FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561841 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2145 on: Jun 21, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Happy Birthday kids!

Choo Choo,
To tell the truth, I found a spool of 200 yds ,12lb for 9 bucks. The 30 lb was 11 bucks. About 2 lifetime supplies I figure  ::).

I got my box of goodies yesterday. Never even opened it till tonight. I went off to the stream instead. Caught my first smallmouth on my 2 wt. I'm really happy with that build. It requires a light hand though. Always been a problem for me.

My tennis coach was constantly on my case about my over gripping the racquet. He had a name tag made for me. "Grippus Maximus". Made me wear it every class and match. Even now...many years later, when I find I'm talking to myself on the stream and saying"Lighten up!", I smile and think of Greg. Who knew it would help my tennis, golf and even fly casting.

Casting, the golf swing, the tennis stroke even swinging a hammer all have a common element. They require a relaxed motion. It's amazing how the fly cast eases tension. The lightness of the hand, the softness and cadence of the stroke, the relaxed stance....it promotes serenity. That is until you lose your 6th fly to the same tree branch which is just slightly out of reach and now holds your complete fly selection for the particular stream as well as 20' of leader.

At this point it's useless to expect serenity.......BREAK OUT THE CHAIN SAW!

But I digress :-\

RG

Thanks Greg!

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #2146 on: Jun 21, 2013, 07:00 PM »
RG ; Tennis is my fav sport untill my back gave out on me, use to play 4 or 5 days a week, still have hopes of playing again some day.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

black55

« Reply #2147 on: Jun 21, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Had a minor victory today , i mastered the perfection loop knot today on 4 lb clear mono ! Thanks to all you guys for the links and help ! !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2148 on: Jun 22, 2013, 01:35 AM »
I was the facilities director at an upscale tennis and athletic club for a few years. I loved tennis and had the entire coaching staff  and an incredible facility at my fingertips. Too bad the company was awful to work for. I might still be there.

Have to spend some time at my Grandson's soccer tourney this morning, then  it's off to the carp waters to test out some stuff :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #2149 on: Jun 22, 2013, 09:05 AM »
RG i was never was that good , never could make the team , i was a heavy weight wrestler in high school and college. But my brother played at a college at Taylor Univ, did u play at the college level? If so where at and when ? my bro was just wondering.

EasternCentralNY21

« Reply #2150 on: Jun 22, 2013, 09:38 AM »
I just started fly fishing, The first time I picked up my rod I sucked..... but I fished with it for a week straight and I got pretty good at just getting it to where I want it. The few fish that actually hit my fly I pulled it right out of there mouth.. But I went golfing one day after fishing and shot 2 over par for the first time! ......I think having to finess the rod so much made me lighten up on my grip and swing my club a bit more fluidly!!!! I work at kingswood golf course in hudson falls but I don't play often and I can hardly make under 100 most days,  but on my days off if I go fly fishing and after I go golfing I always shoot better!!!! maybe it has to do with the stretching or getting relaxed  ... almost meditating .... then with a clear mind going to shoot a round.

I love golf and fishing and at kingswood I could do both fishing on a golf course then do some night putting haha there are a couple of ponds that got stocked a long time ago with sunnies and bass lotta weeds but there are some big ones!!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2151 on: Jun 22, 2013, 01:20 PM »
been  fly  fishing  nearly 50  years  and  still suck 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

black55

« Reply #2152 on: Jun 22, 2013, 01:30 PM »
been  fly  fishing  nearly 50  years  and  still suck 
  Trap i find it very hard to believe  that you suck at anything that you put your mind to ! ! LOL

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2153 on: Jun 22, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I went to watch my Grandson Colin play soccer this morning. He had an assist with a great pass for a goal. Later he scored the winning goal.

Since then I've been getting my carpin' stuff together. I've got the rod holders made and the fly rod all set up. Made a couple of rigs and I'm getting ready to make up some boilies. It'll be my first attempt. Should be messy and lots of fun ;D I've been watching you tube videos for the last week. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the mix as long as it ends up the consistency of play dough. Many of the more expensive brands contain nyger seeds and some form of soy protein. I'll probably go through all of this and end up tossing a worm at them.

Keep practicing Trap....that's the fun part ;D

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #2154 on: Jun 22, 2013, 03:50 PM »
RG  when  i  was  a  kid  we  half  boiled potatos  for  them  ....  not  sure  if  that  info  helps  but  you  never  know  ;D

i'm  begining  to  think  carp  are  the  biggest  challenge   for  the  fly  rod.  they  weary  big  and  very  selective  as  to  what  they  eat 

black55

« Reply #2155 on: Jun 22, 2013, 04:04 PM »
RG when you make your dough add some wheaties to it .when i go carp fishing my go to bait is wheaties with just enough water to make a dough .carp love them! !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2156 on: Jun 22, 2013, 04:30 PM »
My luck in the streams has come in a few different ways. If you can find a feeding pod you have a very good chance at a couple of hook ups sight fishing. One thing though, if you spook 1 fish....you're done. They seem to like anything that mimics a small crayfish. A little puff of silt in front of them from a fly hitting bottom will get their interest.

On other occasions I have blind cast to them and gotten lucky. Then there's the slam, bang, rip line off the spool and gone kind of hits. Out of nowhere one will grab a fly for no apparent reason and head for the next county.

The boilies came out OK :clapping:

dry stuff
1 1/2 c   King Arthur unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 c corn meal flour
1/4 c dried buttermilk
1/2 c niger seed
2 tbs soy protein

1 batch had 2 tbsp jello. Strawberry.

wet stuff
1 egg
1 tbsp dark molasses
1 tsp vanilla

Mix dry and wet in separate bowls. Add dry to wet till it is like play dough. Roll out into a 3/4" roll. cut into pieces and roll into balls. Drop into boiling water for 1 - 3 minutes. The longer it cooks the harder it will end up. We'll see if it works tomorrow ;D

My little soccer star after scoring the winner :clapping: :clapping:

RG

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2157 on: Jun 22, 2013, 06:13 PM »
wow RG that kid is growing up fast :o 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2158 on: Jun 23, 2013, 01:11 AM »
Don't they all HT?

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #2159 on: Jun 23, 2013, 05:25 AM »
river  is  back  to normal  ;D getting  coffee  ,kayak  is  loaded  ,time  to  head   down  to  the  river   with  some   frogs  and  clousers  for  some  bass  action .....   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.