FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560882 times)

fenwick2010

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1920 on: Apr 21, 2013, 09:28 AM »
I mostly want to fish streamers swinging   into the seams near shore . I dont cast more than 25 feet ever. Im usualy fishing from 2ft of water to 5 ft  ... And i will fish stoneflies and other nymphs and 3egg patterns . But most of my steelhead success is fishing beads and floating jigs  so Im going to stay with what works. Drifting streamers and fishing egg patterns.  Im thinking im going to only need weight forward floating flyline and just add weight to the fly if im fishing deeper than a ft and meand line to get the fly down.  am I going in the right direction ? I want to keep it simple for the first year ... My reel is a sage 7 / 8 weight large arbor.  200 yards of 20 lb backing. I'm just looking for some tips and help with what  fly line im going to do best with  with what  kind of fishing I've described. Any information will help me out , thanks . And Kowboy, i cant wait to get back out on the river with you again ... Id like to see how much youve learned in the past 2 years. I remember when you first started  and we met up  a couple of times and had a good time .

KingPerch

« Reply #1921 on: Apr 21, 2013, 11:20 AM »
OYE! This is getting expensive.
3 motor mounts                                        $ 90
Steering cable and helm                              135
Control box                                                125
Control cables                                              67
Water pump kit                                            40
Gear case seal kit                                         40
Decal set                                                      65
Primer pump assembly                                  74
Gear case stud                                               8
Paint and degreasers                                     30

outboard parts are a lucrative  business.

RG

Just keep past and future fishing trips in the back of your mind while fixin' up the 'Ol Girl....makes you forget about the prices of boat parts !!! ;)

Have fun my friend!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1922 on: Apr 21, 2013, 11:55 AM »

KP , No it does not  :P Break Out Another Thousand RG  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1923 on: Apr 21, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Fenwick, What's the action on that 8wt? If it's fast you may like a double taper better.

My 9ft - 5wt Axiom likes a DT  much better than a weight forward.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

choo choo

« Reply #1924 on: Apr 26, 2013, 07:15 AM »
well guys its been a while seince ive posted on here....  Its good to be back ! Im mostly up on the salmon river or oswego for the steelhead during the winter and fall ,  also im an ice fishing fanatic . I've become  bored with float fishing beads and  marabous jigs so I went out and bought a 8 weight  temple fork 9 ft fly rod .I'm exited to move into t fly fishing . I have experence casting,  when i was a kid we had an old  pfluger  auto fly reel on a ten ft. flyrod that i played with here and there. I just have to practice roll casting and other casting tech. I can pick up any fishing rod and with a week of practice I will be able to get out on the river fishing so thats not the issue , It's  the whole fly line  thing that confuses me.
Good luck with your new set up fenwick. I am just the opposite of you...less with the fly rod  for steelhead after many years, and am intrigued  and fishing  mostly with center pin  float fishing now. If you are going to be just using weighted flies, the double taper line is fine, if ,like rg said ,your rod action is soft enough to load it up on short casts with not much fly line out.If it is a little stiff action tip rod, you might want to use the weight forward line for short casts especially, to better load the rod....roll casts too.The double taper has a couple of advantages if your rod throws it well...you can turn it around,and have a "brand new" line when it gets dinged up after a couple years of steelie rock/wood line rubbing. If you do any heavy water bottom bouncing and have to add a lot of weight to get down,or indicator and weight drifting , some rods are then overloaded and "wash" out on a long cast with a weight forward with the added weight of shot and floats etc....where as the double taper ,with less weight up front, can handle the extra shot and floats without over loading. Another idea is to get extra spool for your reel, and get both lines so you can handle all river situations and conditions with your rod!...good luck.
I'm fishing my way through life .

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1925 on: Apr 26, 2013, 12:57 PM »
i'm  addicted   to  the   fly  rod   ...  i  use  a  short  line  nymph tec  and   find  it   works   great   when  steel  are  in  warmer   water   early  fall    also   just   drifting  nymphs  and  egg  patterens  ,  streamers   for  agrressive  fall  back  spring  fish  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fenwick2010

« Reply #1926 on: Apr 28, 2013, 08:10 AM »
its a med / fast action wich im okay with seince its a pack 4 piece but i would have wanted a slower action a bit more in a ten ft . I should have looked around more but if it works for steelhead i will enjoy the rod

one last cast

« Reply #1927 on: Apr 28, 2013, 08:28 AM »
I'm semi old, and use my fly rods 90% of the time so I guess I'm in the thread! ;D
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1928 on: Apr 28, 2013, 11:56 AM »
"Old" is relative  ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1929 on: Apr 28, 2013, 01:12 PM »
wife - "lets put the kids in those little belly harness carry thingys and go for a walk out back"
me - "sure, I'll grab them downstairs when i grab a fishing rod"

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

one last cast

« Reply #1930 on: Apr 28, 2013, 04:47 PM »
"Old" is relative  ;D

RG
I'm just busting chops RG, btw how are my leaders coming ??? ??? ??? ???
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

one last cast

« Reply #1931 on: Apr 28, 2013, 04:50 PM »
wife - "lets put the kids in those little belly harness carry thingys and go for a walk out back"
me - "sure, I'll grab them downstairs when i grab a fishing rod"

congrats on getting them out there early  ;D it's the little things in life that are cherished the most.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1932 on: Apr 29, 2013, 05:13 AM »
spring  gills  and  flyrods  ....what a  great time  for  old  faets  to  be  passing  a  little  tradition  of flyfishing  on down ;D ......take a  kid  fishing  .....or a  really old  fart  .....bluegills are  cheap but  smiles are  priceless ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #1933 on: May 09, 2013, 05:58 AM »
After trapper brought up about how an old fly rod can stir up memories of past friends and long ago fishing trips a few weeks back,I've been thinking about pulling out my old bamboo again. I hadn't had it out in a couple of years now,so it was time on it's 43 rd birthday. I can't believe that many seasons have gone by since  I bought that rod back in high school...man time really does fly by.It was one of what Orvis called their "impregnated" bamboo blanks...and it still looks as good as it did back then. And the feel is still awesome,....after several fiberglass fly rods, and 8 generations of graphite,... it feels just so smooth and sweet . Between the feel of the rod , and all the memories it brings back to me, i am going to fish it a lot more now. Here are a couple of fish from last week.

a couple on the graphite

I'm fishing my way through life .

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1934 on: May 09, 2013, 07:03 AM »

Great story Steve !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.