FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560904 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1320 on: Mar 25, 2011, 02:27 AM »
Thanks Wiredstone. It makes me happy to see a quality line made in the good old USA. I assume it's a welded loop? I hate to break with my own tradition of using Cortland lines. I've had extraordinary good results with them.....but....it maybe time for a change. ;D

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1321 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Good morning Old Farts!! RG, What line do you use for trout on  intermediate to larger sized streams/ small rivers , where some distance in cast would be needed?? 5 wt. rod with dries and nymphs. Thanks!!--KP :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1322 on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Geez, I have to tell you that I'm not as proficient a trout fisher as most of the others around here. I've been a warm water fly fisher most of my time.

I can say that I use a weight forward on my 5, 7 and 9wt rods. I'm a Cortland guy so 444 lazer lines have been my choice for many years. For the 3wt I just finished I'm choosing between a Cortland Precision and a SA Sharkskin in a double taper...maybe both....  possibly 1 being  a half weight heavier.

Seems to me that it depends on your rod, it's flex and your casting style. Every rod (and fly fisher)  will lift and control a line differently.  A fast rod will take a heavier line if you want. It's too bad that there isn't a shop with a bunch of reels spooled up with a variety of lines that a person could try. :-\

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

celt6

« Reply #1323 on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Cant say anything bad about Cortland, learned to fly fish a few Years ago, got a nice starter set from Cortland in 5wt, 7.5 ft rod, still use that thing in the streams, .... weight forward for me, I am an amateur old fart.

oatkasut

« Reply #1324 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I typically wear out my fly line (Cortland444, WF5 wt) in one season of fishing about 70 trips or 400 hrs of fishing. What kind of life do you fellows experience from your line?Am I asking for too much to expect it to last longer?

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #1325 on: Mar 25, 2011, 10:26 PM »
I typically wear out my fly line (Cortland444, WF5 wt) in one season of fishing about 70 trips or 400 hrs of fishing. What kind of life do you fellows experience from your line?Am I asking for too much to expect it to last longer?

Good question, especially for a fly rook, as I am. How do ya know when the line is worn? Does it sink readily....or just typical dings and chaffing?

oatkasut

« Reply #1326 on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:09 AM »
the line develops cracks since the plastic coating loses plasticizer and the line becomes brittle. You can easily see the microcracks in its surface. The line is still useful  but it compromises its performance somewhat. Probably keeping the line out of sunlight and away from heat is helpful plus cleaning the line periodically would be good.

celt6

« Reply #1327 on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I stretch mine out in the spring, then apply a light coat of armor all on a piece of papertowel then rewind holding the the line between the towel.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1328 on: Mar 26, 2011, 02:05 PM »
I've used Son Of A Gun protectant ever since I rejuvenated a 10 year old line with it a few years back. I had a lightly used 7wt, Cortland 444 sink tip that was damaged by mold in a basement flood. I cleaned it as best as I could and coated it several times with Son Of A Gun and it performed very well.

I use it as a cleaner on a soft cloth. It seems to add flotation as well.

I've never had a Cortland line crack.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1329 on: Mar 26, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Hey RG, If I wipe my lines down with WD-40.....Would I catch more fish??? LOL!!! Good tips here guys!! ;) Thanks--KP 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1330 on: Mar 26, 2011, 02:11 PM »
On another note, what's your scissor collection look like.

I have to admit, I use the little green handled scissors more than any of the others. Craftsmart...Micheal's crafts...$3.99 :-\

The Ghinger scissors in the box were crazy expensive and I end up using the cheap ones....go figure.
RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1331 on: Mar 26, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Hey RG, If I wipe my lines down with WD-40.....Would I catch more fish??? LOL!!! Good tips here guys!! ;) Thanks--KP 8)
Aaaaaaaa...yeah.....you'd catch more fish....something's gotta work for you :P

Wait till you get the next box of goodies KP. You'll begin to understand the depths of my fishing addiction.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1332 on: Mar 26, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Aaaaaaaa...yeah.....you'd catch more fish....something's gotta work for you :P

Wait till you get the next box of goodies KP. You'll begin to understand the depths of my fishing addiction.

RG
First GAMMA....now RG is picking on me!!! LOL! You had better send a bill with it too!!! ;)  The anticipation of that delivery is killing me!!!! ;D

Thanks,
 KP

Gamma Fish

« Reply #1333 on: Mar 26, 2011, 03:39 PM »
On another note, what's your scissor collection look like.

I have to admit, I use the little green handled scissors more than any of the others. Craftsmart...Micheal's crafts...$3.99 :-\

The Ghinger scissors in the box were crazy expensive and I end up using the cheap ones....go figure.
RG

It just goes to show ya !   Scissors are like a box of chocolates !    You never know what you'll get !

KP. Gump
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1334 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:54 AM »
It's embarrassing how well those little scissors work. Super fine points, cut just about anything from the finest fibers to wire. The $40 pair in the box don't come close :-\

I do like the Dr Slicks for any work with deer or elk hair..

I still haven't decided on a line. I like the Sharkskin design...but...100 bucks for a fly line? Come on! I was trying to find out if it has a platinum core or what.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.