FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 562117 times)

Bartman44

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2610 on: Jul 03, 2014, 12:02 PM »
The peacock is looking good..     ;D ;D ;D ;D Lots of tail feathers this year..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I could tie 4 million Zug Bugs with that.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2611 on: Jul 03, 2014, 05:19 PM »
I could tie 4 million Zug Bugs with that.

I will send you a PM and get your address...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2612 on: Jul 09, 2014, 07:37 AM »
KP  i never heard  this  story  of  the  old  bull and  young bull!  please  tell  us  all about it  :whistling:

fishing  slower  adds  to the  enjoyment  ...in fact  take that breath  slow down and  LOOK  before  you even take your first cast ....  5 minutes of watching can add alot of  fish to the days total!

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2613 on: Jul 09, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I hear you there Trapper. I spent a day exploring my backyard creek on my toon. Even though I've fished it for many years, it changes all the time. Last spring's flooding really moved holes around and scoured out some new pools.  There's new piles of trees etc and many new hiding places for hungry small mouth. I'll be walking into one of thiose new pools this afternoon.

Gotta meet my Daughter for lunch first.  ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #2614 on: Jul 09, 2014, 01:09 PM »
KP  i never heard  this  story  of  the  old  bull and  young bull!  please  tell  us  all about it  :whistling:

fishing  slower  adds  to the  enjoyment  ...in fact  take that breath  slow down and  LOOK  before  you even take your first cast ....  5 minutes of watching can add alot of  fish to the days total!

;D LOL!! That story was made back when you were knee high to a grasshopper!! :rotflol: :rotflol: For those who haven't heard the story...GOOGLE!!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2615 on: Jul 09, 2014, 02:40 PM »
;D LOL!! That story was made back when you were knee high to a grasshopper!! :rotflol: :rotflol: For those who haven't heard the story...GOOGLE!!! ;)
YOU KNOW I HEARD THE STORY,and it is a good one,PLEASE LISTEN
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2616 on: Jul 09, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Well....this is the way I heard it from a salty old carpenter who taught me more than I deserved. (Minor alterations to meet "G" rating accepted)

The old bull and the young bull were up on the hill looking down at the herd of cows.

The young bull said to the old bull " Hey, let's run down there and date a couple of those cows."

The old bull said, " How about we walk down there and date them all!"

As I said, minor alterations accepted ;)

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

O

« Reply #2617 on: Jul 09, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Hi Old Farts,  
I've been looking for a fly rod for a trip to Canada to fish for Brook Trout.   I've got 2 rods now, a beginners 5 weight and a 8 weight that I made at a class several years ago.  
The outfitter suggests a 6 weight rod, most of the rods I've seen online are 3 pieces, not the 2 piece rods like I currently have.   With my regular casting or spinning rods, I've always felt the less sections the better (1 is best).  I'm assuming that holds true with fly rods as well.  Am I correct in this or are 3 or 4 sections the norm and acceptable.  
I'm planning to head down to the Cortland factory store this week, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Otto

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2618 on: Jul 10, 2014, 03:39 AM »
I have 2,3 &4 PC. Rods in my collection. Shorter rods, 7' or less are ok in 2 pcs. I have a couple of 2 PC rods in the 8-9' size and they can be difficult to transport. Action wise, I would say that unless you are a world class fly casting champion, you probably won't notice the difference if you buy a decent quality rod.

Cortland makes ok rods. I would suggest you look into Temple Fork Outfitters rods as well. They're a tremendous value in a very good quality rod.

Have fun on your trip. Where are you headed?

Rg

O

« Reply #2619 on: Jul 10, 2014, 08:07 AM »
RG,
Thanks for your reply - I am nowhere near a world class caster but I have some experience.   We are going to Square Tail Lodge, north of Chibigamou, Quebec. 

http://www.squaretaillodge.com/

It is on the Broadback River in Quebec, and also on Lake Toulis, which offer walleye and pike fishing too.  We plan to spend 1/2 our time on trout, and 1/2  our time on walleyes and pike, but we'll adjust to the conditions as necessary.   Supposedly, the record Quebec Brook Trout came out of there.
Thanks for the tips.

Tony

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2620 on: Jul 10, 2014, 11:10 AM »

Cortland makes ok rods. I would suggest you look into Temple Fork Outfitters rods as well. They're a tremendous value in a very good quality rod.

Have fun on your trip. Where are you headed?

Rg

Rg is spot on with that. I just purchased a TFO Signature II 9' 6wt and it's a very nice rod for the price, $120.00 and they come with a nice rod bag. Check them out here...

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/signature.html#.U766ylJOXIU

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2621 on: Jul 10, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I've been in that area a number of times. Great fishing up there.

Don't forget to tie up a chicken or two on some hooks and try for pike on the fly.  ;D  an old friend taut me to tie pike flies. He always said, " When you think you've tied on too much, tie on a few more."

Seriously, pike on the fly are a hoot and a half. Good luck and have fun!

Rg

O

« Reply #2622 on: Jul 10, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Wanna, I read your post on here last night about that rod, but when I went to the Cabelas website to order it I saw this one on sale:    Only $80 and it should serve me well.  I put the $40 savings into a reel and spare spool to replace the graphite one I have already.

RG - I have not been as far north as Chibigomou and am really looking forward to the ride.  I've been to Wetetnagami nearer to Senneterre several times, excellent walleye and pike fishing and nice cabins, very remote..... Also been to Lac Poitrincourt north of Roberval, again excellent walleye and pike.  The addition of Brook Trout will be fun and something I don't often do.  

I'll be sure to take pictures and post a thread on my return in mid-August.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2623 on: Jul 10, 2014, 08:46 PM »
O,

It's not about any of us trying to talk you into anything...it's more about offering advice so that you ultimately decide what's best for YOU! I hope you have a great trip up north and make sure you post pics. when you get home!  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2624 on: Jul 11, 2014, 01:52 AM »
Sorry, I had to remove your link. Sometimes links to catalog pictures won't work.

I've fished Matching Manitou out of Senneterre a few times. Outstanding walleye lakes up there. As I recall it was around 10 you're from Rochester. But good roads for the most part. Not like the road to Clova. 6 hours of white knuckles. I'm sure the rod will be just fine. Best part is, if you don't like it Cabelas will take it back ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.