FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561927 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3405 on: Apr 18, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Thanks Trap.  When I was younger learning to fly fish I went after gills first.  Forgiving little buggers helped me build confidence before hitting those fickle trout.  

I love catching blue gills on the  fly rod ...I  think  gills can be  just as selective as  trout  but the  pure numbers   helps you find  more  aggressive  fish ...one thing I have  learned  the  bigger the bluegill the more selective he usually is today hares  ears  then  olives  on the  surface ...was a lot of  fun ...the  big  plus  today I met a  father son team  fishing before  school or work ....  made  me  smile  

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!  
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3406 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Hit the Genegantslet  today.   A little high but caught and released two nice stockies.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3407 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Any of you NY guys fish the West Branch of the Farmington in CT?  If so by all means shoot me a pm for conditions.  I drive along 21 miles of the trout management area every day and live minutes from Riverton.  The fishing has been good for stockies and decent for holdovers. 

trapper2000

« Reply #3408 on: Apr 21, 2017, 05:58 AM »
low I have driven down rt 8 mass and ct and that river looks  fantastic I'd love to fish that ....pretty area

lowaccord66

« Reply #3409 on: Apr 21, 2017, 10:19 AM »
low I have driven down rt 8 mass and ct and that river looks  fantastic I'd love to fish that ....pretty area

Ya the upper stretch in mass can be tough.  Once you get below colebrook and hogsback res the fun starts.  Im right off of rt8
And am spoiled having so much water to play with...

I need to drift some nymphs today....

Gump

« Reply #3410 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Chasing the natives before the big blowout.  Was really looking forward to maybe some dry fly action this weekend but highly unlikely with the current conditions of the streams

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

oatkasut

« Reply #3411 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:41 PM »
I have never seen Oatka Creek so high. Even Scottsville-Mumford RD. is(was) closed for awhile,
West of the village. At close to 2000cfs and a ht. of 5.8 feet  it was raging today but has crested and started to recede. Give it a week.

trapper2000

« Reply #3412 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:43 PM »
nery nice gump and I think your correct ,think I'm going to look for some rising bluegills!

Gump

« Reply #3413 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:55 PM »
I put the eyeball on a nice pond myself this afternoon Trapper, thinking the same thoughts.  I'm keeping that as option 'B' this weekend.  

Oatkasut,  yeah that is crazy....Irondequoit creek also.  It was out of the banks as far up as Powder Mills park, where it was into the one road there.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

lowaccord66

« Reply #3414 on: Apr 25, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Getting used to not using an indicator...this guy hit it hard enough for me to see it!

oatkasut

« Reply #3415 on: Apr 25, 2017, 10:04 PM »
That's the way to do it! Gave up the indicator about 10 years ago.Great pic!

chrony59

« Reply #3416 on: Apr 26, 2017, 05:04 AM »
That's the way to do it! Gave up the indicator about 10 years ago.Great pic!
Just curious guys ...........why give up the indicator ? I'm guessing a better drift ? I would be lost without one  :w00t:

lowaccord66

« Reply #3417 on: Apr 26, 2017, 03:39 PM »
For me I am no good at either but the casts are better without it at least for this guy.

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #3418 on: Apr 26, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I have never seen Oatka Creek so high. Even Scottsville-Mumford RD. is(was) closed for awhile,
West of the village. At close to 2000cfs and a ht. of 5.8 feet  it was raging today but has crested and started to recede. Give it a week.
oatka is about perfect for the spinning rods right now, just slayed browns today on my way home from work with small gold spinners. Caught my 2nd biggest ever, was 17.5"s. Wont be long and you flyguys can have your way with em. I seen a few rise up and take some bugs.
done dirt cheap!

MattyP123

« Reply #3419 on: Apr 26, 2017, 04:38 PM »
the caddis are going bonkers on a stream I frequent. First 2017 dry fly trout came today and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on, wasn't wearing sandals so quit counting  :D
Nice fish gump and cord, keep it up boys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.