FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561645 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1230 on: Nov 20, 2010, 01:47 PM »
sharkskin  cast  better ,picks  up better  and last  longer.....  hundred  bucks  tho  ....you  have  to  decide  if it's  worth it .....  i think so
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1231 on: Nov 20, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I came close to buying one till a trusted friend brought up the point that the surface tends to collect more dirt than a smooth fly line which may cause it to wear out prematurely. More surface area, more opportunity.  Could be he was correct.

Anyway, I went with a Cortland line. I've never been disappointed with their products. I have one that's over 20 years old and still serviceable.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1232 on: Nov 20, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I've heard of those jigs KP. Someone told me they hard to get hold of. I'd sure like to see a couple of those :whistling:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Gamma Fish

« Reply #1233 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I've heard of those jigs KP. Someone told me they hard to get hold of. I'd sure like to see a couple of those :whistling:

RG
Your jig box would be a good place to start looking  :P :P ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1234 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Spoilsport....I was just trying to stock up a little ;D

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1235 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Hey RG, Once I get my "stockpile", I'll be sure to get some extra....He'll have to turn his back at some point!!!! :P :P You'll be "stocked" up for sure ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Gamma Fish

« Reply #1236 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Hey RG, Once I get my "stockpile", I'll be sure to get some extra....He'll have to turn his back at some point!!!! :P :P You'll be "stocked" up for sure ;)--KP 8)
I've got eyes in the back of my head.    After years of fishing with Dark Cloud, I've become an expert at jig box security ! :whistling: :whistling: :police: ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1237 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I'm an addict for sure, but I've got plenty to last a while. "T" is, if nothing else, generous.

How's that for suckin' up :angel:

RG

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1238 on: Nov 20, 2010, 04:52 PM »
I've got eyes in the back of my head.    After years of fishing with Dark Cloud, I've become an expert at jig box security ! :whistling: :whistling: :police: ;D

Im not nearly as bad as I used to be... 5-10 years ago I had to have 10 of every jig EVER made! The last year or two I became a simpleton and maybe used 6-8 diff jigs all winter.  I think I traded in my jig problem for a Maki plastic problem though. Sure I like to paint my own just to have some jigs that nobody besides RG has.  :whistling: But  fancy colors and paint dosnt catch fish, it may give you confidence which is huge but presentation and strike detection is what gets it done...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1239 on: Nov 20, 2010, 04:57 PM »
And I ain't showin' no one  ;D

Nothing like a secret weapon!
RG

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1240 on: Nov 20, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Oh, and seeing as though this is a Fly Guy thread with some icefisherman around...
The past few winters I have been beating on shallow panfish with the flyreels. They are light, drags are awesome, and line retrieval rates are almost as good as spinning reels. And the biggest advantage of all - no line twist! Just some food for thought...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1241 on: Nov 20, 2010, 05:19 PM »
Look at you go....could make it feel like summer. Any hangups on the back cast ???

RG

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1242 on: Nov 20, 2010, 05:27 PM »
No problems with the backcast, just keep your loops open...
Actually what I did and alot of guys have been doing it to take the fly line off, fill with backing, then 50 yards of your normal ice line. Not a deep water rig but really shines in the 12 ft and shallower stuff...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1243 on: Nov 20, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Ive always used an Uncle Bucks (or similar) for shallow water. I love to be outside with the 36" rod and a level wind. I'll have to try one of my fly reels.

Thanks for the idea. I'll see ya at the show.

RG

Gamma Fish

« Reply #1244 on: Nov 20, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I'm an addict for sure, but I've got plenty to last a while. "T" is, if nothing else, generous.

How's that for suckin' up :angel:

RG
Gotta say, you're as consistent as they come  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Oh, and seeing as though this is a Fly Guy thread with some icefisherman around...
The past few winters I have been beating on shallow panfish with the flyreels. They are light, drags are awesome, and line retrieval rates are almost as good as spinning reels. And the biggest advantage of all - no line twist! Just some food for thought...

Is that what I think it is down by your feet ?  ;D ;D      Rescued from the Chinese buffet ?? :whistling: :whistling: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Im not nearly as bad as I used to be... 5-10 years ago I had to have 10 of every jig EVER made! The last year or two I became a simpleton and maybe used 6-8 diff jigs all winter.  I think I traded in my jig problem for a Maki plastic problem though. Sure I like to paint my own just to have some jigs that nobody besides RG has.  :whistling: But  fancy colors and paint dosnt catch fish, it may give you confidence which is huge but presentation and strike detection is what gets it done...

But your addiction was 20X more than a normal guy so you're still sick.......................you've just come to admitting your problem recently  ;D    
     One day last winter, while walking out of Constantia, the thought came across my mind as to why I carried 30 pounds of jigs every time I hit the ice  ???   I came to the conclusion that it was too much weight so I left my lunch, heater, and all other unneccessary gear at home to lighten the load on the next trip  ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.