FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560594 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2565 on: Jun 13, 2014, 02:17 PM »
A number of years ago I lent my older brother my brand new Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer with plush red upholstery for a weekend.  (I might mention that I'm fanatical about keeping my vehicles clean)

When he returned it I almost had a heart attack. He put his mutt in the truck for the weekend. It was carpeted with dog hair and stunk to high heaven. I was unhappy to say the least.

The reel is a beauty albeit mistreated. Don' lend him any more reels.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2566 on: Jun 14, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I saw one of those at a sporting goods show in Corning this past winter. If I remember right the guy wanted $50 for it. Used to see them on the Salmon River a lot.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Bigwitt1171

« Reply #2567 on: Jun 14, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Why is fly fishing so d**n expensive? I want to get into it but it seems like it can get really expensive really quick. My father is letting me use a cheapo set up he has but I don't even know where to start. He never got into it but has some stuff laying around. Anyone who is willing to help a newbie out let me know, I'm not looking for spots to go, just how to get started casting and maybe what flies i should start with. I've been trying to learn as much as possible.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2568 on: Jun 14, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Just a heads up for all of you out there in "old f--t land"...

As I stated in an earlier post, I recently ordered a TFO 9' 6wt Signature II rod through Cabela's. I received the rod yesterday and it's a very nice rod for the $$ I spent. But because I wanted a little more info on it than was provided in the Cabela's Fly Fishing catalog, I went to TFO's site and read their write up on it. The TFO site specifically states that "Each rod comes in a beautiful dark green logoed rod sock". The site also has the on-line registration page available for all of their rods. Check it out...

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/signature.html#.U5Ib31JOXIU

Cabela's makes no mention of the rod sock in their product description, nor do they make mention that the rod's are lifetime warranted by TFO. Yet they both sell the rod for the same price (my bad... Cabela's is $.05 cheaper). I naturally assumed that the sock came with the rod as TFO states but when I got it, there was no sock or warranty registration info. I went on TFO's site and registered the rod on-line and then called their 800# and spoke with a representative. She said she would be happy to provide me with a rod sock free of charge and took my information. I then called Cabela's and asked why I did not receive a rod sock with my rod and the Customer Service rep. told me, "Well, that's a special price on those so they don't come with the rod sock." I told her that was BS and that TFO sells the rod at the same price and provides the sock with the rod AND that the rod is lifetime warranted which Cabela's makes no mention of in their product description. I then got the "Sorry, I don't know what to tell you, blah, blah" and if there's nothing else I can help you with then have a nice day. I'm not attempting to turn this into an anti- Cabela's rant, I purchase from them frequently. Just trying to give you all a heads up.

So if anyone out their is considering purchasing a TFO rod, you may want to buy it directly from them and not Cabela's.

WK

Got the rod sock from TFO in the mail today, VERY NICE! Haven't fished the rod yet but I did take it out on the lawn for a brief casting session after I spooled up the new reel I put on it and it's a great rod for the price. So far, I'm impressed with my new TFO rod and the company's excellent customer service!

WK

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2569 on: Jun 14, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Why is fly fishing so d**n expensive? I want to get into it but it seems like it can get really expensive really quick. My father is letting me use a cheapo set up he has but I don't even know where to start. He never got into it but has some stuff laying around. Anyone who is willing to help a newbie out let me know, I'm not looking for spots to go, just how to get started casting and maybe what flies i should start with. I've been trying to learn as much as possible.

Bigwitt,

A great way to get started is to find a pond with a good population of Bluegills and use some poppers, foam spiders, small deer hair bugs, etc. and you should have plenty of action. You'll get to practice casting and stripping line but more importantly, how to react when a fish takes your offering. You don't "snap" the rod up for a hookset like you would with spinning or casting tackle, you "lift" the rod up to tighten the line. Snapping the rod up on the take will more often than not snap your tippet.

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2570 on: Jun 14, 2014, 03:58 PM »
I strongly suggest you get on YouTube and watch some instructional videos. Joan Wulff is far and away my favorite. Lefty Kregh is another.

Short of having some "old fart" show you the ropes, it's the best I can suggest.

Flies? Wooly Bugger, black nosed dace, any kind of clouser minnow, poppers.

Sorry it's expensive. Start small. All good things take time.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2571 on: Jun 14, 2014, 07:40 PM »
i met  alot  of  flyfisherman  some  famous  some  not   99 %  were  great people  ....left kreh  was  one  of  the  rudest   sportsman i  ever  seen .... i  mention  this   ever  time  i  see  him  endorcing a  product
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2572 on: Jun 15, 2014, 02:42 AM »
He's a crusty sort for sure Trapper. But his casting style is something to learn from. Joan is perfection in motion. An artist painting with a fly on a line. Lefty is somewhat unconventional.

Point is, both can toss a fly and so can you and I. Use the cast you have with a basic understanding of what's going on.

I'll be tossing some this morning as a matter of fact.  ;D

One thing about my style of casting, not many biting insects can get near me .

Rg

perch-hound

« Reply #2573 on: Jun 15, 2014, 07:13 AM »

One thing about my style of casting, not many biting insects can get near me .

Rg
   :rotflol:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2574 on: Jun 15, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Just set up the Photobucket app in my iPad.

First picture.....crappie on the fly  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

I love this thing!
Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2575 on: Jun 15, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Nice crappie RG..
Happy Fathers Day....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2576 on: Jun 15, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Thanks Dom. Right back at you!

Rg

Bigwitt1171

« Reply #2577 on: Jun 15, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Thanks RG for tips on YouTube. There are some good videos on there. I'm going to try and do some casting practice and head out to a lake and see if I can catch some pan fish off shore. I guess I just don't understand how there can  be such a gap in price between different reels and rods, 800 bucks for a rod kinda shocked me.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2578 on: Jun 15, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Don't know where you live, but I'd be happy to coach. FYI, I don't fish with $800 rods. My favorite fly rod is a Pfleuger President I bought for $19 on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods 20 years ago.

My best combo runs maybe $400 and it's way more than I need to fish.

Don't get caught up in a bunch of hype. Unless you're fishing saly water, a reel holds line and a rod delivers the line and fly to the area you want it to land. That's about it. It's 98% presentation and 2% equipment.

Rg

Bigwitt1171

« Reply #2579 on: Jun 15, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Thanks that is very kind of you. I am in Ballston Spa, anyone know the best place to find fly fishing gear in the area?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.