FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561320 times)

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1035 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Here I go again RG........I could google it, but I prefer your explanations. What is a rotary, in fly tieing terms, I haven't run across that one yet!
im no expert but its a vise, and it spins, im guess ing so you dont have to wrap, not something i need for the flies i tie,  i tie a mean flesh fly, very difficult, lol

Gamma Fish

« Reply #1036 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Here I go again RG........I could google it, but I prefer your explanations. What is a rotary, in fly tieing terms, I haven't run across that one yet!
It's a high speed, motorized, pedal operated fly tying vice !     You just put the hook in the jaws, add some cement to the hook, step on the speed control pedal, stand back and toss a fistful of feathers, dubbing, bucktail, chenille and thread at the the hook and then take you foot off the pedal.    Finished product in a matter of seconds !   :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I could be wrong...................... ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1037 on: Oct 07, 2010, 02:37 AM »

Gamma's close....but he forgot that I'm a frugal (downright cheap) S.O.B.. So, I bought the hand cranked model ;D I like the glue and throw idea though. I'll have to try that. Maybe I can rig an air assist...a length of tube ....rig a breech....attach a quick valve and trigger.....add compressed air.....load the breech...spin the pre-glued  hook and FIRE!

VOILA'....INSTANT FLY ;D

I watch Mythbusters too much :-\

To answer your question FM, you are correct, the head of the vise rotates by means of the crank handle. This enables one to rotate the hook and add materials rather than wrapping the materials around the hook. On certain flies like woolly buggers and streamers , it's fast. I'm not too good with it yet and I still like to tie with the vice in a stationary position.

On that reverse tied stone fly, it was very handy. It's hard to think backwards, especially when you have trouble thinking forwards :-\

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1038 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:04 AM »
sorry but i HAVE to put in my comment about KP,S buddy. Gamma reminds of a snake head at times. do not ask me why but i think it has to do with the lack of fishing  ::) ::) ::) :-* :-* ;D
HT, The Last thing you wanna do is.... PUT GAMMA and SNAKEHEAD on the same page....'Ol Trapper's gonna get fired up on this one!! He lost his buddy ROCKY this year, so, it's a sensitive subject!!!! ;D Good Morning to you 'Old Farts!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1039 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:12 AM »
i heard  storys  RG  made  a  ton of  money  as  a  moderator  and  now  can afford  fancy  fly  tying  vises  and  wild  trips  to  joannes  fabrics! i  also  think  if  gamma   gives  us  all a  bunch  of  his  jigs  we  will allow  him  to  hang out  with us ! (not in public)  and  you'll  even  be  allowed  to  say  were  your  friends  gamma !  again not  in public!  i'm  doing  up  some  single  glue  eggs  today , i  have  had  good  luck  with them  last year  and i  would  like   frank to  test a  few  center pinning  for  me .... rg  i love the tandoms!  those  would  be  rainbow  crushers  on  the  smaller  finger  lakes!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #1040 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:18 AM »
i heard  storys  RG  made  a  ton of  money  as  a  moderator  and  now  can afford  fancy  fly  tying  vises  and  wild  trips  to  joannes  fabrics! i  also  think  if  gamma   gives  us  all a  bunch  of  his  jigs  we  will allow  him  to  hang out  with us ! (not in public)  and  you'll  even  be  allowed  to  say  were  your  friends  gamma !  again not  in public!  i'm  doing  up  some  single  glue  eggs  today , i  have  had  good  luck  with them  last year  and i  would  like   frank to  test a  few  center pinning  for  me .... rg  i love the tandoms!  those  would  be  rainbow  crushers  on  the  smaller  finger  lakes!
i will be willing to give those eggs a try also you know  ??? ???

KingPerch

« Reply #1041 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:48 AM »
RG, That small box with the holes drilled in it is a great way to get dubbing and whatever from it. Great Idea!!  By the way, you are very organized!!!! ;) You can leave some things outta place if you want to, we're all buds on here!!--KP 8)

trapper2000

« Reply #1042 on: Oct 07, 2010, 10:18 AM »
RG  where  the  hell is  yer  hienken????  come  on  do i have  to teach ya  how  to set up your bench????....salmon  really  killed   yarn  flies  today  oh my ...... 

Gamma Fish

« Reply #1043 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Sniffing or tying ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D   I would assume the former due to your antics lately ! ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

trapper2000

« Reply #1044 on: Oct 07, 2010, 12:05 PM »
pats  gamma  on the  head  ,heres a  buck  go  buy a soda  and play in the  road.....  sunny out  right  now  hope  it  stays  this way  for awhile streams are loaded and  almost unfishable  ....  i hate  putting weight  on a  leader 

KingPerch

« Reply #1045 on: Oct 07, 2010, 01:21 PM »
pats  gamma  on the  head  ,heres a  buck  go  buy a soda  and play in the  road.....  sunny out  right  now  hope  it  stays  this way  for awhile streams are loaded and  almost unfishable  ....  i hate  putting weight  on a  leader 
:rotflol: :w00t: :rotflol: :w00t: :rotflol: :w00t: :rotflol: :w00t:--KP 8)

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #1046 on: Oct 07, 2010, 04:03 PM »
RG, That small box with the holes drilled in it is a great way to get dubbing and whatever from it. Great Idea!!  By the way, you are very organized!!!! ;) You can leave some things outta place if you want to, we're all buds on here!!--KP 8)

OCD much god,  you shuld see me tying flies, sh*& everywhere, the floor, ceiling, dogs mouth

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1047 on: Oct 07, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Don't believe everything you see :-\

Meet Walter...he's over 101yrs old. I've had him since 1974. Got him from a older gentleman when I demolished his back yard greenhouse for him who said he had him for 65 years. (named for his previous caretaker)

He's a good old Jade Tree ;D

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

esox v

« Reply #1048 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Killer Jade tree.. love it.. My grandmother has had the same one forever !!! I remember that in some of my first memories being a little kid and going to their house. That and a giant aloe plant... you wont believe it but i think they have been in the same pots for 35+ years. Thanks 
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

trapper2000

« Reply #1049 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:46 PM »
very  relaxing  work area  RG thats  a  very impotant thing, i'm  tying  some kaayuk  flies  right  now  in a  range of  colors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.