FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561142 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1335 on: Mar 27, 2011, 04:04 AM »
It's embarrassing how well those little scissors work. Super fine points, cut just about anything from the finest fibers to wire. The $40 pair in the box don't come close :-\

I do like the Dr Slicks for any work with deer or elk hair..

I still haven't decided on a line. I like the Sharkskin design...but...100 bucks for a fly line? Come on! I was trying to find out if it has a platinum core or what.

RG

And I always thought a quality tool such as, would only be useful for grooming a ripe Ol' Sicilian that probably learned facial hair growth during elementary. ;D

1fish@atime

« Reply #1336 on: Mar 27, 2011, 05:09 AM »
Probably made in an oil refinery. They call it sharkskin, Kind of like the suits they wear... ::)

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #1337 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:45 AM »
It's embarrassing how well those little scissors work. Super fine points, cut just about anything from the finest fibers to wire. The $40 pair in the box don't come close :-\

I do like the Dr Slicks for any work with deer or elk hair..

I still haven't decided on a line. I like the Sharkskin design...but...100 bucks for a fly line? Come on! I was trying to find out if it has a platinum core or what.

RG
I wouldnt go for the sharskin just because of how much it costs. I would look at the mastery fly line SA makes!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1338 on: Mar 27, 2011, 04:43 PM »
In the end I went with my favorite line...Cortland 444 Classic. DT3F. I took some casts with the new setup in the back yard and all I can say is WOW! Crisp and effortless.

I bought a nice cream Metz, some thread and some leader loops with the savings.

I can't wait to christen it with fishy smells  ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #1339 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:20 AM »
RG, do you like the DT over the WT for any reason other then the reversability issue? Do they both  fish  the same ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1340 on: Mar 28, 2011, 12:02 PM »
RG, do you like the DT over the WT for any reason other then the reversability issue? Do they both  fish  the same ?
The DT seems to be right for the 3wt. They roll cast and mend easier in my opinion. After all...how far am I going to cast with w 7' - 6" 3wt. From the feel of it, it's going to drop some delicate presentations.
Time will tell ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1341 on: Apr 08, 2011, 03:50 PM »
I figured I would chime in on the Old Farts thread here and see what I can stir up!! Sure been quiet around here!! Kinda sad though...Trapper graces us with his presense and didn't stop in here to chat and catch up with the rest of his chronies!!! Titelines gentlemen!!--KP :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1342 on: Apr 08, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Gonna have to get that old fart an Ipad with 4g   or pin a gps on him ;D
RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1343 on: Apr 09, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Gonna have to get that old fart an Ipad with 4g   or pin a gps on him ;D
RG

RG,

He don't sit still too long, I think the GPS would get tired of trying to keep up with with him!!  ;)--KP

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #1344 on: Apr 19, 2011, 02:27 AM »
How about some casting technique advice from ya seasoned vets? I've been practicing the common "roll cast", "false cast", for a change of direction, and "overhand cast" to reposition the fly. My technique can always use some critiquing.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1345 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:05 AM »
One of the biggest things I see is people "going too far". Try and keep your stroke from 10 o'clock to 2 or even a tad shorter. When people go past this it is usually from too much wrist movement. Once in a while you'll see someone with way too much arm movement and it looks painfull.  :w00t:
Another thing is rythm/ letting the line straighten out. If the line hasnt opened up all the way before bringing it the other direction your loosing power. It is easy to see in front of you but it takes some feel on the back cast. A slower rod will help with the feel. Many folks that learn on a fast rod can have trouble with that.
One big thing that puts more fish on the hook for me is the "reach cast". It is simple but helps alot of presentations. Really all it is is an up-stream mend/reach after your line has straightened out but before it has hit the water. I use this depending on current with swinging wets, nymphing, and dries. It sets up a drag free drift or gets you some depth before starting a swing...
Anything you feel needs some work with your casting?
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1346 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:47 AM »
lance  take  your   rod  in  the  drive  way  of  the   shop !  actually  watch   your   back  cast  ...watch   your  line  strighten   before  starting  your   forward   cast  ....   the  timing  is   the  bomb  bro   ;D  after  awhile  it   comes   second  nature  ,  if  you  have  trouble    let  me   know  you  got  a  coffee pot  it's all  we  need    to  hold  casting  class   right  there   ;D  next week  we  attack  the   double  haul ....two  false  cast  load  the  rod  and  let  it   fly   yeah  babyyyyyyy
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #1347 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:52 AM »
lance  take  your   rod  in  the  drive  way  of  the   shop !  actually  watch   your   back  cast  ...watch   your  line  strighten   before  starting  your   forward   cast  ....   the  timing  is   the  bomb  bro   ;D  after  awhile  it   comes   second  nature  ,  if  you  have  trouble    let  me   know  you  got  a  coffee pot  it's all  we  need    to  hold  casting  class   right  there   ;D  next week  we  attack  the   double  haul ....two  false  cast  load  the  rod  and  let  it   fly   yeah  babyyyyyyy
Lance, if you have coffee and jerky......Kp Jr. would love to do some casting with you boys!! Monster drink for Josh!! ;)--KP 8)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1348 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:54 AM »
hey   kp  jr   probablly  show   us  old  folks  up  but.......  i  still  have  a  couple   rods  and   ice   jigs   for  you  two  and  maybe  a   trip  to  the  traps   secret   fly  box   for  the  KP  JR  .....  no  beads  in  my  box  ....  i  fish  not  snag   :rotflol: :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #1349 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:58 AM »
hey   kp  jr   probablly  show   us  old  folks  up  but.......  i  still  have  a  couple   rods  and   ice   jigs   for  you  two  and  maybe  a   trip  to  the  traps   secret   fly  box   for  the  KP  JR  .....  no  beads  in  my  box  ....  i  fish  not  snag   :rotflol: :rotflol:
What are beads?? and what is snagging??? ??? Be a fun time with you guys!! Jr. would look forward to it!!  ;)--KP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.