FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560697 times)

KingPerch

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2220 on: Aug 20, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Sooooo...where are the Old Farts?? ::)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

black55

« Reply #2221 on: Aug 20, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I'm learning  to cast ,found that it is easier to learn on a 6 and/or 7 wt then on my new 4 wt .been catching some smallies and sunnies but nothing of any size yet.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

KingPerch

« Reply #2222 on: Aug 20, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Black55....check!! ;D

Great to hear your out chucking flies! ;)--KP 8)

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #2223 on: Aug 20, 2013, 01:59 PM »
man I am dying to get a fly rod but it just isn't in the cards this year. :'(  maybe next year I will get one cause I really want to try trout fishin with flys. theres a few nice rivers were its fly fishing only on the best parts so I need to learn!

black55

« Reply #2224 on: Aug 20, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Blue start asking around to your buddies and check out garage sales and flea markets . I picked up a sweet old martin rod with a  nice old reel with line.all i had to do was put some backing on the line and add a leader and i was set to go . All for 20 dollars.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2225 on: Aug 20, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Sooooo...where are the Old Farts?? ::)--KP 8)

Spent last week camping up in the wilds of canada...  ;D

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2226 on: Aug 21, 2013, 01:54 AM »
We're here....just working and fishing. Seems you need to work to earn the time and stuff to fish. All good things come with a price, so...

"I can tell your fancy I can tell your plain
You give something up for everything you gain
Since every pleasure's got an edge of pain
Pay for your ticket and don't complain."
Robert Allen Zimmerman

I've been playing with my 2wt and new lines for my 3wt and 5 wt. I bought a Cortland Sylk WF2F for the little rod and ...my oh my but it's sweet. I've had so much fun with that build. I dedicated last Saturday's outing to dries only. A 60" light furled leader with 3' of 5x tippet and it was settling #18 BWO's and tiny Elk Hair Caddis like a feather.

For the 3wt I picked up a Cortland Precision Trout WF4F. The TFO blanks are fairly fast and it handles the 4wt line like a dream. I landed a couple of carp in the 8lb range with it. Very happy so far.

Lastly, I picked up a Cortland Precision WF5F for my TFO Axiom. I've been using a DT5F on it and it seems tight. By that I mean the loops are exceptionally tight. It roll casts like nothing I've ever handled, but distance is a problem. The weight forward seems to load the rod nicely. I may find a 6wt line for it for "hero casting" the big rivers.

In short...I've been working and fly fishing. Oh yeah...I also bought a car. An actual car. A new Nissan Altima. First "car" in 35 years. I love it....and it's RED!
 I was gonna trade the little red truck, but I couldn't bring myself to part with it. I kept it for a fishmobile ;D (At least that's what I told my Bride) What a difference in technology from the '03 Ranger :-\

Looks like a fun trip Jay!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2227 on: Aug 21, 2013, 01:54 AM »
Where's that Trapper?????

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #2228 on: Aug 21, 2013, 05:31 AM »
DC...check! ;D Your not an Old Fart...YET!! Great pics of the family Jay!! Great stuff!!

RG....check! ;D

Yes....where is Trapper?? ::)

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2229 on: Aug 21, 2013, 06:24 AM »
DC...check! ;D Your not an Old Fart...

38 with twins... I feel real old!!! Plus I figured over 30 years of weilding a flyrod.  ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2230 on: Aug 21, 2013, 06:41 AM »
i'm here  RG ...i  just been fishing alot!!!! and  fieldtesting   something  ...which i'm impressed with  ...
after  spending the  summer fishing as  many  places as i  can i  have  reconfirmed  all my beliefs  ...super braid sucks..
plastic  is  for people  that  can't  touch real  bait ....chinnook  salmon  don't feed in rivers....wear a  life  jacket!  and
flyfishing only water is  for  people  that hate kids with  zebco's  ......  same  trapper ....same  opinions!.......and  rember  this we still live in america  and  everyone is  entitled to my opinion!!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #2231 on: Aug 21, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Trapper...check! ;D  We wouldn't have you any other way Trap!! ;) :flag:--KP 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2232 on: Aug 21, 2013, 04:26 PM »
d**n Trapper...that has to be the most concise, accurate post I've ever seen you make.  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You're the second field tester ...well third including me. They're different aren't they? You'll be fishing them 5 years from now. I made some for my 2 wt to go with a new line and dry flies. The best part is you can make them any way you want. If you ever want to learn how to make them, I'll pack up my kit and take a ride. All it will cost you is breakfast and some fly fishing  ;D

RG

black55

« Reply #2233 on: Aug 26, 2013, 12:03 AM »
This rookie old fart has been hitting the stream throwing flys ever other day now for almost a month now ! And can say that i have improved in my casting and aim 100% in the last 2 weeks. Now i just need to improve my hook setting ,lol .RG tell jr i hook into a large smallie with one of his frogs , but it spit the frog just as i was reaching for it. The sunnie's are getting better to ,they are hitting my dry flies hard and chewing them up.i've started a wall of fame for flies that have caught atleast 10 fish and are unuseable ! My largest fish so far is a 1# large mouth , i know it's not a big fish ,but hopefully as i get more experance in reading the stream the size will increase. And a 1# lm in the stream i'm fishing isn't that bad ,the smallies do grow bigger.

black55

« Reply #2234 on: Aug 26, 2013, 12:10 AM »
Oops i ment KP sorry Rg .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.