FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560949 times)

Dark Cloud

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2280 on: Sep 12, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Yep and yep...
Mono and fluorocarbon. Try and keep the second fly on a piece of line 2-4 inchs long, any longer and it twist around the main line.
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2281 on: Sep 13, 2013, 01:48 AM »

RG, quick question for line to line what do you think of the double uni ?
A pain in the neck for my big old hands to tie. But a better knot for joining lines of greatly different diameter.

I happened to be in Cortland yesterday so I stopped into the factory store. There weren't any great deals to be had. A little disappointing. I did buy a WF7F Sylk for the "Boo", along with a few spools of leader material. It gave me chest pains to pay retail at a factory outlet, but I wanted the new line :-\ (Same price as Cabelas online)

Supposedly, they're having some big sell off sale in the next couple of weeks...or so the salesman said.

I looked at a 10', 5wt nymph rod. Their latest and greatest I guess. Aside from a pretty good whale in the last 2 sections, ( poorly spined) they could at least get the eyes on in line.  I'll build my own, thanks.

But....I do like their lines.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2282 on: Sep 13, 2013, 07:07 AM »

thanks RG it's funny when we talk about hands I'm short 2 digits, the the double uni was the only one I can tie without making myself bald , thanks for the response

yea I have noticed a lot of rods ,that the guides are not as straight as they could be , and remember there will always be a latest and greatest  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2283 on: Sep 13, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Gotta go with what you know Fred ;D

Seems like after 30 years in a cabinet shop I should be missing a few too. Some how I can still count to 10 without getting too confused ;D

Now, if I can keep fro frying myself for the next few years, I may end up OK!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2284 on: Sep 13, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I love my Red Truck Diesel. A truly well made reel. And....you don't have to sell the house to buy one ;D

RG

RG,
That is a nice looking reel, but for $200+.... what can it do that a nice old vintage US made Pflueger can't?

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

black55

« Reply #2285 on: Sep 13, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Thanks DC i tied some up today. The butt section is17# then 8# then 6# ,with a couple with 4#. Hope they will turn over ok. Will find out monday.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2286 on: Sep 14, 2013, 01:20 AM »
RG,
That is a nice looking reel, but for $200+.... what can it do that a nice old vintage US made Pflueger can't?

WK
Old reels are fine if that's what you want. I have a few myself.

The 2 Pfleugers in the second row bottom right are the first fly reels I ever bought. The backing on the 1495 is there for a reason.....I still use it ;D

I'm not what you'd call an impulse buyer. I do my homework before I part with my hard earned nickles.

Form follows function for me. The Red truck is a quantum leap in machining accuracy and quality from my old Pfleugers, Martins and Southbends. Better materials, better drag, better fit = smoother action. I paid $100 for mine on sale at Leland. I can upgrade it with them any time I want. It's worth every penny of $200. It's a high quality reel at a very good price. I bought it to match up with a 5 wt TFO rod I built. The weight is perfect for the rod and, for me, the outfit is very enjoyable to use. It's by far my favorite reel to use. It finds time on several of my rods.

If I'm taking my "Boo" or an old glass rod out for some air time, I go nostalgic.

Actually, I prefer the Martins to the pfleugers :-\

RG

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2287 on: Sep 14, 2013, 10:31 AM »
RG,

I hope you don't think I was being crass...I asked that because I too believe in quality first and was considering a new 6wt outfit. I have a 1495 as well and it's a great reel, albeit a little heavy. I have a few old automatics I keep on a curio shelf in my den but never use them. One is a Shakespeare model GD, one a Martin horizontal patent dated Oct. 9 1923, and the other a Perrine model 50 new in it's original box from the 50's. My Mom bought me the Martin along with a Montague 9' bamboo rod at an auction when I was a kid. If I remember right, she gave $7 for it. I used that outfit with mono to fish bait for our local stockies. Once while baiting up I accidentally bumped the retrieve lever and drove a hook into my finger, that's when I decided to retire that one. I enjoy fly fishing but I'll admit I'm still a novice. I have a few decent outfits, one 3wt, two 4wts, and one 6wt. Took up tying a few years back as well and tie a lot of my own flies now. Nothing elaborate, just what my present skills and materials on hand will allow. I enjoy the tying almost as much as the fishing (almost).  ;D

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2288 on: Sep 14, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Nah, I didn't take it that way at all. I love my old reels. I use my new reels more ;D

I'm putting a new WF7F Cortland 444 Sylk on one of my 1133 South Bend reels for tomorrow's outing. Had to work today...which sucked....but the money was good for a few toys ;D

Haven't decided if I'm taking the Boo or the Fenglas.....decisions.... decisions ;D

RG

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2289 on: Sep 14, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Nah, I didn't take it that way at all. I love my old reels. I use my new reels more ;D

I'm putting a new WF7F Cortland 444 Sylk on one of my 1133 South Bend reels for tomorrow's outing. Had to work today...which sucked....but the money was good for a few toys ;D

Haven't decided if I'm taking the Boo or the Fenglas.....decisions.... decisions ;D

RG

Yea...I still have my Fenwick FF806 that I purchased back in '82. I loaded up the spare spool I have for my Pflueger 1495 with Scientific Anglers WF 6F Bass Bug Taper line. Figured it would make a good river Smallmouth outfit. I can't believe what those older glass Fenwick rods are bringing on Ebay nowadays.

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2290 on: Sep 17, 2013, 01:43 AM »
So I took the Bamboo out on Sunday for a while. High praise for the new Cortland Sylk lines so far. They handle like a dream on bamboo and glass. Caught some nice rockies and smallmouth. Had a ball. I lost one nice smallie. Not being used to the power of the boo, I broke him off. I had a #12 dace streamer on with 5x tippet. Guess I've forgotten how to use heavier rods after playing with the 2 & 3wts all summer.

Lots of fun though. Very satisfying to use a rod and reel I restored with flies and leader I made....and catch fish ;D

That's why I love fly fishing!

RG

filetandrelease

« Reply #2291 on: Sep 17, 2013, 06:05 AM »

RG nice collection  :thumbup_smilie: I remember my dad using a few of those , sadly I only have a couple left one is an old Ocean City ,and I have a few of my gramps old spinning reels 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2292 on: Sep 18, 2013, 01:22 AM »
There's more Fred :-\ I've managed to curb my appetite for quite a while now. Haven't bought one in a year or so. I have a few around my office too.

RG

filetandrelease

« Reply #2293 on: Sep 18, 2013, 06:00 AM »
There's more Fred :-\ I've managed to curb my appetite for quite a while now. Haven't bought one in a year or so. I have a few around my office too.

RG

sounds like you need to feed your addiction  ;) nice collection

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2294 on: Sep 18, 2013, 06:15 AM »
I have another ? (lol can hear the groans already lol) anyway the ? Is what knot do most of you guys use to tie your tippits with ? I've been using the double surgions but have found the figure 8 (orvis ) knot to be a little easier for me to tie. So what do you guys use?

i personally  use  a surgions  knot ...  i  can  tie  it  in the  dark  and  it's  fast and  strong  .... 

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/

rg  i  say  at the  tippet  end!  i  used a  indicator  nymphing and it  worked   great  but that was  in  calm water  i  want to use  your leaders short line nymphing  some   faster water and  pocket water  .....  from salmon to  blue gills  ...and  i  see  no wear  ....  casting   good   .... these  leaders  get  a  thumbs  up  ...... 

heading  down  to the  river  you all  have  a  great  day and  get  out on the water!  ....God  bless 

life  is  good
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.