FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561449 times)

BAZOOKAJOE

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1875 on: Apr 12, 2013, 03:56 PM »
i  took  the  fly rod  out   last  night to the  exact  spot where i  first fly fished  ohhhhh lets say  close  to 50 years ago  (HT  and  KP  shut  up !) i fished  for  the  same  fish too  small white perch and  bluegills .....started  out  with  a  simular  fly ,a  small  panfish  popper ....  and  yup  the  smacked  it  till  the rain forced me  to call it a  night  .....  isn't it funny how a  old  flyrod   can be a  time  machine ???? i looked  over at  the shore  where  we use  to  park  and swear i seen  a  old friend  standing  next  to a  beat  up plymouth wagon .....  fishing  wasn't  that good  with a  cold  front  coming  in ....  but  memorys  can warm the  soul   ;D

life  is  good  boys

You weren't lining them...were ya?   :o

Good story, felt like I was there with you!!   8)

choo choo

« Reply #1876 on: Apr 12, 2013, 07:48 PM »
i  took  the  fly rod  out   last  night to the  exact  spot where i  first fly fished  ohhhhh lets say  close  to 50 years ago  (HT  and  KP  shut  up !) i fished  for  the  same  fish too  small white perch and  bluegills .....started  out  with  a  simular  fly ,a  small  panfish  popper ....  and  yup  the  smacked  it  till  the rain forced me  to call it a  night  .....  isn't it funny how a  old  flyrod   can be a  time  machine ???? i looked  over at  the shore  where  we use  to  park  and swear i seen  a  old friend  standing  next  to a  beat  up plymouth wagon .....  fishing  wasn't  that good  with a  cold  front  coming  in ....  but  memorys  can warm the  soul   ;D

life  is  good  boys
Man trapper...you are right on.."isn't it funny how an old fly rod can be a time machine". ..."memories can warm the soul" .I'm new to this thread, but had to reply. One of the few good things about being an old fart is all the  fishing experiences that we have tucked safely away in the back of our minds....burned and stored forever into are memory banks. I pull out my first brand new  "bamboo" rod that I bought when I was in high school once in awhile....it was 1969 when i bought it, and I paid $180.00 bucks for it. A ton of money back then .Orvis Madison 7 1/2 ft. 5 wt.. I never told my parents how much i paid, my dad and mom never knew how to fish back then, they would not have understood.But that rod  and me became such good buddies..I fished with it all through the catskills and the Ausable  up north.When I take that rod out... it sends me back to the  late 60's and 70's...every week end on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc or Delaware and  sometimes Ausable.... with Mac , Tommy ,Bill , Greg, Joey , and Mr. Wanko..waiting for a hatch, dry flies only,no split shot nymph fishing with it, sleeping streamside , not many Posted signs back then,.. wake up , coffee, bacon and scrambled eggs on the coleman stove,stop at the Darbees and Dettes and Betters... tie up some flies for the afternoon ... wait for the swallows to start working ....fish the hatch and spinnerfall til after dark.... Late "dinner" of Dinty Moore beef stew ... a campfire...a few beers and smokes and stories of fish landed and lost..nod out, wake up in the morning and do it all over again. Man I loved those days...and that fly rod..and the memories...that do warm my soul trapper !!
I'm fishing my way through life .

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1877 on: Apr 12, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Man trapper...you are right on.."isn't it funny how an old fly rod can be a time machine". ..."memories can warm the soul" .I'm new to this thread, but had to reply. One of the few good things about being an old fart is all the  fishing experiences that we have tucked safely away in the back of our minds....burned and stored forever into are memory banks. I pull out my first brand new  "bamboo" rod that I bought when I was in high school once in awhile....it was 1969 when i bought it, and I paid $180.00 bucks for it. A ton of money back then .Orvis Madison 7 1/2 ft. 5 wt.. I never told my parents how much i paid, my dad and mom never knew how to fish back then, they would not have understood.But that rod  and me became such good buddies..I fished with it all through the catskills and the Ausable  up north.When I take that rod out... it sends me back to the  late 60's and 70's...every week end on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc or Delaware and  sometimes Ausable.... with Mac , Tommy ,Bill , Greg, Joey , and Mr. Wanko..waiting for a hatch, dry flies only,no split shot nymph fishing with it, sleeping streamside , not many Posted signs back then,.. wake up , coffee, bacon and scrambled eggs on the coleman stove,stop at the Darbees and Dettes and Betters... tie up some flies for the afternoon ... wait for the swallows to start working ....fish the hatch and spinnerfall til after dark.... Late "dinner" of Dinty Moore beef stew ... a campfire...a few beers and smokes and stories of fish landed and lost..nod out, wake up in the morning and do it all over again. Man I loved those days...and that fly rod..and the memories...that do warm my soul trapper !!

