with what is available to me at this time, not real pretty, but I'm not too proud to share! Have a good chuckle friends! This one is on me.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #966 on: Sep 29, 2010, 03:36 AM »
years and years  ago  i flyfished  with a older man , who's still around  ...and i  tied  some adam  dry flys  ...they were perfect  lance!!!!  but  there was a heavy  hatch  that morning  and the  fish past  my perfect  dry  flys  up  for  the  naturals  ...the old  fella  said trapp  let me see  your fly  ...and  he beat  the hell out of it  on a rock ....  then said  try it ......  waaaaaammmmm  !!!!!!   i learned  sometimes  not so perfect  is  perfect!!!!! nice  fly  buddy ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

griz104

« Reply #967 on: Sep 29, 2010, 01:10 PM »
The only thing i would do different on that Fly is i would not tie down the bend so far.. Try and stop it a bit further up so it is kinda a straight line.. Only reason i say this is because the tail will give you problems with hook set.. Especially when it's marabou..Hope it's all right i threw my 2 cents in..

KingPerch

« Reply #968 on: Sep 29, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Anytime Lance!! Glad to be of some help to you!! I'm not that great at tying myself, but, Like Trap said... and I quote," sometimes not so perfect.... is perfect."!! ;) Keep at it, and finesse it everytime you tie a fly and you'll get it!! By the way, that fly looks great!! ;) keep up the good work!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #969 on: Sep 29, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I'll give you one of those "Many Years Ago" stories too. My first attempts at tying woolly buggers produced something similar to a brown rooster on a stick. I took one of those flies to Canandaigua outlet. (At the time I didn't realize that a fly fisher needs 24 of every fly known to modern man to catch a single fish, :-\)

Anyway I tossed it into a pool where it hit the water with the subtlety of a 12" cinder block. To my joy and dismay, a huge smallmouth inhaled it and broke the surface by 3' or so. Having no idea what to do with that monster...on a flyrod...added to the confusion.

Long story short, I landed that fish and proudly released it.

My point, you may ask? Go fishing with your flies!

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #970 on: Sep 29, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Here you Go FM.
My "Conehead Woolly Bugger"
Materials;
Olive Marabou
Olive hen Neck Hackle
Olive Chenille
Olive, flat 210 denier thread
1/64oz plated conehead
#6 straight shank hook (I use an Aberdeen)
Whip Finisher
Smooth Jaw Pliers (to flatten the barb)
Super glue
Scissors
Bodkin

Flatten the hook barb and slide on the  cone head. Start the tread about 1/4" back from the eye and build a small head behind the cone. Carry the thread to the start of the hook bend. A drop of super glue on the thread is good at this point.
Tie in a Marabou feather tip on top of the hook and wrap evenly to behind the cone head.

Trim off the excess marabou and carry the thread to the bend of the hook again. Tie in the tip of the olive hackle and the olive chenille. Wrap the thread to just behind the cone head.

Wrap the chenille forward and tie off

Wrap the hackle forward, tie off and whip finish behind the cone head.

Push the cone head back to the chenille

Start the thread in front of the cone head and wrap a neat tapered head. Whip finish and apply a drop of glue or head cement.

That's all there is to it :-\

RG

griz104

« Reply #971 on: Sep 30, 2010, 06:02 AM »
here is another great site with a ton of tutorials on it.. Very easy to tie following these directions...

http://flyguysoutfitting.com/flytutorials.html

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #972 on: Sep 30, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Here you Go FM.
My "Conehead Woolly Bugger"
Materials;
Olive Marabou
Olive hen Neck Hackle
Olive Chenille
Olive, flat 210 denier thread
1/64oz plated conehead
#6 straight shank hook (I use an Aberdeen)
Whip Finisher
Smooth Jaw Pliers (to flatten the barb)
Super glue
Scissors
Bodkin

Flatten the hook barb and slide on the  cone head. Start the tread about 1/4" back from the eye and build a small head behind the cone. Carry the thread to the start of the hook bend. A drop of super glue on the thread is good at this point.
Tie in a Marabou feather tip on top of the hook and wrap evenly to behind the cone head.

Trim off the excess marabou and carry the thread to the bend of the hook again. Tie in the tip of the olive hackle and the olive chenille. Wrap the thread to just behind the cone head.

Wrap the chenille forward and tie off

Wrap the hackle forward, tie off and whip finish behind the cone head.

Push the cone head back to the chenille

Start the thread in front of the cone head and wrap a neat tapered head. Whip finish and apply a drop of glue or head cement.

That's all there is to it :-\

RG
RG that is quite impressive. you should be a teacher.  ;D

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #973 on: Sep 30, 2010, 06:33 AM »
The only thing i would do different on that Fly is i would not tie down the bend so far.. Try and stop it a bit further up so it is kinda a straight line.. Only reason i say this is because the tail will give you problems with hook set.. Especially when it's marabou..Hope it's all right i threw my 2 cents in..
Heck yeah it's all right to throw your .02 in!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #974 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:10 AM »
rg  suggestion   for  steelies  use  colored  cones   ;D  or my  trick  go to joannes  and  get  some  bright colored  fabric  paint  and  a  drop  of pink,green or  blue  on  the  head  ;D......nice  fly
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.