FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 562077 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3375 on: Apr 12, 2017, 04:29 AM »
Hard to break the habit isn't it?

I was bullhead fishing last night and all the while I was watching bluegills rising thinking " I gotta bring the flyrod over here". Then I was thinking " I wonder what I could get a bullhead to hit on a flyrod?" Wouldn't that be a hoot? A 2 lb whirligig on a flyrod.

Then I started remembering way back when I used to make up bullhead and catfish baits in nylon sein sacks. They worked the nuts for chicken liver baits. Why not worms! At the pond I fish I'd only have to get out 40' or so. I could do that with the 10' 6wt easy and I'm pretty sure they'd stay together with a big loopy cast.

Once you get a flyrod in your hand, it never stops.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #3376 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:40 AM »
I like yoir thinkin'!GO for it and good luck.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3377 on: Apr 12, 2017, 08:31 AM »
i have  had bullheads  take  streamers  and   even  nymphs  when they are  shallow  ....they  are  fun on a  5  wt  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #3378 on: Apr 14, 2017, 01:14 PM »
nice  morning and I love seeing barn swallows  ;D

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3379 on: Apr 14, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Very nice trap.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3380 on: Apr 14, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Good job, Trapper!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Bartman44

« Reply #3381 on: Apr 14, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Nice going. To think that just a few weeks ago we had a pile of  snow and now it looks like your lawn might need a mow. Spring happens fast. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3382 on: Apr 14, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Nice trouts Trapp...... :clapping: :bowdown:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3383 on: Apr 14, 2017, 05:35 PM »
those  are some nice trout trapp......haven't got nice bunch like that in a while for me.
thanks for sharing
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3384 on: Apr 14, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Nice catch Trapper. I tried a local favorite stream for trout this morning. It was about 30% too high to fish. Usually, I don't hit it till after May 1, but, I thought I'd take a shot.

Oh well.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MattyP123

« Reply #3385 on: Apr 14, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Hard to break the habit isn't it
Once you get a flyrod in your hand, it never stops.

Rg

You aren't kidding Bob!
Found this native little guy close to home today hungry for a #20 zebra midge

Had some some mayflies coming off, but nothing to write home about

Nice catch TRap, What were they eating?

trapper2008

« Reply #3386 on: Apr 15, 2017, 10:57 AM »
matty that I caught a  few  more  fish yesterday then what is  pictured ,  I  did  well  early  with a  muddler  weighed   fished  with a short  jerk retrieve  .... a  bead head pheasant tail with  strike indicator.... hares  ear....adams size  12 or  14 I  don't remember  sorry

today I had  something I  never  even heard of  happen!  I stopped  at a  pond that was stocked  with rainbows....I noticed   several cormorants swimming around  I  waded  out  to get closer  to  deep water  and  started   working a   muddler .... after  a  few  small  8inch  bows  I  was relaxed  and  enjoying the  crisp morning ... I felt  the   firm   tug  as I retrieved  and  set the hook  it  felt  like another  small  stocked fish  all of  a  sudden  my  rod  bend  and I  thought   a  big  bass must have  hit that little rainbow ! suddenly a  cormorant pops  up  in  front of  me  with a  fish in it's mouth  and  my  tippet coming  from  it's  mouth  .... I  said  out  loud  are  you ------ me ? I  got  lucky  as  did the cormorant as the  fly   came out  of the fishes  mouth ....  I have  never had  this happen  before  and I  have to  admit I walked to  shore   got  my  thermos  had a  coffee  and  laughed

life is  good  and  full of  surprizes
                                                                                                                                 thanks  God  I  enjoyed  today
                                                                                                                                              trapp

MattyP123

« Reply #3387 on: Apr 15, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Haha, that's wild!

Swampking89

« Reply #3388 on: Apr 15, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Those da#m flying rats!!little killers are all they are!

trapper2000

« Reply #3389 on: Apr 15, 2017, 04:36 PM »
matty I  don't  think i'll  ever  forget  that one  ,i'm still laughing

bart that's  not my lawn that's the  back yard  access  to  my  little  gem of a  trout hole  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.