Awesome post Buddy!
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1878 on: Apr 12, 2013, 08:23 PM »
choo choo  ...  in the  60's was a  store  called  the  easy  bargin center in fulton  when i was  really little  i  actually  was lifted  up  by a  man and my  pic  taken ...now i know  thatt man was  robert kennedy  ...anyways  i  got my  first  flyrod  there  a  cheap  bamboo  and  reel with  a  level line ....  a  card  of  fly  rod  poppers  filled  the  ticket  ...then pop  drove  me  to  northbay in fulton where  i  hooked  everything but a  fish for the  first hour ...as  it started getting  dark  the  "silver  bass"  as  we  called  them  then  started  hitting  those  poppers  .....  and  thats  where  i  started  fly  fishing  ......  my  pop  was  far  from rich  but  he  could always  afford  to  spend  time  with his  kids  ,and  fishing was always  fun ....  glass bottles  of  grape  soda  ....  chocolate  bars  where  the snacks  .....  life  was  good 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #1879 on: Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 PM »
choo choo  ...  in the  60's was a  store  called  the  easy  bargin center in fulton  when i was  really little  i  actually  was lifted  up  by a  man and my  pic  taken ...now i know  thatt man was  robert kennedy  ...anyways  i  got my  first  flyrod  there  a  cheap  bamboo  and  reel with  a  level line ....  a  card  of  fly  rod  poppers  filled  the  ticket  ...then pop  drove  me  to  northbay in fulton where  i  hooked  everything but a  fish for the  first hour ...as  it started getting  dark  the  "silver  bass"  as  we  called  them  then  started  hitting  those  poppers  .....  and  thats  where  i  started  fly  fishing  ......  my  pop  was  far  from rich  but  he  could always  afford  to  spend  time  with his  kids  ,and  fishing was always  fun ....  glass bottles  of  grape  soda  ....  chocolate  bars  where  the snacks  .....  life  was  good  
Great story trapper...those memories you will never forget . Special times for sure. Man, stuff like that we remember from 40, 50 or more years ago...but we can't remember what we had for lunch today, or dinner yesterday !! LOL! You are lucky to have a dad who taught you how to fish. A special bond. My dad did not know how to fish, but he would always drive me to where i wanted to fish then pick me up towrds evening. Mom would pack me a lunch and I was good for the day. I had six brothers and sisters , so dad was always running around. None of my six brothers or sisters fished, so I was the black sheep. After  years of dropping me off and picking me up, dad asked me to teach him how to fish...so I was lucky in another way...I got to teach my dad how to fish !   in  8th grade, a classmate of mines dad who was a fly fisherman, invited me to go with them to fish the Beaverkill, where I had never been before. Mr Wanko taught me and his son how to fly cast up there. When we got home I told my dad i needed to buy a fly rod ...which i did...a fiberglass fenwick and ocean city reel....A week or two later, with Mr. Wanko coaching me, I caught my first trout on a fly, Light Cahill, Willowemoc creek, just upstream from the covered bridge. A fly fisherman was born...1967...and I remember that fish like it was yesterday!!

choo choo

« Reply #1880 on: Apr 12, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Awesome post Buddy!
Thanks Jay...glad you liked it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1881 on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:13 AM »
Well, If we're gonna wax nostalgic.....
In about 1968 I spotted an 8' Fenwick Fenglass 5 wt at a local bait store that caught my eye like a slinky blonde. Can't remember what I paid, not that it matters. I purchased a Pfleuger Medalist, a hunk of Cortland line and  a handful of flies and off I went. I knew nothing about trout (still don't) so I headed for my favorite bass crick.

There were no coaches. Dad wasn't a fisherman, neither were my brothers and most of my 18 year old friends were either tough guy Italian kids in iridescent blue suits or raggedy-assed hippies who would rather have hugged a fish than eat it. A loner is what I was. So, I fished alone.

At the time my mode of transport was a 1962 Rambler American which I had purchased for $75 from my earnings as a slave for a local Big Boy restaurant. She wasn't pretty, but she rolled.....and roll we did. My fly case was one of those roll up, sheepskin lined things. Leader was the smallest diameter mono I had at the time. Forceps were a pair of pliers. Fishing vest was my shirt pocket and my wading boots were my oldest sneakers.

