FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560478 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2940 on: Jul 18, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Stick to your story! ;D

Never handled one myself. Is it glass?

I'm sidelined with tendinitis in my right shoulder. My Doc wanted to know what kind of repetitive motion might have caused a flare up. I laughed  and he said, " Oh yeah....fly fishing."  Couldn't raise my arm to shoulder height yesterday. Somewhat better today.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2941 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Stick to your story! ;D

Never handled one myself. Is it glass?

I'm sidelined with tendinitis in my right shoulder. My Doc wanted to know what kind of repetitive motion might have caused a flare up. I laughed  and he said, " Oh yeah....fly fishing."  Couldn't raise my arm to shoulder height yesterday. Somewhat better today.

Rg

No Rg... it's a graphite rod. I placed the absolute min bid on it and figured if I get it I do and if I don't, oh well. Hope things get better with your shoulder, at least it's not your rotator cuff. I damaged mine years ago from the repetitive type of work I did and had to go through a bunch of PT. When it was at it's worse, I couldn't even pick a pencil off a table unless I held my arm tight to my side and lifted from the elbow only. I know guys who had to go under the knife with theirs so I guess I got lucky and only needed to do PT and go on light duty for awhile.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rp dog

« Reply #2942 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Rg all I can say is WOW .
What a beautiful fly rod without doubt the finest in my arsenal.
Many thanks
Rp

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2943 on: Jul 19, 2015, 02:42 AM »
You're welcome RP. Remember, it's just a fish pole......enjoy it!

Some times you get lucky on eBay. I got my Fenwick FenGlas 6 wt .using Auction Sniper. They were averaging $250 in new condition. Mine was half that and never had a reel on it.

Shoulder feels better this morning. No pain last night. It woke me up the night before. They'll have to hog tie me to get me under the knife. Seen too many of those operations botched, no effect or worse. I spent some time as a facility director at a big tennis club. I've seen people go through every kind of joint operation there is. There was a PT clinic in the building.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #2944 on: Jul 19, 2015, 08:22 AM »
I had the same shoulder problem and worked it out with exercise. NO KNIFE! good luck with it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2945 on: Jul 19, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Well I went to the creek this morning.....pure mud. So I'm sitting here with a slush bag on my shoulder, the air conditioning is on, there's a cold one in a frosty mug by my side and the Yankees are playing.

Could be worse.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2946 on: Jul 19, 2015, 08:29 PM »
rest it for a few days  RG ....  we got hit but  the river is  clean and super low I went down but  the bugs were  really really hungry 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2947 on: Jul 20, 2015, 02:36 AM »
Bugs have been crazy this year. I have to spray down before o go run in the morning. At least the bats are well fed.

I'm resting it Trapper. Been working on my rod lathe. Changed the controls around and made it 2' longer so I can do 10' rods a lot easier. A friend just ordered a 5 wt from me so I'll be building again in a few days. The basement shop stays nice and cool ;D

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2948 on: Jul 20, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Bugs have been crazy this year. I have to spray down before o go run in the morning. At least the bats are well fed.

I'm resting it Trapper. Been working on my rod lathe. Changed the controls around and made it 2' longer so I can do 10' rods a lot easier. A friend just ordered a 5 wt from me so I'll be building again in a few days. The basement shop stays nice and cool ;D

Rg

What few bats there are left. We don't have them around here anywhere near what we used to.

Rg... have you ever checked out this guy's site? He has some nice looking glass blanks.

http://www.mtnbrookrods.com/fiberglassinfo.html

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2949 on: Jul 20, 2015, 12:34 PM »
They look good from the pictures.  I'd have to handle one. Wonder where he's buying them? He doesn't say they're US made.

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2950 on: Jul 20, 2015, 08:58 PM »
They look good from the pictures.  I'd have to handle one. Wonder where he's buying them? He doesn't say they're US made.

Rg

Well... I kinda wondered that myself. But, he's a Pennsy boy with his roots planted deep according to his write-up. I hope he still uses materials that are home grown... aside from Bamboo obviously. I'm sure an email to him would answer that.

WK

Gump

« Reply #2951 on: Jul 20, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Rg... have you ever checked out this guy's site? He has some nice looking glass blanks.

http://www.mtnbrookrods.com/fiberglassinfo.html

I love the little 'Native' blank I bought from him.  It's the 6' 6" 2/3 wt.  More of a #2 in my opinion and nice and slow....a 10" fish will sometimes bend you to the cork !  I've landed several 14-16" trout on it and it is a blast.  As far as the origin of the blanks, at that price I would bet money CHINA.  A nice rolled American glass blank will set you back 100.00-200.00 or so unless you find some vintage ones on e-bay....then maybe 70-100.00.  Big resurgence in glass right now.   Many manufacturers are now including glass in their line-ups (Orvis, Reddington, etc.)

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2952 on: Jul 20, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I love the little 'Native' blank I bought from him.  It's the 6' 6" 2/3 wt.  More of a #2 in my opinion and nice and slow....a 10" fish will sometimes bend you to the cork !  I've landed several 14-16" trout on it and it is a blast.

By God and Sonny Jesus Gump!... Now I remember where I've seen info on him before!! This guy's only about an hour west of me so I may just take a ride out and visit him sometime. I would love to have a classic "old style" rod built for the little creeks!! I've been considering purchasing a Redington "Butter Stick" for some time now...

WK

Gump

« Reply #2953 on: Jul 20, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Yeah I would check him out.  Nice guy when I spoke to him over the phone.

If you want an American blank and custom glass rod and a more serious blank I have a friend who builds rods on a custom 7'4" #2wt. taper by James Green....won't find another #2 in that length in glass.  He also offers other sizes and weights in other Green blanks as well as McFarlands and Steffens.   He goes by 'Deep Bend Rodworks' on Facebook.  For what you will pay for a butterstick, I would look into one of these custom builders.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2954 on: Jul 21, 2015, 03:59 PM »
Yeah I would check him out.  Nice guy when I spoke to him over the phone.

If you want an American blank and custom glass rod and a more serious blank I have a friend who builds rods on a custom 7'4" #2wt. taper by James Green....won't find another #2 in that length in glass.  He also offers other sizes and weights in other Green blanks as well as McFarlands and Steffens.   He goes by 'Deep Bend Rodworks' on Facebook.  For what you will pay for a butterstick, I would look into one of these custom builders.

Thanks Gump, I may just do that sometime.

I'm only about a half hour or so from Don Lesh's custom shop and I've walked or driven by his place many times over the years while fishing but I never stop because all I'd be able to do is drool... I can't afford one of his rods. Well, I probably could but... I could buy a lot of other toys with the same $$$  ;D

http://leshrods.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.