FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560568 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1980 on: May 19, 2013, 03:56 AM »
Furled leader...Google it.

Anyway, here's a couple of mine.

A "level" leader comprised of a piece of 4lb is OK in a lot of situations. A tapered leader will help you present a fly better without slapping the line down on the water as a level leader tends to do. Tapered leaders are just that. Tapered from the heavier butt section to the tip. There's thousands of ways to achieve this taper. One piece tapered mono leaders come in more sizes and weights than any sane fly fisher can handle. One can also tie successively smaller diameter tippet materials together to form a taper. There are books and books of hand tied leader formulas.

Mono leaders work very well, but as you tie on fly after fly, you continually shorten the leader and need to tie on a tippet of appropriate weight and stiffness for the fly you're using. A big ole' pike fly wants a shorter, stiffer leader to turn it over. A #20 dry wants a long, light tippet to gently waft it to the surface imitating a falling gnat.

Having the butt section (the part that attaches to the fly line) come close to the same stiffness as the tip of the fly line helps create a loop without a kinked spot where leader meets line. This rolls the fly line/leader/fly in a well formed loop and lays it down on the water gently. It also help you cast more consistently by forming a better loop in the air. It eliminates the "Tourist Tangles" we all experience from time to time. Personally, I need all the help I can get :-\

So, "What's a Furled Leader?" It's a butt section made from either thread or mono. It's furled much the same way manilla rope is made....with a hitch. 2 lengths of thread are laid out on a jig so that when they are twisted together they taper from end to end. The tip may be comprised of only 6 strands, the mid section 12 and the butt may have 22 strands. The sections are interwoven and the leader is knotless. A tiny ring or loop can be used to attach a short piece of tippet material to the leader. The leader is usually attached to the fly line with a loop to loop connection.

What are the advantages?
They last for years. The one I had on yesterday is 3 seasons old and shows no signs of wear at all.
They can be made to fit any fly line weight.
They roll a fly over with ease.
They last for years (wait....I already said that)
You need only tie on a short piece of tippet to adjust to different fly weights
The float very well, with a coat of payette paste
They sink very well without floatant (mono furled sink like a rock for nymphing)
Mono leaders will handle the biggest flies with ease and act as a shock absorber under heavy pressure.
And......They last for years!

I'm gonna get my jig out and make up a few. I have an idea for a camouflage tip furled leader with a high vis butt section.  I'll do a thread (pun intended)

"A mind is a terrible thing!"

RG

P.S.
No, I don't sell them.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #1981 on: May 19, 2013, 08:20 AM »
RG thanks , thank you for your knowledge and your pantance with my rookie ? with all the time you spend answering my ? i feel like we have become friends or at least you are becoming a memtor to me, hope that doesn't bother you ! Here i can buy tappered leaders which will work fine . I am going to be tarrgeting smallies so i think tappered ones will do fine. I don't have a pc so my crappy  3 G phone is my only link to you guys. I don't think i can even get google lol . So peace an luck in all your endavers .
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

black55

« Reply #1982 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31 AM »
And that go's to the rest of you guys that have helped me to !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1983 on: May 19, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Happy to help. That's what "Old Farts" are supposed to do.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

choo choo

« Reply #1984 on: May 19, 2013, 04:00 PM »
They had several complete shops set up at the museum. The hand builders had adjustable jigs and fixtures to accommodate different tapers. Most of the fine work was done with a sort of cabinet scraper and a fine eye. What impressed me was their ability to sharpen tools to stand up to an abrasive material like bamboo.

If you think about how cabinet makers developed planes for forming moldings by hand, it's easy to understand the hand tools that would have been made to cut bamboo. Those old craftsmen were were as much metal smiths as wood workers. The wrapping contraptions used to wrap the glued blank were pretty amazing too.

