FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560937 times)

shark

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1905 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:46 PM »
RG,  Thats part of the fun owning a boat ,  I have rebiult many boats over the years and picked up another project boat that I'm gonna start on shortly, A Sea Nymph .

KingPerch

« Reply #1906 on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Geez Trapper.....wonder what the kid needs now :-\  And...I don't mean Josh ;D

I'm in the throws of refurbishing my good old Johnson 30hp. I have it in pieces in the garage and just painted the first pieces. It all started with a small...barely noticeable lower unit oil leak. I really hate being responsible for putting 90EP into the ecosystem. Sooooooo....I replaced the lower unit seals. I figured as long as I was doing that, I might as well do the water pump, housing and seals.

So, as long as I was already into it....the steering and controls were 30 years old and I might as well replace those too. Soooooooooooo...I figured as long as I had the motor apart anyway, I may as well clean her up and give her a new paint job. OYE!

It'll be done by May 15 no matter what. That is if I can contain my overwhelming desire to re-carpet the old boat. Oh heck...I may do it anyway ;D

RG
No...no....no...You 'Ol Farts got it wrong! What I meant was....KP was going to tie up some foam flies!! It's just that My spiders and beetles aren't as nice as the ones you 'Ol Farts tie!! :whistling: ;D

On another note, You sir, impressed the hell out of me with the amount of tinkering You do!! Seriously though, How can a guy take a custom rod blank, turn it into a fly tosser and then, tear a boat motor apart, rebuild it, paint it, and, put it back together all in such a short time?? You, my friend, are HIRED!!! ;D

I'll be anxiously waiting for the pics of the rehab of the 'Ol boat Bob! I'm certain it will turn out just fine!! ;) Going to have to plan a roadtrip, once, You have her back together! ;)--KP 8)  LIFE IS GOOD!!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1907 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:01 PM »
RG   toss  the  carpet  in but as a  old  intaller  i  suggest  you  use  contact  cement and  not  outdoor  carpet  adhesive ......  if  ya need help  i  think i  might remeber  how  to  do it  ;D

now  get  some  time and  let  me  know  when you  plan a  trip  this  way .i'll  have a  hot  gill spot  ready and a  couple  cold  henikens  waiting for  after ..... i  never checked  KP's  id  better  give  him a  pepsi  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1908 on: Apr 17, 2013, 01:29 AM »
I've had the old boat for 33 years now. and it's still very serviceable. I've carpeted and renovated it a few different ways over the years. The outboard is the real project. I had it out on the Bay perch fishing a couple of weeks ago and the steering cable was really stiff. I took it apart and found that the covering was split and the cable was rusted up. Time for some new controls!

It's been on there since 1968 when the boat was built. I guess it don't owe me anything. The motor controls were an old Simplex set I scrounged from a junk yard 20 years ago. They were 20 years old then...they don't owe me anything either. I bought the motor in the 90's for $800 and haven't had to do a thing but change spark plugs every couple of years.

The motor will get;
gear case seals
water pump kit and housing
upper motor mounts
primer assembly
lower motor mount
new steering support tube
New Teleflex steering cable and helm
New Uflex controls and cables
and....maybe an electric starter kit

The boat's gonna get some new carpet and maybe a slight re-arrangement of the battery location and helm location. I have a couple of ideas floating around my brain.

As far as "tinkering " goes, it keeps me from counting my toes Larry ;D.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #1909 on: Apr 17, 2013, 04:14 AM »
RG  well i'm glad  your  giving  your old  friend a  little  face  lift !  sounds  like  that  boat  has some storys  to  tell  !!!! :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch

« Reply #1910 on: Apr 17, 2013, 06:52 AM »
RG   toss  the  carpet  in but as a  old  intaller  i  suggest  you  use  contact  cement and  not  outdoor  carpet  adhesive ......  if  ya need help  i  think i  might remeber  how  to  do it  ;D

now  get  some  time and  let  me  know  when you  plan a  trip  this  way .i'll  have a  hot  gill spot  ready and a  couple  cold  henikens  waiting for  after ..... i  never checked  KP's  id  better  give  him a  pepsi  ;D
You two 'ol farts are funny! ;D

Bob, You mentioned, that your motor is  90 hp, and, your thinking of adding electric start kit....hmmmm, are you pull starting that motor now? or just upgrading the electric start system that is on it? If your pull starting that size motor, Your in ALOT better shape than you have us believing you are!!!! :flex: :flex: :rotflol:

YEP, 10 toes!! ;D

Life is good!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1911 on: Apr 17, 2013, 06:56 AM »

RG , You ever considered a Rino Liner type bottom instead of Carpet ? Or take you're epoxy paint and sprinkle sand on it as it dries for traction ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1912 on: Apr 17, 2013, 05:00 PM »
It's a 30hp Larry. I'm pretty fit, but no way I'm cranking up a 90 by hand :rotflol:

Thanks for the tip DD but the sub floor is made of 5/8 PT plank. It was plywood once....about 30 years ago ;D I removed the rotting plywood and rebuilt the keel and chines and then planed down some 5/4 x 6 pt for floor planks. It airs out the bilge and has lasted very well. That's why I opted for the carpet treatment.

Besides, the carpet is way more comfortable for a boat nap.

I'll have to take some time for pics as I play with this project.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #1913 on: Apr 18, 2013, 06:02 AM »
hurry  up  rg! another weekn  and  gills will move  in shallow and  we need  to be  chucking  foam and hooks at them  !!!!  i  got  to admitt  i am using the  jon boat  more  this  year  then  a  kayak  .... getting  lazy i  think

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1914 on: Apr 18, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I'm getting there Trap. I've got some stuff on order yet. New primer assembly, control cables. motor mounts. By Monday I'll have the motor cleaned and painted.

A couple of weeks and I'll be down to carpet and trim.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1915 on: Apr 19, 2013, 04:40 AM »
i  got that  new  jon boat  and  i'm loving it  ....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1916 on: Apr 20, 2013, 07:28 PM »
OYE! This is getting expensive.
3 motor mounts                                        $ 90
Steering cable and helm                              135
Control box                                                125
Control cables                                              67
Water pump kit                                            40
Gear case seal kit                                         40
Decal set                                                      65
Primer pump assembly                                  74
Gear case stud                                               8
Paint and degreasers                                     30

outboard parts are a lucrative  business.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1917 on: Apr 20, 2013, 09:36 PM »
RG ...... yer having a  ball  restoring the  old  girl  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1918 on: Apr 21, 2013, 04:28 AM »
That I am Trap! That I am ;D

RG

fenwick2010

« Reply #1919 on: Apr 21, 2013, 09:21 AM »
well guys its been a while seince ive posted on here....  Its good to be back ! Im mostly up on the salmon river or oswego for the steelhead during the winter and fall ,  also im an ice fishing fanatic . I've become  bored with float fishing beads and  marabous jigs so I went out and bought a 8 weight  temple fork 9 ft fly rod .I'm exited to move into t fly fishing . I have experence casting,  when i was a kid we had an old  pfluger  auto fly reel on a ten ft. flyrod that i played with here and there. I just have to practice roll casting and other casting tech. I can pick up any fishing rod and with a week of practice I will be able to get out on the river fishing so thats not the issue , It's  the whole fly line  thing that confuses me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.