FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561358 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2520 on: Jun 01, 2014, 07:43 PM »
looks like a  nice  day  RG  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2521 on: Jun 02, 2014, 08:02 AM »
very nice  find and  price  ...and they are  light at  3 1/2  oz  thats  good  for a  50 year old rod! 

http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_s/shakespeare.html#

sweet rod  ...wanna  double your  money on it!   oh the  sock  for that was a  blue  colored cloth
Thanks for the offer, Trapper.  :) I've got to cast it first....  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2522 on: Jun 02, 2014, 08:11 AM »

How would I clean that glass rod???
Very carefully!

Start with 50% Isopropyl alcohol and a soft cloth. Stay away from the wraps, they'll turn milky if they come in contact with the alcohol. Use a soft cloth to start and go to paper towel if more abrasion is needed. Step up to 91% if necessary. Dawn and hot water should clean up the grip. Alcohol will get out any deep stains.

Just go slowly!

RG
Thanks RG.  The grip really isn't too awful bad, the rod just looks a little dingy.  I'll give it a try some rainy day, maybe with just the Dawn and water first to see what happens.  What kind of a value might it have?
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2523 on: Jun 02, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Fellow Oldf--ts,

Well... I was perusing my Cabela's fly fishing catalog last Friday and I noticed that there was a promo going on until May 31st with $5 flat rate shipping. Then I remembered that I still had a Cabela's gift cert. my Daughter had given me for Xmas 2012. A brief phone call and I now have one of these on it's way...

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/signature.html#.U4ylgVJOVjo

I still have my vintage glass Fenwick FF806 but I thought the TFO 9' 6wt rod might be a nice addition to the lineup. I'll probably use it on some of the larger streams I fish with heavier nymphs and streamers and use it for Smallies on the Susky as well.  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2524 on: Jun 02, 2014, 12:05 PM »
fishnmachine,

I thought I might be able to help you out with an original Shakespeare Wonderod bag for your fly rod but the one I have is for a model #1175-M which was a casting rod. It's a double sleeve bag with it's original markings and other than some fading it's in decent shape. It's definitely long enough for your fly rod so if you're interested, PM me.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2525 on: Jun 02, 2014, 05:35 PM »
The value of the rod is really subjective. Suffice to say that if you enjoy it.....it's priceless.

Fish it...have some fun with it.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2526 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:45 AM »
The value of the rod is really subjective. Suffice to say that if you enjoy it.....it's priceless.

Fish it...have some fun with it.

RG

;D  I plan to....   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2527 on: Jun 03, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Good stuff Fishmachine!

If you didn't happen to catch it, here's a link to a restoration I made to an old Phillipson a friend gave me. It fishes pretty well.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2528 on: Jun 04, 2014, 11:26 AM »
another  morning  sun,fish,coffee  i do have one concern  the marina i'm fishing  no bluegills at all ,very unusal  other then that it's  great  i even got a clip on coffee cup holder  for my boat or kayak ;D i'm amazed with the improvements in live threw modern technology

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2529 on: Jun 04, 2014, 12:20 PM »
I have 4 of the old Shakespear Wonder rods. they were my grandfathers and Tanks uncles. They were the workin mans rod back in the day. 2 eight footers, one white and one yellow - id call em both 4/5wts. One is a 9 footer and a solid 6wt thats light brown The other is a 6'6" ultralight white with a handle that can be slid down for a fly reel or slid up for a spinning reel. They have been used hard but are priceless to me...
Your probably not gonna get the white too bright, I think they were off white/dingy to begin with...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

perch-hound

« Reply #2530 on: Jun 04, 2014, 01:20 PM »
And I have one of the old anti-reverse Shakespeare Wonder reels.  8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2531 on: Jun 04, 2014, 04:08 PM »
You mean like this one?

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #2532 on: Jun 04, 2014, 05:54 PM »
nice collection RG oh  rg  ment  to tell you one of your leaders is on about 500  rock bass this  year   draged across a sunken barge  boat  docks  pulled free  and  still fishes  great !!!!!  i think  you came up with a winner and  your not retiring at all but  going to work  for RG fly tackle !!!!!  ....they really are a great product :thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2533 on: Jun 04, 2014, 06:25 PM »
I have a bit of production in mind Trapper. Those leaders really hold up to serious abuse don't they? I make a few from time to time and end up giving them away because the ones I use are still perfect after 3 years. Lets see a mono leader do that!

I now have a few spooled on my used tippet spools. I take them with me in case I decide to change tactics. You know, go from heavy Clousers to dries.  What a system! It sure provides flexibility.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #2534 on: Jun 04, 2014, 07:42 PM »
you told me to  give them a  work out and i have ,they  get my aproval

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.