FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561368 times)

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3000 on: Aug 10, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Went 4 for 6 this morning. They liked the corn fly. The 2 I broke off were unstoppable . Two others I had to chase a pretty long ways. They're hot right now.

Rg

"Corn Fly"???

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3001 on: Aug 10, 2015, 12:34 PM »

;D
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3002 on: Aug 10, 2015, 12:56 PM »
very cool, RG!

Gump

« Reply #3003 on: Aug 10, 2015, 12:59 PM »
I remember running thread through a phone book with the spool rolling around on my bench. I had a cardboard box for a rod rack

You mean there are other ways of doing it?   ;D

Very cool !  In my travels for work I have been stopping by some local streams and have been seeing the carp tailing and working the bottom for I presume nymphs and crayfish.  Just have had no time to try... :(

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3004 on: Aug 10, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Hmmmm... some "corn yellow" glo bug yarn might be good. You could even dip that in the juice from the can of corn used for chum.  ;D

WK

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3005 on: Aug 10, 2015, 02:17 PM »
What reel have you been using Rg??

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3006 on: Aug 10, 2015, 03:29 PM »
You mean there are other ways of doing it?   ;D

Very cool !  In my travels for work I have been stopping by some local streams and have been seeing the carp tailing and working the bottom for I presume nymphs and crayfish.  Just have had no time to try... :(

Not necessarily. They will vacuum the bottom for vegetation and snails. But I suggest you toss a small handful of chick peas or corn or rabbit food in the area and see what they do. If they swarm it, you'll know what they're after. If not then things might just be as you think.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3007 on: Aug 10, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Hmmmm... some "corn yellow" glo bug yarn might be good. You could even dip that in the juice from the can of corn used for chum.  ;D

WK

Now that's serious cheating :whistling:

The little clouser heads with the detached foam kernel are killers. They land hook up because of the lead eye position and the little foam kernel. Twitch them across the bottom and hang on.

I've been using a 4/5 Okuma SLV on the little 7 wt., it seems to balance nicely. The line and leader setup is more important. I have to roll cast most of the time. The WF7F Cortland Sylk line has been terrific. I did go to a straight 2x leader. Knots just don't hold up well against these brutes.

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3008 on: Aug 10, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Now that's serious cheating :whistling:

The little clouser heads with the detached foam kernel are killers. They land hook up because of the lead eye position and the little foam kernel. Twitch them across the bottom and hang on.

I've been using a 4/5 Okuma SLV on the little 7 wt., it seems to balance nicely. The line and leader setup is more important. I have to roll cast most of the time. The WF7F Cortland Sylk line has been terrific. I did go to a straight 2x leader. Knots just don't hold up well against these brutes.

Rg

OK Rg,

So the Bass tourney boys must be cheating when they dip their baits in "smelly jelly" etc., LOL!! How do you secure the foam chunk (faux kernel) to the short piece of mono you have attached to the hook?

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3009 on: Aug 11, 2015, 03:10 AM »
The mono is 10 lb tippet material. Maxima I think. I tie a double overhand knot in the end, poke a hole through the foam kernel with a small needle, slide the mono through with the knot on top and put a small dab of Locktite super glue on the knot. Then pull the knot just in to the foam and let it set a few minutes. They usually come off during he fight, but it only takes a few minutes to make a dozen.

Notice that the mono is long enough to get the kernel beyond the hook gape. Very important for a good hookup. It's like a mini hair rig. Always gets them in the lip. Don't be afraid to set the hook on a bite ;D

Also notice that the hook is an N-Curve hook. Also very important so the hook rides up off the bottom.

I've given this some thought and done a bit of experimentation. It's a silly looking fly, but it's pretty fine tuned.

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3010 on: Aug 11, 2015, 04:09 PM »
The mono is 10 lb tippet material. Maxima I think. I tie a double overhand knot in the end, poke a hole through the foam kernel with a small needle, slide the mono through with the knot on top and put a small dab of Locktite super glue on the knot. Then pull the knot just in to the foam and let it set a few minutes. They usually come off during he fight, but it only takes a few minutes to make a dozen.

Notice that the mono is long enough to get the kernel beyond the hook gape. Very important for a good hookup. It's like a mini hair rig. Always gets them in the lip. Don't be afraid to set the hook on a bite ;D

Also notice that the hook is an N-Curve hook. Also very important so the hook rides up off the bottom.

I've given this some thought and done a bit of experimentation. It's a silly looking fly, but it's pretty fine tuned.

Rg

Thanks Rg,

Yea... I didn't figure there was much "rocket science" involved... pretty straightforward. I'm not familiar with the N-curve hook... any suggestions on a sub or is that pretty much what fits the bill? Also... you're probably using one of you're furled leaders and a length of 2X as tippet. Are they kinda line shy with regard to length of tippet?

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3011 on: Aug 11, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Nope...just straight 2x tippet. 7-10' They don't like the furled leaders in that shallow water. They spook easy. If they touch the line, they're gone.

I use hooks like the Tiemco 200R. Mine come from EBay.

I use a 3x long #10.

It rained 4.2" in 3 hours here yesterday. The stream is toast for a few days. Guess I'll break out the boat ;D

Rg

Gump

« Reply #3012 on: Aug 12, 2015, 09:05 PM »
After almost 3" of rain the other night, local streams were raging, but my work travels had me in the location of the headwaters of a trib of a trib....tiny water.  It is spring fed and cold enough to hold a wild population of browns and historically brookies (haven't found one yet...think the brownies have extirpated them) year round.  nobody would ever suspect it to have trout when viewed from the road.  Anyways, I found a dandy hiding under a watercress mat that struck the minute my fly hit the water.  I later lost a couple others.  Not bad for a 1/2 lunch break...

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3013 on: Aug 13, 2015, 02:08 AM »
Now that's fun!

Way to keep your eyes open Gump :clapping:

I plan to head down south this morning. Gonna check out a few spots on the Genny.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3014 on: Aug 13, 2015, 07:10 AM »
nice and great you hit it even when high ^5
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.