FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 562221 times)

black55

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1995 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35 PM »
OK time for another lesson for me , this time the ? is on the fly line it self . Aren't there different types of floating flylines ,seems like in my youth i used a cortland level line. On my new rod ( which 15 yrs old and still never been used, it's a cabelas setup) i think i put a shooting head line on it (Floating). Is there such a line and did i make a mistake doing that ? for some reason my gut is telling me to change  the line back ! i again need your wisdom and advice !
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1996 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27 AM »
The answer is yes, there is such a line.

That said, if the fly line industry develops one more taper for a fly line, they'll run out of names for it.

Here's my simplistic philosophy; I use Cortland 444 Classic line 90% of the time. They make a quality line at a fair price. On my faster, stiffer rods I use a double taper floating line. On my slower softer rods, I use a weight forward floating line. I switch back and forth depending on conditions. If I'm on a tight stream and will tend to do more roll casting and spot casting, I'll take the DT. If it's windy or I have room oi flail away, I'll take the WF.

Do I have others? Yes! But, those lines are specific use lines for specific rods.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #1997 on: May 22, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Thanks RG it's  the DT line that i have , the streams here in my part of IN are pertty much open i can only think of one small stream that is closed up. So i think  i need to change  my line , maybe just get another reel to go with it , if i can find a reasonablly priced one. Again RG thanks for all that knowledge that you have passed on to me an the other rookies!

oatkasut

« Reply #1998 on: May 22, 2013, 02:40 PM »
A cortland rep came to our TU meeting and gave us a nice lecture on fly lines and the different types, how they were made and their uses. They even made a line for bamboo rods! I tned to stay with the Cortland 444 myself WT  forward for bith my 3 and 5 wt. rods.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1999 on: May 22, 2013, 04:40 PM »
For the most part, reels just hold the line. No need to go nutz with a reel. You can, if you like...I certainly have on more than one occasion, but the line is the more important element.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #2000 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Thanks  all since i am on a very limited income i may have to just go with the line, unless i can find my old automatic reel , it should still work . Lol now just locating it, that should be fun !

black55

« Reply #2001 on: May 22, 2013, 05:48 PM »
My nephew just informed me that his buddies grandfather passed away and they are selling his fishing equip. What i need to know is what to look for in a used fly rod and reel ? i have  no idea what they are but the old gentleman was known to use top of the line equipment !

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2002 on: May 22, 2013, 06:32 PM »
buy all of it ;)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2003 on: May 22, 2013, 06:51 PM »
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

black55

« Reply #2004 on: May 22, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Still need  to know what to look for esp. On the rod , are there weak points , where the rod joins together(Can't remember what it is called) so on ?

KingPerch

« Reply #2005 on: May 22, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Still need  to know what to look for esp. On the rod , are there weak points , where the rod joins together(Can't remember what it is called) so on ?
Again...BUY ALL OF IT!!! ;D Then the fun begins.....!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2006 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35 PM »
sometimes people think they have "good stuff" and it is junk... but unless the prices seem crazy, buy everything!
Without seeing of hearing exactly whats there, its hard to say. Look for obvious signs of abuse and broken,,,
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

black55

« Reply #2007 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00 PM »
I get it and i agree DC  around  here a wonder rod with a auto reel may have been top line stuff LOL

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2008 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38 AM »
i  just  got  back  from my  fishing  trip  and  was  met with a  package!  black 55  paints  the best  jigs  i  have ever seen!  great work  and  thank you  very  very much!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #2009 on: May 23, 2013, 05:45 AM »
i  just  got  back  from my  fishing  trip  and  was  met with a  package!  black 55  paints  the best  jigs  i  have ever seen!  great work  and  thank you  very  very much!
We were wondering if the rockbass were holding you for ransom bud!! ;D Good to see you back!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.