I taught myself to fly fish much as I've taught myself to build rods and tie flies. I realize now that my successes and failures weren't important. It was the journey. The days on the stream from sun up to sun down. The solitude of moving waters. The flies which remain stuck in the trees and the fish that were caught and released or consumed.

Even today, some 40 odd years later, when I step into that water and start stripping out line, I feel the exact same anticipation, peace and pure joy of moving water. Pity the person who never knows that feeling.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wiredstone

« Reply #1882 on: Apr 13, 2013, 03:26 AM »
Great stories. Keep them coming , I am going fishing  ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1883 on: Apr 13, 2013, 05:22 AM »
I'll post more later... I got a baby free pass and a date with a fly rod and some minnows.  ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #1884 on: Apr 13, 2013, 05:55 AM »
RG  good  too see  ya  on here!  .....  i love  the  trips  down memory  road!  i love  sharing them  and  reliving  them  .....there the  trophys  of  life ,it's good we all have them ;D

choo choo

« Reply #1885 on: Apr 13, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Well, If we're gonna wax nostalgic.....
In about 1968 I spotted an 8' Fenwick Fenglass 5 wt at a local bait store that caught my eye like a slinky blonde. Can't remember what I paid, not that it matters. I purchased a Pfleuger Medalist, a hunk of Cortland line and  a handful of flies and off I went. I knew nothing about trout (still don't) so I headed for my favorite bass crick.

There were no coaches. Dad wasn't a fisherman, neither were my brothers and most of my 18 year old friends were either tough guy Italian kids in iridescent blue suits or raggedy-assed hippies who would rather have hugged a fish than eat it. A loner is what I was. So, I fished alone.

At the time my mode of transport was a 1962 Rambler American which I had purchased for $75 from my earnings as a slave for a local Big Boy restaurant. She wasn't pretty, but she rolled.....and roll we did. My fly case was one of those roll up, sheepskin lined things. Leader was the smallest diameter mono I had at the time. Forceps were a pair of pliers. Fishing vest was my shirt pocket and my wading boots were my oldest sneakers.

I taught myself to fly fish much as I've taught myself to build rods and tie flies. I realize now that my successes and failures weren't important. It was the journey. The days on the stream from sun up to sun down. The solitude of moving waters. The flies which remain stuck in the trees and the fish that were caught and released or consumed.

Even today, some 40 odd years later, when I step into that water and start stripping out line, I feel the exact same anticipation, peace and pure joy of moving water. Pity the person who never knows that feeling.

RG
Great story RG...You are so right when you say "the successes and failures weren't important."it was the journey"  Man what a great journey it has been. The fish we caught were not as important as the experiences we had on the river or pond we were on. The feel and joy we had just wading around and casting to different targets....didn't matter it it was a trout, bass , bluegill, or a perch or chub. The line loading the rod on the pick up and backcast...the false casts swishing back and forth....the timing of the final cast as we re -load the rod and the whisper soft landing of our fly line and leader ,with tiny ripples,..then the touchdown of our fly or popper....then the anticipation and hope of a take...or a look and a rejection. Man that never gets old.Fishing with our own hand tied flies and our own handwrapped rods makes it that much sweeter. We all started fishing in differnt places for different fish, but we are all connected by the enjoyment we get by casting a line to a fish, and spending time in the outdoors,and all the memories we have from hanging around in very "fishy" places. Hopefully we all can add many more memories and have many, many more days chasing those  water loving, finned, scaled creatures .... that keep us sane ,stable and HAPPY !!

chrony59

« Reply #1886 on: Apr 13, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Great stories guys ................... mine is very similar . I pity the poor guys that don't understand how I could want to chase those stupid fish with fake flies !! It's one of the keys that have kept me married 25+ years to a sweetheart of a woman and raised two great boys !

KingPerch

« Reply #1887 on: Apr 13, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Great stories my friends!! There will be a day where I'll have to dig into my memory archives and retrieve a little something for you guys to enjoy. I'm certain Jay has a boatload of them to share, as, I enjoy reading and seeing some of his posted pics of His father and himself. Great stuff Jay! Josh, my son, as most of you know as KP Jr. has quite the resume' of fishing outtings that, I believe he will be able to pass on when I leave this world. Great times, Great fishing, Great memories...what more could a person ask for?!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

« Reply #1888 on: Apr 13, 2013, 05:17 PM »
larry  ....you  got a  great  young  man  there   ;D.................hope  yer feeling better  too

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1889 on: Apr 13, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I'll post my history with the love of the flyrod when I get a half hour...
Tank and I got out for a few hours this am. Picked up a dozen brookies...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.