FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560900 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2205 on: Jul 29, 2013, 01:49 AM »
Well, I gave the ugly fly collection a workout over the weekend. All took fish, Rockies,Smallmouth and bluegills.Still, my mini clousers out-fished them. Best fly I've ever tied

Yesterday I took the boat to the canal for some bass action. I collected a few dozen crayfish Thursday evening when I was on the creek. Bass after bass after bass with a few drum mixed in. Had to bail early with weather coming in but I wasn't really into that fishing anyway. I wanted to chuck some flies.

I ordered up a couple of new fly lines the other day. A Cortland Precision Premium WF5F  for my TFO Axiom and a Sylk WF2F for my 2 wt. I've been running a DT5F  the Axiom. It's great for roll casting and medium distance, but, I think a weight forward line will give me better control at distance. I've been using a WF3F on the 2wt and it's definitely too much for that blank.

Anyway, more stuff to play with.

Trapper, I want honest field testing results for the leaders :laugh:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2206 on: Jul 29, 2013, 05:32 AM »
oh  i'll  test  it  ;D  the  bass are  in the  pockets  in the river and  a  man  can  have  some  fun know  ...i  been watching the  guys  bait  fishing  for  carp  down at the  river too ,  i  have  to admit  it was  impressive  looking outfits  to  catch  ole  rubber  nose .
 well  trapp  forgot to  register  his  v botom and  i'm waiting  for the  dmv  to open , i'm  sure  if i  sneak  mr  cuomo  would  be  circling me with  his  Gov  helocoptor  and searching  my  truck  for  8  rounds  in a  rifle  magzine  ......  have  fun  boys   and  fish  hard 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #2207 on: Jul 29, 2013, 05:43 AM »
Good job on the fish RG!

Have fun at the DMV trapper.You'll feel better fishing when your boat is legal ;D
I'm fishing my way through life .

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2208 on: Jul 29, 2013, 06:23 AM »
rg...tying instructions/photo of the mini-clouser?

trapper2000

« Reply #2209 on: Jul 29, 2013, 07:22 AM »
Good job on the fish RG!

Have fun at the DMV trapper.You'll feel better fishing when your boat is legal ;D

yup  i  will  , i hate  the hassle  of  things  not  being  right ,i  just  used  the  jon boat  yesterday  so no biggy

OLA-FAN

« Reply #2210 on: Jul 29, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I found a old tubular glass rod it is a hawthorne  #60-6679 -81/2  this rod doesn't have a weight number . Can anyone help md ID this esp what weight fly line it takes . This rod is from the late 60's or early 70's .any help is appreciate .thanks
Hawthorne was the trade name that Montgomery Wards used for their line of fishing rods and reels.
  Most likely, the rod you have is from the late 50's to early 60's.  Can't help you with the line weight but being an 8 1/2 foot rod, I'd guess it's a 6-7 or 7-8 weight based on old glass fly rods I have owned.
  Not worth much but nice old rods to use or add to a collection.

black55

« Reply #2211 on: Jul 29, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Thanks o_f ,i was thinking it was more like a 4 wt but i don't have any experance with that old of rod . Thanks again.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2212 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:50 PM »
Well. You guys' done did it!
I'm going to give the 'Ol fly rod another go. I've been following this thread since day one and you've worn me down.
Maybe at the ripe old age of 36 I'll finally have the patience to graduate to the fly.  ;D
As a total noob I owe you guys a huge thanks for the info in this thread and the tying thread. Armed with your tips and an hour of Lefty Kreh videos I'll have a little confidence hitting the local honey hole tonight. Wish me luck!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2213 on: Jul 29, 2013, 04:59 PM »
I've said it before....I'll say it again...If you want to get some solid instruction on casting, look up some Joan Wulff videos on You Tube. What Lefty has in aggressiveness, she has in pure artistry. Learning from her smooth as silk, classical technique will help any fly fisher anywhere.

Mini Clouser

I tie #12 - #6 on a Natural Curve, 2x long nymph hook. Light streamer hooks will work as well. The dace colors are killers although, rust/white and olive/white produce well in my streams. . Brass beads for heavier....chain beads for light.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2214 on: Jul 29, 2013, 06:50 PM »
nice  rg! 

so  i  went  down at  8:30  am  to  register  my  boat  and  "do  the  right  thing"  ya  know   God  really  does  have a sence  of  humor  ,what are  the chances  the  DMV  computors were  down ALL  day???? 

oh  well  i  spent  the  time  cleaning  up  the  v bottom  and  rigging  it  up a little  ,cross  your  fingers and  i'll  be  back in my  beloved  river  by  9 am  tomorrow

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2215 on: Jul 30, 2013, 04:29 PM »
I'm an agnostic, but life sure seems to have a way of paying us back for our indiscretions. I say , grab the fly chaser and hit the streams ;D

I saw the funniest thing I've seen in many years today. I was stopped at a red light in my bucket truck and the car next to me, occupied by an oriental family, had a bobble head Buddha on the dash. Made my day....I'll be smiling for months over that one.

RG

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2216 on: Jul 30, 2013, 05:06 PM »
LOL!! Thank you!!! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2217 on: Jul 30, 2013, 05:51 PM »

;D

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2218 on: Aug 04, 2013, 03:15 PM »
Had a hard time deciding what to use for a fly rod this morning. The wind was blowing pretty hard but I really wanted to use the 3wt. So...I spooled up a new WF4F Cortland Precision on the Albright and grabbed the 3wt. Opted for a 60" heavy butt furled leader and 4x tippet. Except for adding a couple of feet of 5x for some lighter flies, that was the setup. It handled everything from #16 elk hair caddis to some pretty hefty clousers.

Moving up a line weight and using a weight forward helped a lot. I even landed a carp in the 12lb range.

A really fun fishing day on my "Backyard Stream".

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #2219 on: Aug 05, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Had a hard time deciding what to use for a fly rod this morning. The wind was blowing pretty hard but I really wanted to use the 3wt. So...I spooled up a new WF4F Cortland Precision on the Albright and grabbed the 3wt. Opted for a 60" heavy butt furled leader and 4x tippet. Except for adding a couple of feet of 5x for some lighter flies, that was the setup. It handled everything from #16 elk hair caddis to some pretty hefty clousers.

Moving up a line weight and using a weight forward helped a lot. I even landed a carp in the 12lb range.

A really fun fishing day on my "Backyard Stream".

RG
Decisions...decisions...decisions!!! ;D

Glad your taking time to enjoy the fine outdoors Bob!! ;)

KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.