FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561993 times)

black55

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2010 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Wecome back trap, better watch it these old fa-ts are going to make you answer all my rookie ?'s About flyfishing poor old RG's fingers are sore from typing LOL  my go to one is the green and gold , smallies love em ! Glad u liked them.Hmm wonder what some would look like with buck tail or some such thing on them?
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

perch-hound

« Reply #2011 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Let's post a pic of them B55 bomber jigs please.. :-\

black55

« Reply #2012 on: May 23, 2013, 09:54 AM »
I wish i could but my crappy 3 g phone will not let me may be trapper will do it if i ask nicely? LOL Pertty please trap will u take a pic of the jigs.                                    PS I don't sell them

black55

« Reply #2013 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31 AM »
This maybe my last yr for making jigs the painting part is the hard part , between cleaning the raw jigs with a file, and 3 coats of paint my hands are starting to shake pertty bad, then with my back the sitting for hrs  is getting very tough to do.I plan on trying to make as many as possable !! my goal is 2000 . That should last me a very long time and have a few for my friends !!

black55

« Reply #2014 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44 AM »
OK trap spill the beans  how did you do ,what did you catch ? any bragging type fish ,we need details! LOL

black55

« Reply #2015 on: May 23, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Ok here is the scoop the rod is a martin reel company , model 3016E 8 FT line wt 6/7. Reel is pflufger medalist (Made in USA) #1492 ok that is all the info what do you guys think?  i think it is fiberglass and it seems very limber.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2016 on: May 23, 2013, 03:09 PM »
The Martin is an old Fiberglas. Not that it's a bad thing. I love my glass rods. They're soft and very forgiving.

The reel is another classic. I have one in the collection. 3rd from the right, second row up.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #2017 on: May 23, 2013, 03:30 PM »
RG that look like it , the one i have is alot more beat up but it seems to work fine . On the rod one eye is bent but i think it's easyly fixable. Is that reel a tad small for that rod ? (6/7 wt ) i remember you saying the reel is just for line storage.

black55

« Reply #2018 on: May 23, 2013, 04:07 PM »
 What is the deal with the (6/7) dual wt on the rod ? what wt line would you use on it? the martin is or atleast seems to be a much better rod then my old presidential wonderod #FY~A510~7 ft 9 in.                             E~ D~ H  i think the e~d ~h is line size. I think it is a 5 wt but not sure? do you know?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2019 on: May 23, 2013, 05:23 PM »
OYE!

Many older rods are classed as 4/5, 6/7 etc. As for the line types, your reference is to silk line weights.

Here's a conversion chart.
Silk Line Ratings to Modern Fly Line Equivalent

AFTMAFly Line Weight                              3      4      5      6      7       8      9     10        11          12

DoubleTaper Fly Line                                   IGI    HFH    HEH    HDH    HCH    GBG    GAG    GAAG   GAAAG   GAAAAG

WeightForward Fly Line                           IGH    HFG    HEG    HDG    HCG     GBF     GAF     GAAF   GAAAF    GAAAAF

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #2020 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Thanks RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2021 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57 PM »
The chart didn't quite copy correctly, but you get the idea.

RG

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2022 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Martin, made in Mohawk?  I know where that old building is....  Awesome collection RG...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

black55

« Reply #2023 on: May 24, 2013, 08:11 AM »
Now that is cool wonder what yr ? and that ? wasn't  for you RG  LOL. The more i play around  with it the more i like the feel of it. Still not sure what wt or type of line i'm to put on it. Think 7 wt forward wil match up well to it. And it is a sweet collection !

black55

« Reply #2024 on: May 24, 2013, 08:24 AM »
Hey guys if u want to have some fun and have a spare fly rod put a ultralight spinning reel on it go use it, i did it it works great !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.