FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560676 times)

rp dog

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2850 on: May 17, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Your Dad didn't intend for that Rod to sit in the safe.....use it!

J Stockard is a quality company. You won't have any problems with them.

Rg
Your rite Rg just haven't been able to force myself to use it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2851 on: May 17, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Yes the TFO
I do have one Sage that was my dad's but never used that one it's in my gun safe. Haven't dealt with J Stockard before but not concerned about that. Probably won't be able to use it until fall any way. Going to spend some more of the kid's inheritence money !!!!!

Thanks
Rp
I have 2 of my pops poles on the wall as well .....I feel they do get used ,everytime I look at them and her him laugh and scream fish on  ......RIP  pop ....were still partners   
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2852 on: May 17, 2015, 02:00 PM »
A good friend of mine gave me his Grand dad's bamboo salmon Rod. I won't go into the reasons why.

I asked him if I should use it and he said," Gramps didn't have any wall flowers. He'd be a lot happier if it was catching fish." I'm gonna try it on carp ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rp dog

« Reply #2853 on: May 17, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Kind of how i feel to trapper just can't make myself use it. I know he would be mad at me for letting it set but I don't know why just can't.

trapper2000

« Reply #2854 on: May 18, 2015, 04:55 AM »
RP I don't think they are just setting ,I think they are time machines that take us back ......my pop has been fishing on the other ide now for 20 years ....may 6th ,and when I take that rod down or  get his old jacket out ....i'm 15 again and were trout fishing or setting traps ...I think those rods get used in a whole different way now ,and maybe ,used just as they were always intented..............RP enjoy the memorys and hold on that rod , keep it safe, that's the job you were left :thumbup_smilie:

the depth of feeling and respect  compels us to remember and keep a part of that persons life alive ,often something that we see that person used and loved ........good job RP

ps I don't think our dads would ever get mad at us ....

rp dog

« Reply #2855 on: May 18, 2015, 07:49 AM »
Could not have said it better myself when I'm gone maybe my son will see fit to use it. He and Granpa were pretty close.

rp dog

« Reply #2856 on: May 18, 2015, 07:59 AM »
O T My son came over sunday morning and called in three toms for me. After they left he asked me why I didn't shoot. He already knew it wasn't about me shooting a turkey. Its the time we got share together.
Rp

trapper2000

« Reply #2857 on: May 18, 2015, 12:31 PM »
O T My son came over sunday morning and called in three toms for me. After they left he asked me why I didn't shoot. He already knew it wasn't about me shooting a turkey. Its the time we got share together.
Rp

gee  just like that  flyrod ...memorys   :thumbup_smilie:

besides  i'm a  sentimental old fart

choo choo

« Reply #2858 on: May 18, 2015, 01:53 PM »
I usually just use clear fingernail polish......seems to work quite well
I used the clear nail polish by Sally Hansen..."Hard as Nails" $1.49 at Kinney Drugs.(thanks Wannaketchum) (I used about 25 cents worth of clear polish.Same finger nail polish company we use to customize our steelhead beads. It went on really easy...did not have any dripping, clumping or anything. It dries real fast so you can do a bunch of coats in no time at all.

I wrapped the rod in my lap, putting the thread spool in a coffee mug on the floor then ran the thread through a heavy book, and applied pressure with my left big toe to the book for proper tension. Applied the nail polish free hand also holding, spinning the rod with my left hand and using my right hand to do the polish .

Now I need to know what I can use to put his name on the rod from hardware store, Wal-Mart etc. Any suggestions?
I'm fishing my way through life .

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2859 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57 PM »
I used the clear nail polish by Sally Hansen..."Hard as Nails" $1.49 at Kinney Drugs.(thanks Wannaketchum) (I used about 25 cents worth of clear polish.Same finger nail polish company we use to customize our steelhead beads. It went on really easy...did not have any dripping, clumping or anything. It dries real fast so you can do a bunch of coats in no time at all.

I wrapped the rod in my lap, putting the thread spool in a coffee mug on the floor then ran the thread through a heavy book, and applied pressure with my left big toe to the book for proper tension. Applied the nail polish free hand also holding, spinning the rod with my left hand and using my right hand to do the polish .

Now I need to know what I can use to put his name on the rod from hardware store, Wal-Mart etc. Any suggestions?

Well...

I don't build rods so I was just kinda throwin' it out there as a "cheap" suggestion. Let us know how it holds up for ya...

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2860 on: May 19, 2015, 03:30 AM »
Craft stores like Michaels sell inexpensive calligraphy pens. Use Testors model paint. Personally, I don't sign or write on rods. I stink at it. I write so bad no one could read it anyway.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

choo choo

« Reply #2861 on: May 19, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Craft stores like Michaels sell inexpensive calligraphy pens. Use Testors model paint. Personally, I don't sign or write on rods. I stink at it. I write so bad no one could read it anyway.

Rg
Thanks rg.... I will pick one of those pens up. The pen will have lot's of other uses besides putting names on rods...thanks again.

(BTW...way back in the  90's when I built a few rods, they made a rub off stencil kit for signing rods...Came out perfect, and you just had to clear coat over it for a lifetime finish. If you are going to build a bunch more rods,(or do the ones you have already built) it might come in handy for you. Very easy, very Legible and neat.
I even stenciled the rod tip sections with rod blank model and line weight.

Well...

I don't build rods so I was just kinda throwin' it out there as a "cheap" suggestion. Let us know how it holds up for ya...

WK
Will definitely let ya's know. That Sally Hansen "hard as nails" nail polish is amazing on steelhead beads.  Underwater, bouncing off rocks, and chewed on by steelhead, and the finish stays on perfect. So I'm guessing there will be no issues for sealing  rod thread wraps. It comes with it's own in bottle applicator brush.
I do remember that it flows on and dries much better on dry days...not humid rainy days.

Thanks again guy's.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2862 on: May 19, 2015, 08:40 AM »
I'll have to look into that stencil thing. I hate not marking my rods, but I'm embarrassed by anything I try to write.

Thanks,
 Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2863 on: May 19, 2015, 09:44 AM »
what I  have  done  is  have  the  name printed   in  gold  on a  paper   glue  to  rod then epoxy  over the  top ....anything else  will wear off

choo choo

« Reply #2864 on: May 19, 2015, 04:01 PM »
what I  have  done  is  have  the  name printed   in  gold  on a  paper   glue  to  rod then epoxy  over the  top ....anything else  will wear off
That sounds good  trap....the stencil kits work very well, I stenciled rods back to 1992,  and 24 years later are still perfect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.