FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 562079 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2310 on: Sep 23, 2013, 05:55 PM »
another  solid  day  of  gills  ....  fish are  deep  now .near  bottom in 12  ft of water ... ran   2  bead  head  weights  and waited  for them to  sink ...  once down  the  fish were  there  solid  ... i  was  over  100  gills  by  noon  ...but i  noticed  more  small  fish  ....hope  they  come   shallow  when it  hits  70  again  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #2311 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:51 AM »
Nice picture Trap!!..Good job on those bluegills!!!
I'm fishing my way through life .

trapper2000

« Reply #2312 on: Sep 27, 2013, 04:57 AM »
i  have  never  had a  better blue  gill year!!!!  i  have  found you may  pull afew  off the  top (  foam  yellow  jacket pattern  or  a  small  cricket)  the  real  meat is  12  foot down  , so  we  been playing  , with the  fly rod i been using a  double nymph set up both weighted well to  get  down there  and  extend the tippet .... takes a  bit  to get use  to ,i'm a  creature of habbit and i hate  change ....  i know what yer going to  say  ...blah  blah  blah  ...... i don't  care  lol  ....  rg  your  leaders  work  great  for this ! 

next  i  been cheating  at  times ,been free  jigging  with  my  okuma  rods  i  got  from snagger  (best panfish rods i  ever  got! ask  snagger  to  get  you one  if  your a  panfish man)....what a  great time!  and  yessssssssssssssssss  i'm using  GOLDEN STREN ..... but i have  found 2 new  tricks!  .....  i  ran out of  spikes  and  had a  jar of gulp ALIVE  waxies ....... i used them  for 2 weeks  now .... they  fish as  well as  spikes  most times .... i wouldn't  replace  spikes  but  never  hurts  to  carry a  bottle in your  pack pack ....  next  butter worms  ...bit  expensive  but  i caught  78 keeper  gills on 20  ...

on  the  fly fishing . top water  foam yellow  jacket  bee pattern or a  cricket ..... under  double  nymphs  weighted heavy ...been running a  stone or prince nymph and a  hares ear  bead head .....

bass and  pike are evey where too  ... life is  good  enjoy it!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2313 on: Sep 27, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Love it Trap...great report.

I'll be hitting the upper reaches of the Genesee this Sunday (have to work tomorrow.....again :-\). I'll be searching for hungry smallmouth. I've tied a selection of these buggers

It's my experimental Clouser pattern. last time out I used only one of these and fished the entire day catching a good number of smallies. I created a few different patterns this time. Maybe I'll get to use more than one ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2314 on: Sep 27, 2013, 09:22 PM »
impressive  not so young sky walker !  ...i  like  it  ....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2315 on: Sep 28, 2013, 12:26 AM »
Be the fly Danny....be the fly.......na nnnnnnnnnnnnn!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2316 on: Sep 28, 2013, 04:37 AM »
fish on ...fish off ....fish on ....fish of

seriously  nice  fly ....  i been  playing  with some  bead chain eyed flies  myself

heading  back out after this  coffee RG  ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #2317 on: Oct 02, 2013, 07:40 AM »
i'm  still  having  fun   with  the  flyrod   mixed  with  the  ultra lite .... i  was  fishing   my  marina   and  the  fish   were  slow  and  deep   around  5  pm  i  seen  fish  comeing  up  taking  something  of  the  top  i  switche  to  the  fly  rod  with a  foam  spinder-bee  pattern omg  fish  after  fish  it  lasted  till   dark and  i  quit   when  it  slowed  down abit  i  switched  to  a  NON weighted  nymph   and   whould  cast  it  and   watch  it  start to  drop   a  twitch  and   blam  a  gill  was  on ....also  took a  few  small  large  mouths  and a  decent  small  mouth  during  the  blitz  i  never  fished a  fly  below  2 foot  ....  that  was a  change  i  was  over  12  to  14  foot  ..... and  i  been  fishing  deep ...

on  the  other  side  i  been   compairing   the  gulp  live  waxiues   to   bits  of  crawlers  and   spikes  ....  i  honestly  can't  say  which  worked  best  however  there  was  times  live  bait  worked  better   but  during  a   bite   it   didn't  matter  and  the  gulp  was  quicker ....i  would  not  hesatate   to  go  fishing  with  just  a  jar  of  gulp  for  bait 

i  did  free  jig  alot  to   i  used  a  1/32   hair  jig  on  bottom  and  a  bead  head  hares  ear   above  it  on  my  5 1/5  ft   okuma  ....  i  used  one   rod  with  the  golden  stren  the  othere   with  the   new  pro  crappie line  the   crappie  line  would  be  great  if  you  could  get  it  in  2 or  4  lb! 

most  fish  were  on  the  bottom    during  mid  day  and the  perch  are  showing  up  in  numbers  now

best  time  of  the  year  guys  get  out  there  and  remeber  take  a  kid  fishing   .....  life  is  good

black55

« Reply #2318 on: Oct 02, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Wow Trap i guess i believe u now , about fishing the the clouser , i have hard time believing u haven't used a clouser streamer. But they are hard to cast, atleast with a 4wt rod , i'm going to try them with my 7/8 wt rod. By the way sounds like u had a great day , big gills are a blast on my 4wt i'm guessing u were using your 3wt.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

trapper2000

« Reply #2319 on: Oct 02, 2013, 11:46 AM »
black  i  use  clousers  alot  buddy  i  was  just  pulling  your  leg  ...  try  shooting   your  line  higher     if  that  doesn't  help   you  may  need a  heavier   rod  wt  ...95%  of  my  fishing  is  with  my  5  wt   but  i  been   flyfishing  awhile

black55

« Reply #2320 on: Oct 02, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Just a while .LOL, i will try my 7wt with them ,as soon as my back heals up.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

oatkasut

« Reply #2321 on: Oct 02, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Nice goin' boys; I'm still getting my share of browns  on dries with the tan EH caddis, p-Adams and BWO at size #16. RG, you might try that on the Genny for a diversion with the bass especially on a cloudy day in the late afternoon or evenong.!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2322 on: Oct 02, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Never made it to the Genny last week. Worked Saturday and it left me with a hefty "to do" list for Sunday. I did get on my backyard stream and pestered the smalmouth and rock bass.

My fall go to fly.

Nice little streamer with a UV head & red squirrel tail. The red is important ;) They ain't perfect but they're sturdy fishing flies....and....fish love them :w00t:

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #2323 on: Oct 02, 2013, 05:12 PM »
RG  very  nice   sorta  like  a   dace   pattern    ....i  like  them   :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch

« Reply #2324 on: Oct 02, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Nice flies Bob!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.