FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560874 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2115 on: Jun 18, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Very cool Trapper. ....... Fly rod, baitcaster, spinning rig, cane pole, if you're fooling fish, NEVER be ashamed!!! LOL.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

black55

« Reply #2116 on: Jun 18, 2013, 08:32 PM »
DC or some one else , can some one explain the loop to loop connection ? i know that it is a very rookie ? but living in a area that has virtually no fly fishing history in the last 30 yr.Heck in the 3 closest towns to me i couldn't even find a tappered leader ! LOL I've whine enough . Got my cabala's catalog been studying it. That and the link on fly tieing that  RG sent me. 
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

oatkasut

« Reply #2117 on: Jun 18, 2013, 08:48 PM »
go to the web site; animatedknots.com   you will find the perfection fishermans loop and the surgeons loop as examples of loop -to-loop ties. I use them for tying my leader to my fly line.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2118 on: Jun 18, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Some fly lines have a loop built in some guys add them them loop thier leader. You can pick the loops apart...
Heres a video on it...
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AoO_TyroSBO9BYKG8v3bbuqbvZx4?fr=yfp-t-654-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=loop%20to%20loop%20connection%20knot

Im more of nail knot guy but know the loop knot for if I drop/loose my knot tool... Alot easier to tie a loop than to nail knot without a tool...
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Agc2K5vNLajxkADbTk.424SbvZx4?p=nail+knot+tool&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-654
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2119 on: Jun 18, 2013, 09:09 PM »
rg  those  were  both  taken with my  cell phone

black  on  my  fly line  i  use  those  slip on  loops  then  the  shrink  wrap  sorry  forgot  there  names   only  thing  i  do is add a  drop of  super glue  .... on my  leader  i  just  tie a  leader  loop  .......

oh and  i'm not  ashamed   really  i like  the  spinning  rod  too .....  i  enjoy it all 

life  is  good  man   
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

black55

« Reply #2120 on: Jun 19, 2013, 12:45 AM »
Trap i don't see anything to be ashamed of at all heck i use my spinning rod 95% of the time.(Still gathering fly gear and high/Muddy streams) besides i know you have  jigs to try out ,are they catching any fish ?  Wonder how they would work with hair or what ever they put on jigs besides plastic tails ? O well like you say "life  is good "

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2121 on: Jun 19, 2013, 02:02 AM »
I went carpin' for a couple of hours after work yesterday. Trying some Euro style rigs with lead core leader and pop up hair rigs. As usual....I have a bunch of euro style components ordered ::) Baiting and tying needles, coated leader, baits and stuff. I'm going to master some rigs and then adapt them to the fly rod.

I was also thinking that I might adapt my furled leaders to a hair rig.....A mind is a terrible thing!

There's a 10', 10wt bamboo in my collection that I'd like to use. It was gifted to me by a breakfast buddy. His Granddad used it for salmon on the Miramichi River. I'm told he rebuilt the rod shortly before passing. Don't know how he'd feel about me using it for carp, but I'm thinking he'd rather see it fished than in a closet.

I have a perfect reel for it in my collection . A nice old South Bend.

Streams are still way up and muddy so I may as well play with something else. Just one more style of fishing to enjoy, added to my repertoire. Besides, I love catching carp ;D

I may need KP and crew to build me an addition if this addiction continues.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2122 on: Jun 19, 2013, 04:42 AM »
KP  will  be busy  fishing  for  bronze trout  once  schools  out i'm sure!  ....  rg  post  some  links and  pics so  we  can follow  what you  come  up with!  the  river  in pheonix droped  a  foot while i  fished it  yesterday!  so it's  coming  down .... i'll  be  chasing  gills  there  again  ;D......ps  i  seen a  lovely  young  lady  fishing on the  faster side  in a  kayak  ..... please  wear a  life  jacket!!!!!  that river  is still very very  dangerous  right now!

choo choo

« Reply #2123 on: Jun 19, 2013, 04:59 AM »
I went carpin' for a couple of hours after work yesterday. Trying some Euro style rigs with lead core leader and pop up hair rigs. As usual....I have a bunch of euro style components ordered ::) Baiting and tying needles, coated leader, baits and stuff. I'm going to master some rigs and then adapt them to the fly rod.

I was also thinking that I might adapt my furled leaders to a hair rig.....A mind is a terrible thing!

There's a 10', 10wt bamboo in my collection that I'd like to use. It was gifted to me by a breakfast buddy. His Granddad used it for salmon on the Miramichi River. I'm told he rebuilt the rod shortly before passing. Don't know how he'd feel about me using it for carp, but I'm thinking he'd rather see it fished than in a closet.

I have a perfect reel for it in my collection . A nice old South Bend.

