FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560796 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2910 on: Jun 19, 2015, 06:13 AM »
A friend of mine.....a very good friend of mine....gifted me with this beautiful Orvis Fullflex 8 1/2' HDF/7wt. 4 PC. Fly rod. It's never seen the water.

Yesterday I was watching the carp feeding on mulberries as they fell into the water. So I decided to rig this rod and tie up some mulberry flies to play with. I put one of my South Bend Finalist 1133 reels on it with a Cortland Sylk WF7F line and one of my 60" indicator furled leaders. Testing it in the back yard it casts like a dream.

Huge cold front today with a lot of cold wind right now, but maybe a little later ;D
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2911 on: Jun 19, 2015, 11:14 AM »
A friend of mine.....a very good friend of mine....gifted me with this beautiful Orvis Fullflex 8 1/2' HDF/7wt. 4 PC. Fly rod. It's never seen the water.

Nice... when do you suppose it was made??

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2912 on: Jun 19, 2015, 02:46 PM »
1986. The blank is an Orvis Blank not a Phillipson as were the earlier Full Flex rods.

It's pretty sweet.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Gump

« Reply #2913 on: Jun 19, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Looks like a great rod RG ! 

Would like to see some pics of the 'mulberry' hatch if you get some.  That fly looks spot on.  nice pattern.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2914 on: Jun 19, 2015, 11:15 PM »
I swear RG, if you saw carp feeding on pine cones, the next day you'd have a fly to throw at them!  ;D ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2915 on: Jun 20, 2015, 02:43 AM »
Idle hands are the devil's workshop.  ;D

I did a favor for a friend yesterday and replaced a fan motor for a return air system at his restaurant. So, I didn't get to try the mulberries till the afternoon. The carp were way past breakfast time so no luck there. I did find a flaw with the fly though. It doesn't sink at all. So I'm gonna add some lead to the recipe. Shoul have dropped one in some water to test I guess :-\

This morning I'm gonna kill a few bass ;D

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2916 on: Jun 20, 2015, 10:25 AM »
my local bass paid ...then after number 3 I noticed gills sucking caddis flys off the surface ...bass season  officially closed  and bluegill season opened ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2917 on: Jun 20, 2015, 10:32 AM »

I did pretty much the same thing Trapper. Got 3 nice smallmouth for a friend and went after the gills and perch. Couldn't count the gills I caught along with a few dozen rock bass and these 4 really nice perch.

Fun morning ;D

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2918 on: Jun 20, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Nice going Trap & Rg.  What was the fly of choice Bob?  Wait, wait, don't tell me - Bob's Foam Popper!! ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #2919 on: Jun 20, 2015, 11:29 AM »
crease fly for bass and a stimulator for the gills then a foam spider

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2920 on: Jun 20, 2015, 12:18 PM »
#6 Red Wiggler for me :rotflol:

I did tie the jig though.

Rg

KingPerch

« Reply #2921 on: Jun 21, 2015, 07:50 AM »
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE OL FART FATHERS! 8) ;D

Nice catch Bob! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2922 on: Jun 21, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Back atcha bud!

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2923 on: Jul 10, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I have  to  share  this .....means  the  world  to  me.... I  just  got  another  e  mail telling  me    that  RG and  I  had  resparked a  flyfishing interest , when  I  started  this  tread  I  had  no idea   it  would  touch  so many  sportsman  and   not  just  bring a  interest to  new  flyfisherman  but   to  rekindle    the  interest   that  people  had  forgotten ......i'm really  not  the  greatest  fly  tyier  or  fisherman  .... I just  never  quit and  I have  always  said  the  most important thing as  sportsman we  can  do  weathe  fishing hunting or trapping  is to  pass  the  love  for our sport on .....thank  you  for  letting  us  know to  some  point  we  did that .......oh and  I lied .....I really am a great  fly  tyier  and fly fisherman  .........but  so  are  you ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2924 on: Jul 10, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Well, you brought me back to it too Trapper. I fly fished, tied and built rods for many years until a basement flood took just about everything. If you're a tier of builder, you know the stuff you accumulate. Imagine all of it going in one event. Disheartening to say the least.

I put it aside for many years till I bumped into you on this site. I guess we both have Scott to thank for that. Anyway, you reignited that spark and I'm ever greatful.

You started this thread in the best of spirits. To help others and share experiences.

I say, well done old man!

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.