FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561684 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1455 on: Jun 05, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Went back to the stream for a bit after dinner. Found a couple of small mouth and a bunch of gills. Mostly I was testing a fly I whipped up.. A bead head dace. Worked like a charm in the high water. So did my "bead head gill killer" ;D

I love non traditional patterns.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1456 on: Jun 05, 2011, 08:36 PM »
RG  we  need  a  12  step  program  .......hello  my  name  is  trapp  and  i'm  a  fly  fisherman ........
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1457 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:52 AM »
It's about 12 steps from my car to the stream....does that count?

The new fly was awesome. I'll send some along with the leaders. Gotta go to Harbor Freight today and get a cheap battery drill for making leaders. I want to try some leaders with 8/0 thread  for the 3wt. Had some difficulty with the wind last evening. Had to shorten the tippit  considerably to prevent knots.  I also found that my bead head mini bugger spins in heavy current. Man did it twist up the 2.7lb tippit I was using.

All good fun though ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1458 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:55 PM »
RG  we  need  a  12  step  program  .......hello  my  name  is  trapp  and  i'm  a  fly  fisherman ........
Welcome aboard Trap!! My name is King Perch...and I two, am a flyfisherman! ;D

That package arrived today RG....Jr. will be home from school soon!! ;) Thanks!

LIFE IS GOOD!!

KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1459 on: Jun 06, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Just wait till he pulls that wad of stuff out of the box. It should come out in 1 big clump of trebles and lures :rotflol:

Heck, untangling them should keep him occupied for hours.

RG

P.S.
 I do not have a fly fishing problem. I can quit any time...any time at all....any time I want. It's just that i don't want to quit. I mean, there's this new 5wt I have to build when I get time and those new bead head dace were awesome so I have to tie up a bunch more of those before tomorrow when I go after work and those mini buggers....man those mini buggers....I need to tie more of those...and I've been thinking about a vise that clamps to the steering wheel of my bucket truck so I can tie when I stop.........I repeat....I do not have a problem :-\

KingPerch

« Reply #1460 on: Jun 06, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Just wait till he pulls that wad of stuff out of the box. It should come out in 1 big clump of trebles and lures :rotflol:

Heck, untangling them should keep him occupied for hours.

RG

P.S.
 I do not have a fly fishing problem. I can quit any time...any time at all....any time I want. It's just that i don't want to quit. I mean, there's this new 5wt I have to build when I get time and those new bead head dace were awesome so I have to tie up a bunch more of those before tomorrow when I go after work and those mini buggers....man those mini buggers....I need to tie more of those...and I've been thinking about a vise that clamps to the steering wheel of my bucket truck so I can tie when I stop.........I repeat....I do not have a problem :-\
Big clump of trebles and lures???.....YES!!! Man, the look on his face when he opened that box! ;) He tells me...." I need another tackle bag Dad!!" Thanks again RG!--KP 8)

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1461 on: Jun 06, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Tank and I busted out the 5 wts this weeknd and had a ball! I got some flack from a retired Mod with a flyfishing addiction recently. He was hacking on me for useing minnows with a flyrod.  ::) ::) ;D Buddy...
We hit our favorite Delly rift with real flies this time. There was a solid hatch going on, not huge but perfect for fish activity. When there are a ton of bugs it is hard to compete with the real thing. This was just the right amount that had the fish slashing at most offerings. Many diff bugs hatching - march browns, sulphers, some big drakes, a few diff caddis, even a few blue winges olives. We did our damage on a traditional hares ear wet, a lead wing coachman, and an emerger patter of my own design. Basically it is a standard nymph with a small loop wing made from maribou tips or cdc.  8)
We had  about 3 hours being busy with one of us into a fish most of the time. Mostly 14-17 inch wild rainbows with a few browns mixed in. I did loose a hog of a rainbow after a long battle, oh well...
Heres Tank and the top of the rift. When its "my turn", my ashes go here...  ;D

These things in the fast water on fly gear are the ultimate for me! Jump and peel drag at an amazing pace!

Should have taken more picts but its hard in waist deep water...

Found a few walleyes also...  :whistling:

Heres a short video. Not easy to hold a rod and camera while netting a fish...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rxe_Ug484

Oh, and minnow boy - On your buggers that are spinning, try adding a few wraps of lead on the shank near  the rear, it should stabalize em.  ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1462 on: Jun 06, 2011, 08:05 PM »
very   nice  dark  cloud
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1463 on: Jun 07, 2011, 01:42 AM »
You two are the definition of fishermen. What a great thing to share that time.

Thanks for the post...and the advice.
RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1464 on: Jun 07, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Good job Dark Cloud!!--KP 8)

wiredstone

« Reply #1465 on: Jun 08, 2011, 04:01 PM »
 :thumbup_smilie:Sweet . Taking the day off tommorow. Thinking of Resica falls, but the big D sounds good too. Roscoe might be fun too. ::)
wooo fish on. Never mind

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1466 on: Jun 09, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Got out early today an d hit the stream. It was WARM. Body temp. Nothing was doing. Didn't have time to stay till dusk for signs of a hatch. I'm heading out for some walleye in the morning. Probably have to shoot the bass to keep them off the line :-\

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1467 on: Jun 09, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Very warm today! I don't blame you for not hanging out for the hatch! Good luck with Mr. Wally tomorrow!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1468 on: Jun 09, 2011, 05:47 PM »
A couple more in the freezer and I'll have dinner when I come up to fish ;D

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1469 on: Jun 09, 2011, 05:54 PM »
 ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.