FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560841 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2595 on: Jun 23, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Sunday I set up a rod and reel and line to take out. It was an older Lamiglas blank I'd built Many years back. I didn't really remember what weight it was as I neglected to label it .

Anyway, it cast like an overcooked spaghetti noodle. It was totally unruly and out of control. The best I could do was change to a  stout furled leader, 3x tippit and a pretty heavy Clouser. The line was a DT5F. I'd guess the rod needed a WF7F or better.

Point is, all the technique and experience in the world won't overcome a really bad setup. One would think id know better and test cast a setup in the yard before heading to the stream.

Really sorry about the typos. I'm still getting used to the spell check on the iPad. I think I corrected them all.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2596 on: Jun 23, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Sunday I set up a rod and reel and line to take out. It was an older Lamiglas blank I'd built Many years back. I didn't really remember what weight it was as I neglected to label it .

Anyway, it cast like an overcooked spaghetti noodle. It was totally unruly and out of control. The best I could do was change to a  stout furled leader, 3x tippit and a pretty heavy Clouser. The line was a DT5F. I'd guess the rod needed a WF7F or better.

Point is, all the technique and experience in the world won't overcome a really bad setup. One would think id know better and test cast a setup in the yard before heading to the stream.

Really sorry about the typos. I'm still getting used to the spell check on the iPad. I think I corrected them all.
Rg

Rg...

You're absolutely spot on with that. I took my new TFO 9' 6wt Signature II rod out to the yard for a casting session and learned REAL quick that it's a slower action than most of the rods I own... it's faster than my old Fenwick 8' 6wt glass rod but not as fast as my 9' 4wt St. Croix. A little time spent out in the yard is very beneficial for anyone with a new rod they're planning to fish with. I think the new TFO rod will be a great rod... I just need to remember it's a moderate, and not a "fast" action while I'm using it, but I'm sure I'll readily adapt to the situation when the time comes.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2597 on: Jun 26, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I really tend to like slower action rods for a lot of reasons.

First, I cast like a Whirling Dervish attempting to rid himself of a swarm of angry white faced hornets.

Second, I own several ( perhaps many) older glass and tube glass rods.

Third, they're very forgiving to the aforementioned  casting technique.

Lastly, it slows me down. They give me time to enjoy the stream and all it's ambiance. With fast rods I fish faster.....period! I'd rather make 20 casts into a head or tailwater and find every fish there than rush down the stream. More time to consider presentation and variations thereof. More time to dig deep into the fly collection and tie on something I've been meaning to try. More time.

The next time you're standing at a pool, trying to figure out what they want and thinking you should move.....stay, relax and take a deep breath or two. SLOW DOWN!

Smell the flowers. Pick some berries. Watch that doe and her fawns wade to the cornfield. See how long you can keep still as the carp swim up to you. Follow the mink as it makes it's way in and out of the stream along the bank. Check out the hatch floating by your feet.

You might just learn what fly fishing is all about.

Geez! I'm waxing fly fishing  ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #2598 on: Jun 26, 2014, 03:31 PM »
All words of wisdom Bob!! I use to be the guy to swing the fly 3 times...hurry up to beat the other guy to the next hole. Now, I just let Jr. get ahead and sit back and watch!! ;) Good times!!

Kinda like the Baby bull and Papa bull sitting on a hill looking over a field of...well, You guys probably know that story!!! ;D

As long as You don't tell us Your waxing Your leg hairs Bob....Life is GOOD!!! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

KP-- 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2599 on: Jun 26, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Tears in my eyes Larry. That was a good one. On the other hand, maybe I could get some cute ......well, never mind.

Old bull and the young bull. A very good friend of mine told me that one some 40 years ago. I never forgot it, but I didn't understand it until I had a few years under my belt.  Now it just makes me smile ;D

Bob

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2600 on: Jun 26, 2014, 06:54 PM »
"old bull, young bull' is the best...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2601 on: Jul 01, 2014, 07:53 PM »
The peacock is looking good..     ;D ;D ;D ;D Lots of tail feathers this year..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2602 on: Jul 02, 2014, 12:20 AM »
Is that actually a bird you've raised or is it just one you took a pic of?

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2603 on: Jul 02, 2014, 01:32 AM »
Looking really good!

That peacock is responsible for a lot of flies in my collection. Tell Mom thanks Dom.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2604 on: Jul 02, 2014, 06:05 AM »
Is that actually a bird you've raised  ?WK

Its my moms...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2605 on: Jul 02, 2014, 10:00 AM »

Its my moms...

Cool! Now she just needs to start raising roosters, pheasants, rabbits, etc.  ;D

WK

KingPerch

« Reply #2606 on: Jul 02, 2014, 12:25 PM »
The peacock is looking good..     ;D ;D ;D ;D Lots of tail feathers this year..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Those blue breast feathers would make a few nice patterns for tying..... :whistling: just saying. any chance they'll all fall off... ;D Great looking bird though!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2607 on: Jul 02, 2014, 12:56 PM »
One of my buds from " The Grumpy Old Mens Breakfast Club" just gave me a pile of Atlantic Salmon Journals dating back to 1959. Awesome reading with tons of classic patterns. Too cool to see the pics of the guys in cuffed wool pants, plaid shirts, ties and fedoras.

Glass was state of the art.

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2608 on: Jul 02, 2014, 02:38 PM »
One of my buds from " The Grumpy Old Mens Breakfast Club" just gave me a pile of Atlantic Salmon Journals dating back to 1959. Awesome reading with tons of classic patterns. Too cool to see the pics of the guys in cuffed wool pants, plaid shirts, ties and fedoras.

Glass was state of the art.

Rg

Rg,

Very much so, but I'll bet there were some Ol' boys back then that were pretty reluctant to give up their custom Bamboo rods.  ;)

WK

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2609 on: Jul 02, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Cool! Now she just needs to start raising roosters, pheasants, rabbits, etc.  ;DWK

My mom was/is know as the bird lady on the hill.... ;D
That building in the back ground use to house 100's of exotic parrots...  And theres a few left...
When my brother and I were young we had all kinds of pheasants, quail and these big birds called Reahs......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.