FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561151 times)

black55

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1935 on: May 09, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Nothing can replace the feel of a well built bamboo rod in one's hands. I'm soon to be 58 going on 70. I would love to be a member of the old fart's club. Trapper did you ever get your package?
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1936 on: May 09, 2013, 04:39 PM »
"Old" is relative ;D

Welcome aboard.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1937 on: May 09, 2013, 05:01 PM »
I have an old bamboo rod hanging on my office wall, right next to an old metal flyrod, that is a 4 piece rod that will retract into itself. RG may remember those. I would love to get the bamboo rod restored, but, reluctant to have it done. They came from an "Old" fart about 20 years ago, once He learned I had the flyfishing bug. I'm certain that bamboo rod landed quite a few fish in it's day. I used to love to hear the stories. Fred, is long gone now, and, I hold that piece of his history with pride. RIP 'Ol boy!!

Nice old bamboo rod Choo choo!!

Welcome aboard Black55...I'm the Jr. Old Fart here!! ;D

Bob, time to start planning a get together my friend!! ;)

Life Is Good!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1938 on: May 09, 2013, 07:02 PM »
I have a couple of "Boo's"n my collection. One was given to me recently by a breakfast buddy. It was his grand dad's. A 9'6" 10 wt rod he used for salmon. It's a special gift from a friend who's approaching his end. I probably won't fish it, but It will remind me of him.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

choo choo

« Reply #1939 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Thanks DD and KP...Rg And KP that is 2 more old fly rods that will bring back memories of a couple good old fishermen everytime you look at the rods.There is something about the old fly rods that take us back...or remind us of old fishing friends and places.My old bamboo and  my first fly rod, a fenwick fiberglass,  will do that for me forever ,I guess. I remember that I just had to buy a bamboo rod way back when. My fly fishing teacher, Mr. Wanko, and all his buddies  fished bamboo. And many of the older fishermen we would chat with,and fish with in the catskills ,fished bamboo too. Mr Wanko would let me cast his old bamboo orvis from time to time...and the feel was really special....I saved my money and got one.Pretty neat that it still fishes great  and feels so silky smooth...after all these years. I think of Mr. "Wank" all the time when I'm fishin'... especially when I have that old cane rod in my hands...I can still here him saying "Reebo"..."you got to sneak in a little closer" and "don't cast to far upstream and don't cast to close to the fish"...and "Reebo"...."NO DRAG ON THE FLY"!!Man I miss you Mr. Wanko...and thanks for teaching me...and thanks Trapper for having this thread.
I'm fishing my way through life .

oatkasut

« Reply #1940 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06 PM »
speaking of bamboo rods, is there any truth that bamboo rods may get brittle with age? If so, can a rod be resurrected?I'm hesitant  to use a rod my Dad made in the 50's.

black55

« Reply #1941 on: May 09, 2013, 11:14 PM »
My dad  pass down my grandfathers bamboo rod to me if i remenber right he said that it was ordered from sears in the late 30's it is a 2 piece rod but i am not sure of the wt . All the printing is gone, i'm lucky to have it as my dad was not a fisherman.

choo choo

« Reply #1942 on: May 10, 2013, 07:12 AM »
speaking of bamboo rods, is there any truth that bamboo rods may get brittle with age? If so, can a rod be resurrected?I'm hesitant  to use a rod my Dad made in the 50's.
they can get brittle and break down after years and years depending on how and where they wer stored. I never did much to my bamboo rods,just a little vaseline on the ferrules,and never put them away into the rod tubes until the were completely dry. I read somewhere  that a little furniture polish helps them age well too..and have used it on the rods too. THere are still plenty of places ,i'm pretty sure, that can restore old bamboo rods. I would not try and use your dads old rod until it was looked at first by a bamboo expert. Good luck...and at least you can enjoy looking at it and holding it...and think of your Dad..awesome treasure to have .
I'm fishing my way through life .

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1943 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08 PM »
I've restored a few boos over the years.

My last was a South Bend 59.

Before;

After;

I've yet to complete the second tip section, but the rod fishes like a dream.

If you check the ferrules very closely and find no loose parts, and there are no separations or splits to be seen, put a line on it and try it in the back yard. Otherwise, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

Of course, you might have to show me a couple of those Oatka trout....but it seems a fair trade ;D

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1944 on: May 10, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Very nice Bob!! I don't recall seeing the finished product on the 'Ol Boo rod!! Great job bud! ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1945 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52 PM »
That IS very nice work! Good job!!!
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

black55

« Reply #1946 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23 PM »
That IS very nice work! Good job!!!
X2 i seem to recall that bamboo rods set (Just a slight curve) after a few yrs i can see it in mine.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1947 on: May 11, 2013, 03:59 AM »
Thanks,
KP, I'll let you have it for the day when I come up. The first three bamboo rods I restored were destroyed in a basement flood along with all of my fly tying stuff at the time. I lost interest for many years after that, I think I was grieving.

Then this Old Fart With A Flyrod called Trapper or something, managed to rekindle the flame. All I can say is Thanks!

Oh...and YOU COST ME A LOT OF MONEY Ya old buzzard! ;D

RG

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1948 on: May 11, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I know I posted this back 3 years ago when I built it, but I'll re-post for grins and the newbs...

So I got it in my head that I wanted a bamboo flyrod. Didnt mind re-finishing an old one but I didnt want junk, wanted to fish with it, and didnt want a small mortgage... ;D
After almost a year of looking at blanks and old rods I bought a really cheap blank off evil-bay... Mistake! It wasnt fit for stakin tomatos.
Eventually found a rod builder out on the west coast that was relativly quick and not outragious... I researched the heck out of actions and had him make a Payne 102 clone. The blank came and it was perfect...

Multiple coats of spar and sanding. Pict of drying on my custom drying rack...

Went with a cigar style grip which was common on Paynes. Back then they also used 1/4 inch cork rings instead of the now common 1/2s. Also the glues used were not very clear so you could typically see the "glue lines", I added ground up dark cork for to my glue to get the effect

Added a replica/clone of a reel seat used on Paynes and nailed the look on the handle...

Here is where I strayed from the Payne look. In my research I discovered that silk thread left untreated would go "clear"... I had to try it, and it worked like a charm. Here is a guide half done...

Really happy with how it came out! Spent way more than planned(kinda like RGs motor)
She cast nice once I got the right line on it, definatly different to cast...
First brown on her(local)

First rainbow, Choo-choos region, lower east branch delly
I started with a Bronson Royalist from the 60's on it. And ened up finding a nearly mint US made Pflueger from the early 70s for it...

If I get time I'll dig up our old fiberglass rods. I have a pile of Shakespear "Wonder Rods" that were my grandfathers, dads, and uncles...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1949 on: May 11, 2013, 09:14 AM »

Beautiful work as always DC  :bowdown: :bowdown:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.