FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561253 times)

geo315

• My favorite place.
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3420 on: Apr 26, 2017, 06:50 PM »
Hit my fav lake tonite.  Trout are taking emergers.  The small bass are crus 'in  the shore  and the pannies keep trying to eat my march browns.  
The only negative was those nasty black flies. No wind, plenty flies. Geo.

chrony59

« Reply #3421 on: Apr 27, 2017, 11:08 AM »
If any one cares the stocking of Oatka was cancelled last Friday due to high water ............they are doing this Saturday :w00t:  I will be as far away from any bridges as I can get ! Stockies are O.K. but I'm looking for naturally hatched fish and large ones  ;) Broke the 20" mark before the high water ;D

oatkasut

« Reply #3422 on: Apr 27, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Chrony, you give up the indicator so that you have better control of the nymphs placement and it's movement instead of it being suspended from an indicator. By paying attention to your tight line and always feeling it, you will not miss strikes but you  may misss catching it. I fish my nymph in an unconventional manner somewhat like I fish a streamer and a wolly bugger. It seems to work for me. Give it a try and good luck.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3423 on: Apr 27, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Oat you are moving the nymph manually?  I was packing it in the other night and had a decent brown chase the nymph I was stripping in at a rapid rate.

oatkasut

« Reply #3424 on: Apr 27, 2017, 03:48 PM »
low, exactly, you manipulate the nymph by manual stripping and by lifting and lowering the rod tip  to simulate the movement of the nymph from the bottom to the top. I  also will ply out line and let the current take it  and then retrive it by irregular strips  or rod movements. Many times as you give the nymph line the trout will slam it and hook themselves!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3425 on: Apr 28, 2017, 05:18 AM »
well I use to fish without a  indicator,i cane to a simple conclusion dead drifting, I was missing hits.....I don't care how good you are you can't see every take especially without a indicator ...... personal opinion but a 9 foot clear leaderand 3 foot of tippet is hard to see drifting underwater
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

chrony59

« Reply #3426 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys ..................been at it 40+ years and still learn something just about every time out ! I guess that's why I am addicted  ;D  Love this time of year so much to do  :thumbup_smilie:

MattyP123

« Reply #3427 on: Apr 28, 2017, 07:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m0QbVTWhtw&t=333s everything you need to know about nymphing  :rotflol:. Yeah I use an indicator nymphing 90% of the time and the video is funny to me.. Don't have a segue .. Anyone fish the beaverkill or willow in may? Kinda looking to make a weekend out of it around Roscoe

trapper2000

« Reply #3428 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:30 PM »
I've fished both ....mayflies  Hendrickson , light cahill ,adams ....basic nymphs  however you want  some helligamite imitations as well
green or yellow caddis

oatkasut

« Reply #3429 on: Apr 29, 2017, 07:50 PM »
check the website:catskillflies.com  It gives a daily report on Roscoe area streams and also contains a forum of peoples  comments on fishing the area. I usually fish it in June either the 1st or 2nd week. There is always a place up there that's fishable unless there is massive rains. Then the only recourse is the NY city resouvors which can be fished from shore by gettting a free permit from the city of NY on the web.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3430 on: Apr 30, 2017, 03:05 AM »
I'm not much of a trout fisher, but I do a lot of nymph style fishing for carp, bass and the like. I use a furled leader with either an orange or chartreuse butt section. Coat the indicator with payette paste and it floats. Pretty easy to get a natural drift and have a better chance to see the take.

For a 9 or 10' rod I like an 84" furled with appropriate tippet.

But, for crappies, a lot of times I'll use an indicator float or "thing-a-ma-bobber" and switch to a 48 or 60" furled leader.

I'm pretty sure it would work for those really smart fish too ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #3431 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:41 AM »
all i can hear in my head .....in the voice of Thurston Howell the third........oh lovey no self respecting trout will take your fly with that......that thing-a-ma-bobber on your line. ::)

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

lowaccord66

« Reply #3432 on: Apr 30, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I'm not much of a trout fisher, but I do a lot of nymph style fishing for carp, bass and the like. I use a furled leader with either an orange or chartreuse butt section. Coat the indicator with payette paste and it floats. Pretty easy to get a natural drift and have a better chance to see the take.

For a 9 or 10' rod I like an 84" furled with appropriate tippet.

But, for crappies, a lot of times I'll use an indicator float or "thing-a-ma-bobber" and switch to a 48 or 60" furled leader.

I'm pretty sure it would work for those really smart fish too ;D

Rg

Are you making your own leaders or buying?  What you describe sounds like something I'd like to try.  If it works on those smart carp ill murder the trout here in the farmington.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3433 on: Apr 30, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I make my own furled leaders. Not hard really. I haven't used a tied or tapered store bought in more years than I remember. There's so many options with furled leaders. Length, weight, rate of taper, color......it's limitless. Takes me about 5 minutes to furl a leader to whatever spec I want. Coat with payette and they float. Leave untreated and they sink.

I keep 2 Loop tippet dispensers with sizes from 8x to 0x in my vest and a variety of furled leaders. I can change in a matter of a couple minutes.

In my book, they turn a fly over like no tied or tapered mono leader can. Top that with the fact that they last virtually forever and they win in my opinion.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #3434 on: Apr 30, 2017, 05:12 PM »
RG had me  test some of his leaders  2 years ago...o still have the same one on my  7wt and  use one on my 5 wt a lot ...from bluegills to bluefishthey are remarkable ..... i have told RG he should market them ....the only thing is  shoot your forward cast a little higher then with a standard tapered leader.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.