RG
Those cane rodbuilders were definately master craftsmen...to think they wer able to do that stuff 100 years ago is amazing. Here are a couple other bamboo rods I have. Abercrombie and Fitch"  "Yellowstone" 10 ft. twin tips  And a real dark "Granger" "Special" 7 1/2 ft. Original tube, and original condition. Not nearly as old as the A&F .I got them both about 35 years ago and the "Yellowstone"was really old back then. I had it re-finished by a neighbor , and good fishing friend of mine, the late Bob Selser of "Selser Rod Co." in about 1980.He checked back then and I remember him saying it was made for A&F by a master rod builder pre 1930 or 20..might have been Payne.? I will have to check that out someday.Original wooden , notched out rod tube and sack.[/URL

Granger "Special"
[URL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/choo-choo-steve/media/20130514_110854.jpg.html]
I'm fishing my way through life .

KingPerch

« Reply #1985 on: May 19, 2013, 07:27 PM »
O ya thanks KP for the link that did help alot. As a new member of the old farts club i have ? LOL do i get stuck on 68 posts forever? i've  been on that number for atleast 7 posts ! I was just wondering LOL OR is it because i'm am a old fart.    Ok now they have changed to 69 lol
Anytime Bud!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1986 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07 AM »
Each year I run through my fly rod collection. Taking a different rod out each trip. I've had my 2wt, 3wt and one of my 5wts out. I think it's time for the "Boo".

I was out both days over the weekend. My backyard stream is heating up. Saturday was much better with a good mix of bass, rock bass and sunnies all colored up for spawning. And, 1 unidentified, submarine shaped, fly stealing fishapotomus. 3X tippet just wasn't enough to turn him around.

I twisted up my first 72" furled leader yesterday. I'm trying to get some pictures of the operation. I was a little rusty and made one setup mistake, but I managed to salvage the leader.

RG

choo choo

« Reply #1987 on: May 20, 2013, 05:20 AM »
Each year I run through my fly rod collection. Taking a different rod out each trip. I've had my 2wt, 3wt and one of my 5wts out. I think it's time for the "Boo".

I was out both days over the weekend. My backyard stream is heating up. Saturday was much better with a good mix of bass, rock bass and sunnies all colored up for spawning. And, 1 unidentified, submarine shaped, fly stealing fishapotomus. 3X tippet just wasn't enough to turn him around.

I twisted up my first 72" furled leader yesterday. I'm trying to get some pictures of the operation. I was a little rusty and made one setup mistake, but I managed to salvage the leader.

RGNice lookin' leaders RG. I 've never tried one..but I did use a store made braided butt leader quite a few years ago. I don't remember why I stopped using it...but I might have to try one of your style furled leader sometime. Good luck with your "Boo" RG...hope you have lots of takers next time out.

I'm fishing my way through life .

Gremlin

• there's one !!!
« Reply #1988 on: May 20, 2013, 02:58 PM »
 RG, when you say "level" leader do still mean furled leader or just a straight piece of 4 Lb. mono? Thanks

black55

« Reply #1989 on: May 20, 2013, 04:02 PM »
I can't answer for RG but i think he was ,that was what i was using out west 35 yrs ago and i brought the subject up. Just a 4 lb piece of mono. OOPS that is 4 lb test mono.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1990 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Yup... by a "level leader" I meant just a hunk of mono.

RG

black55

« Reply #1991 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Ok another ? do you guy's think a 1/32 oz jlg with a small tail would work like a streamer or nymph ? i will be using  my 5 wt rod with floating line on a stream that is no deeper than 4 or 5 ft at it's deepest. The ? is how long of a leader would  you use ? and  would the jig even work?

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1992 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Ok another ? do you guy's think a 1/32 oz jlg with a small tail would work like a streamer or nymph ? i will be using  my 5 wt rod with floating line on a stream that is no deeper than 4 or 5 ft at it's deepest. The ? is how long of a leader would  you use ? and  would the jig even work?

It will work like a champ! Casting distance may be lessened but not too bad. Any heavier on a 5wt and she wont cast well...
I'd probably be using a 7-9ft leader... You could either fish it "clean" or add a small float/strike indicator2-4 ft above the fly...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1993 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Nice Boo Steve!
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

black55

« Reply #1994 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34 PM »

RG

WOW you said rock bass and  no response from Trap he must be lost or really be in the boonies. LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.