FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561128 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2160 on: Jun 23, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Went 2 for 5 with the carp this morning. It was lots of fun. But.....people started showing up and I bailed. Around 9:30 I went home and collected the fly rod and my vest. Off to the stream :clapping:

Not a lot of action but managed one nice smallmouth and a few others. Picked up some crayfish for bait. Had a great time in the cool waters of my favorite stream.

ECNY 21,
I remembered something this morning on the stream. I switch rods quite often for my stream trips. Today I took my old faithful Pfleuger President. It's a 5wt, 9', IM6 rod. It casts like a dream...most days. I had a case of the "Quicks" today. Too quick back...to quick forward. All because I was over casting. I started to talk to myself. "What the hell is going on?" I says to myself! " Shorten your stroke dumbass!"., I answered back.

Cured!

Same as golf. When things start going awry....shorten the stroke.

RG

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #2161 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:08 PM »
My luck in the streams has come in a few different ways. If you can find a feeding pod you have a very good chance at a couple of hook ups sight fishing. One thing though, if you spook 1 fish....you're done. They seem to like anything that mimics a small crayfish. A little puff of silt in front of them from a fly hitting bottom will get their interest.

On other occasions I have blind cast to them and gotten lucky. Then there's the slam, bang, rip line off the spool and gone kind of hits. Out of nowhere one will grab a fly for no apparent reason and head for the next county.

The boilies came out OK :clapping:

dry stuff
1 1/2 c   King Arthur unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 c corn meal flour
1/4 c dried buttermilk
1/2 c niger seed
2 tbs soy protein

1 batch had 2 tbsp jello. Strawberry.

wet stuff
1 egg
1 tbsp dark molasses
1 tsp vanilla

Mix dry and wet in separate bowls. Add dry to wet till it is like play dough. Roll out into a 3/4" roll. cut into pieces and roll into balls. Drop into boiling water for 1 - 3 minutes. The longer it cooks the harder it will end up. We'll see if it works tomorrow ;D

My little soccer star after scoring the winner :clapping: :clapping:

RG

I have witnessed many of them days/games Bob, with Josh and Megan!! ;) Great stuff, thanks for sharing!! Colin is growing up fast my friend!!

Life is Good!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2162 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Went 2 for 5 with the carp this morning. It was lots of fun. But.....people started showing up and I bailed. Around 9:30 I went home and collected the fly rod and my vest. Off to the stream :clapping:

Not a lot of action but managed one nice smallmouth and a few others. Picked up some crayfish for bait. Had a great time in the cool waters of my favorite stream.

ECNY 21,
I remembered something this morning on the stream. I switch rods quite often for my stream trips. Today I took my old faithful Pfleuger President. It's a 5wt, 9', IM6 rod. It casts like a dream...most days. I had a case of the "Quicks" today. Too quick back...to quick forward. All because I was over casting. I started to talk to myself. "What the hell is going on?" I says to myself! " Shorten your stroke dumbass!"., I answered back.

Cured!

Same as golf. When things start going awry....shorten the stroke.

RG

RG
perfect statement BOB ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2163 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:15 PM »
you  say  short  and  HT  comes   :rotflol:................... 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #2164 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:52 PM »
you  say  short  and  HT  comes   :rotflol:................... 
:w00t:

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2165 on: Jun 23, 2013, 07:40 PM »
wow RG that kid is growing up fast :o 8)

That picture of Collins first snowball seems like it was yesterday...

My rug rats had thier first cake this weekend...

It got quite messy!

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2166 on: Jun 24, 2013, 02:04 AM »
I have 1st cake pics of both my kids. They're identical :clapping: :clapping: Cake everywhere. Spaghetti face pics are universal too.

As a sort of Moderator on this site, I'd like to remind our members that we do not discriminate. Please refrain from derogatory comments about the vertically challenged! 

Thank you.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2167 on: Jun 24, 2013, 03:51 AM »
they look like freddie in his ice shanty trying to eat his lunch when a hot school of white perch comes thru ;D ;D ;D

choo choo

« Reply #2168 on: Jun 24, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Nice job on the carp RG..WE used to walk to the bakery, on our way to the carp fishin' hole, when I was a kid. We would ask for .25 or .50 cents worth of dough for doughball bait.Sometimes mom would "cook" us up cornmeal and flour with vanilla extract for cornmeal doughballs..which worked real good. Spinning rod for them. But later when I was a teen, we would catch them on the surface with fly rods with a fly hooked into a piece of bread. The carp were conditioned to gather downstream from where all the people were feeding the ducks in the park...schools of carp would be sucking the floating stale bread pieces right off the surface. We would "match the hatch" by softly casting our dry fly/bread into the feeding carp...and it was a blast!! We talked about tieing up an imitation bread fly...but never did.Fun times!
I'm fishing my way through life .

choo choo

« Reply #2169 on: Jun 24, 2013, 07:10 AM »
RG...I told my campground neighbors that you liked their "tin man" in the background of my trout picture last week. They said that they bought it many years a go in Chittenango ny,near ss Onieda lake.The guy who wrote "the Wizard of Oz" is from there...and they still have a "Wizard of Oz"gift shop and parade there...supposed to be yellow brick sidewalks there in town too!! Here is a better pic for you..
I'm fishing my way through life .

KingPerch

« Reply #2170 on: Jun 25, 2013, 04:38 PM »
That picture of Collins first snowball seems like it was yesterday...

It got quite messy!

:thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch

« Reply #2171 on: Jun 25, 2013, 04:39 PM »
they look like freddie in his ice shanty trying to eat his lunch when a hot school of white perch comes thru ;D ;D ;D
:w00t: :rotflol:

coachwarner

« Reply #2172 on: Jun 25, 2013, 05:13 PM »

It got quite messy!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  :thumbup_smilie:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2173 on: Jul 01, 2013, 01:49 AM »
I bumped into a fellow fly fishin for carp at the launch yesterday. I've met him before around the area. He was nymphin' with a corn fly and having success. We chatted a bit, shared some fly patterns and laughed about how much fun carp are on the fly. I showed him the furled leader I was using and found he'd never tried one. I took the boat home and returned with a couple for him to try.

It seems fly fishers who chase carp are the most affable of the species.

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2174 on: Jul 01, 2013, 05:19 AM »
carp have  only  one  purpose............fun!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.