FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560874 times)

joshjj2010

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1740 on: May 10, 2012, 05:19 PM »
i  use  a  pitch  fork  ...they  fight   pretty  hard 
A pitch fork is always the best method. When in doubt us :De a pitch fork. Hahahahahah

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1741 on: May 11, 2012, 03:35 AM »
I'm gettin' all teary eyed. Thanks.

Can't wait to get back up and fish with you and Josh, KP. You guys are a lot of fun.

I've been fighting a bug for the last 24 hours or so. Fever, chills etc. I went to bed at 5pm yesterday and just got up. I had some very weird dreams. One was of fly fishing for drum. Quite vivid too. I may have to drop the boat in Oak Orchard this weekend and see if it was some sort of premonition. Anyway, no work for me today. I ain't fit to drive.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1742 on: May 11, 2012, 06:06 AM »
RG....I'm all ears if you go for drum in the Oak.  I want to try that badly.

KingPerch

« Reply #1743 on: May 11, 2012, 06:38 AM »
I'm gettin' all teary eyed. Thanks.

Can't wait to get back up and fish with you and Josh, KP. You guys are a lot of fun.

I've been fighting a bug for the last 24 hours or so. Fever, chills etc. I went to bed at 5pm yesterday and just got up. I had some very weird dreams. One was of fly fishing for drum. Quite vivid too. I may have to drop the boat in Oak Orchard this weekend and see if it was some sort of premonition. Anyway, no work for me today. I ain't fit to drive.

RG
Hope your feeling better Bob!! I'm sure you can drive the boat though!!! ;) Have fun!

Josh and I are looking forward to fishing with you again!

Titelines!

KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1744 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Funny thing. I started feeling better as soon as I called in to work and told my crew what to do today.  ;D  I think I've taken 2 sick days in 5 years.

I got on the scale this morning,lost 4 lbs over night.

I'll live.
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1745 on: May 11, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Soooooo...how did the boat run??? ;D Glad to hear your feeling better!! ;)

Josh and I are headed to the shores of Oneida tonight to look for Mr. Wally!!! 8) No flyrods tonight though! :-\

LIFE IS GOOD!!--KP 8)

Gremlin

• there's one !!!
« Reply #1746 on: May 11, 2012, 03:49 PM »
 New to fly fishing, I have a 4-5 weight rod. Which line would be easier to cast with, and get more distance. The 4 weight or 5 weight, or does it even matter ??? Thanks :)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1747 on: May 11, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Soooooo...how did the boat run??? ;D Glad to hear your feeling better!! ;)

Josh and I are headed to the shores of Oneida tonight to look for Mr. Wally!!! 8) No flyrods tonight though! :-\

LIFE IS GOOD!!--KP 8)
Nah, I didn't go anywhere other than the grocery store. I feel much better. Tomorrow will be a good day on the stream ;D Go get those eyes bud!

New to fly fishing, I have a 4-5 weight rod. Which line would be easier to cast with, and get more distance. The 4 weight or 5 weight, or does it even matter ??? Thanks :)
It will depend on the rod really. A slow rod will cast a weight forward line better where a fast rod will tend to cast a double taper a bit easier.  I'd suggest a WF5F anyway. A weight forward line will serve you well in any event. Distance is more a function of form and proficient technique than equipment....in my opinion.

RG

Gremlin

• there's one !!!
« Reply #1748 on: May 11, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Thanks i'll give the WF5F a shot.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1749 on: May 12, 2012, 12:37 AM »
One other thing, don't buy an inexpensive line. I use Cortland 444 90% of the time. Great line and a good value.

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1750 on: May 12, 2012, 11:29 AM »
i  agree  with  the  cortland  444  as  a  great  bargin !  it  really  is    as  far  as  i'm  concernd (opinion  and  my personal  casting  ablities  and  traits )  i like  a  rocket  taper  ....distance  isn't  as  important  as  easy  casting  and  i  get  both  a  little  further   and  a  lot  less  effert  .....  i honestly  believe  that  ones  casting  form is  the  chief  factor  in line  choice  other  then weight
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #1751 on: May 12, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Nah, I didn't go anywhere other than the grocery store. I feel much better. Tomorrow will be a good day on the stream ;D Go get those eyes bud!
 It will depend on the rod really. A slow rod will cast a weight forward line better where a fast rod will tend to cast a double taper a bit easier.  I'd suggest a WF5F anyway. A weight forward line will serve you well in any event. Distance is more a function of form and proficient technique than equipment....in my opinion.

RG

Josh whipped the  'Ol Fart.....AGAIN!!! ;D Life is Good!--KP 8)

Gremlin

• there's one !!!
« Reply #1752 on: May 12, 2012, 12:18 PM »
 Thanks for the advice RG, and Trap. Guess the $13 fly line (cortland fairplay floating rocket) i bought a walmart wont help my casting. I'll try the 444. Thanks again. :)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1753 on: May 12, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Check out a bunch of youtube videos on casting techniques. It will help a lot. Avoid the "hero cast" ( trying to get that extra 10') it will only frustrate you. Most of all avoid "Grippus Maximus". Keep a nice light grip on that handle.

Last thing....breaking your wrist will destroy your casting loops.

Have fun, start small, catch some fish.

RG

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1754 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Like the guys said, the cheap line is fine... technique trumps everything...

RG,  I dont mind some wrist movement, I see way too many folks useing tons of arm and shoulder. Saw a dude last week frothing the water. He had to have been sore after 10 minutes.  8) He was turning his hips, full rotation on shoulders, arm all the way back and forward... Tank and I were 150 yards away and could hear the line frothing the water on the back and forward cast...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.