FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560584 times)

shark

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2895 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Some nasty weather on the wAy home from Blue Heron tonight. lots of water in the roads

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2896 on: Jun 06, 2015, 02:33 AM »
You must have driven through the worst of it . It looked pretty violent to the south of us.

Usgs has the creek up a foot since yesterday. :-\
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2897 on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:08 AM »
grandchildren up from FL so it was a cook out and pass out gift time, he's in a wedding today then I hope to tack him down to make a aussalt on some rock bass
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2898 on: Jun 06, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I acquired an Orchard Industries Actionrod Model 1576 fly rod today at a yard sale. I have found a little info on Orchard Ind. but can't find anything specific about the 1576. Can anybody give me any info about this rod, line wt., etc. ? Thanks.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2899 on: Jun 06, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Would that be an Orchard Industries Actionglas?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a 7 1/2' and should be rated for an HDH, HDG or D line.

HDH = DT 6 F
HDG = WF 6 F
D would be a level line

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2900 on: Jun 06, 2015, 02:45 PM »
old farts love yard sales ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2901 on: Jun 06, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Mine is gonna be next weekend ....lots of fishing stuff going on the block ;D

Rg

Gump

« Reply #2902 on: Jun 07, 2015, 07:45 AM »
My job doesn't afford me much time to fish the last couple months but I have been able to land a trout here and there on some of my vintage glass, as well as acquire a couple new pieces for the collection.  The recent prize was this fiberglass fly rod I found on a smaller auction site that I took a stab at and won.  The rod was posted with vague information and only a couple poor pictures.  The bottom line is that this rod turned out to be a gem and part of fly rod history.  It appears to be about an # 7-8 wt. hand built by Ken Trisler.  Upon my research, turns out he was one of the founders of Fenwick rods and the person responsible for the characteristic 'diamond braid' wrapping on the Feralite models.  He built this rod in his time with Milwakee Inc., prior to his Fenwick days.  On top of being a rareish rod, it is in pristine condition and aside from a little soot on the cork, I can't see any wear on it.  Probably wont fish this one....

Oh yeah, picked up this new with original packaging Bronson click pawl too....

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

trapper2000

« Reply #2903 on: Jun 07, 2015, 08:16 AM »
nice  find!!!!!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2904 on: Jun 07, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Would that be an Orchard Industries Actionglas?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a 7 1/2' and should be rated for an HDH, HDG or D line.

Rg
Thanks. It says, "HDH D" . Not to sound stupid,  does that mean either?
It also came with a True Temper 85A reel loaded with old mono and a snap swivel. I need to find a different one for it.  ;D
Wish I was closer for your yardsale...

Very nice, Gump!
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2905 on: Jun 07, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Yeah it means either. Try it with a DT-6F and see how it loads.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2906 on: Jun 07, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Thanks, Bob. I will. It seems to have a fairly stiff backbone.  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2907 on: Jun 07, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Sweet rod Gump..     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2908 on: Jun 15, 2015, 08:45 AM »
A friend of ours invited us to his camp on Lake Bomoseen yesterday evening for a cookout, so I brought along the "new" Actionrod and some small poppers. After dinner, when the lake settled down, I tried a little casting off the end of his dock.

I mistakenly brought a reel spooled with wf 6 floating line instead of the level line I wanted to bring, but I strung it up anyways. That definitely isn't the right line for the rod. I had a really hard time getting the rod to load. It seemed as though the line just wasn't heavy enough.

I struggled through none the less. I fooled two gills and three small largemouths (12" was the lunker) into eating a popper. It was fun and I left with a smile.  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2909 on: Jun 15, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Not too surprising really. I've never compared the actual physical weight of a modern line to silk or other vintage fly lines. I'd imagine they weighed more.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.