Streams are still way up and muddy so I may as well play with something else. Just one more style of fishing to enjoy, added to my repertoire. Besides, I love catching carp ;D

I may need KP and crew to build me an addition if this addiction continues.

RG
Have fun with those carp on the bamboo rod rg. I saw them thrashing around in the shallows coming in to the ramp sunday morning...might have to give them a try sometime.
I'm fishing my way through life .

choo choo

« Reply #2124 on: Jun 19, 2013, 05:15 AM »
DC or some one else , can some one explain the loop to loop connection ? i know that it is a very rookie ? but living in a area that has virtually no fly fishing history in the last 30 yr.Heck in the 3 closest towns to me i couldn't even find a tappered leader ! LOL I've whine enough . Got my cabala's catalog been studying it. That and the link on fly tieing that  RG sent me.  
Black55..The nail knot.. or loops are both good for the butt end of the leader(fly line connection)..I was talking about the tip end of your leader. The fine end of your store bought tapered leaders need to be replaced with new tippet material ,from losing or changing flies etc.. You can make a perfection loop on the end of the cut back leader...then keep adding small 8" to 12" or so of the pre tied looped end tippet sections,that have your fly already tied on at home. Streamside, you only need to loop the tippet loop to the leader loop and your new fly is on with no knots to tie with your shaky hands on the stream.Hope this helps.

choo choo

« Reply #2125 on: Jun 19, 2013, 05:23 AM »
KP  will  be busy  fishing  for  bronze trout  once  schools  out i'm sure!  ....  rg  post  some  links and  pics so  we  can follow  what you  come  up with!  the  river  in pheonix droped  a  foot while i  fished it  yesterday!  so it's  coming  down .... i'll  be  chasing  gills  there  again  ;D......ps  i  seen a  lovely  young  lady  fishing on the  faster side  in a  kayak  ..... please  wear a  life  jacket!!!!!  that river  is still very very  dangerous  right now!
Hey Trap...good luck with the blue gills and sunnies. When you get your freezer filled,isaw a sign in a bait shop where they are buying them larger sunfish for $1.40 each now. Perch are getting $1.25 each. You could have a fish fry with some and a "free" 30 pack with some..and some gas money too!LOL.

black55

« Reply #2126 on: Jun 19, 2013, 05:55 AM »
Choo that sounds like a good system  to me , once you have the loops tied everything else is easy to handle . Now i even understand RG's furled leaders better! ! lol yes RG there were ?'s  that i hadn't asked yet . LOL I may be a little slow on picking up concepts , but i do get them eventually. Now if i could just spell. LOL

black55

« Reply #2127 on: Jun 19, 2013, 08:43 AM »
TRAP how stable is your YAK ? And is there much of a back rest on it ?                                                 KP  what are they doing  with  the sunnys and perch ? sunnys are my go to catfish bait !

trapper2000

« Reply #2128 on: Jun 19, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Hey Trap...good luck with the blue gills and sunnies. When you get your freezer filled,isaw a sign in a bait shop where they are buying them larger sunfish for $1.40 each now. Perch are getting $1.25 each. You could have a fish fry with some and a "free" 30 pack with some..and some gas money too!LOL.

oh  gee  you mean  i  can sell  panfish  ????? ;D wish  i  had  thought  of  this  before  ......

black i  have  3  kayaks  all  are  alot  more  stable  then  a  canoe  ,,,  all have  seats  with  back  rest  and  are   rather  comfortable  to   be  in  ...takes  a  bit  of  getting  use  to  casting  so low  to  the  water  but other  then  that  i love  them ,  easy  to  take  when i'm  alone

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2129 on: Jun 20, 2013, 01:58 AM »
Wound up a 72" fluorocarbon furled leader last evening to use as a sinking shock leader for the carp rig. Not sure I'm happy with it. It doesn't stretch as much as I would like. I'll probably do one with 4lb green stren. I think I'll get a bit more stretch with that.

I decided to test everything with my 9' 9wt Lamiglas rod before trying the "Boo". I built it many years ago for pike and bass and I know it will handle a big fish. I have a nice Pfleuger 1495A in the collection. I put an 8wt sink tip on it. The furled leaders made from mono sink nicely and I'm hoping that with the lead core/hair rig it won't require any additional weight for use in the canal. For carp I feel the less weight they feel on the line, the better.

I have a spool of 12 lb lead core which may be adequate, but I'm going to pick up a spool of 30lb to try as well. I'm using #6 Matzuo Sickle hooks. They seem a good choice as a modified circle hook and have a wider gape. I'll post some pics of the rigs tonight.

I bought some 3/16 steel rod yesterday to fabricate my rod holders. Store bought seem overpriced and over built.

Hoping for a reasonably short work day today. I'm itching to give it a go.

Choo Choo, I meant to tell you, I love the Tin Man in the tree :clapping:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.