FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561537 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3660 on: Apr 26, 2023, 05:52 PM »
So that nice old Fenwick should cast well with a 5 wt line. For a leader I would probably forget the tapered leader and tie on a 5-6’ length of 4x tippet for a butt section and 18” or so of 5x tippet. . It’s only a 7’ rod so you aren’t going to be making any “hero casts” of 50’ with it at this point.

The fly line is probably old and may not want to cast very well. You’ll figure that out soon enough. Do some practicing in the back yard.

I’d also be happy to send you some of my favorite bluegill flies. It’s a slippery slope…but a ton of fun.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3661 on: Apr 26, 2023, 06:40 PM »
in a month he'll be  buying a  vice  and  a addict .........
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3662 on: Apr 26, 2023, 07:02 PM »
Well, pricing an addition to his house for his fly fishing room.

We should be ashamed for enabling like this.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3663 on: Apr 27, 2023, 05:49 AM »
62 & done, Ed was a great guy. He was my first boss when I got out of the Navy in 1965. His shop was about half a mile from me. My "go-to" jig rod was repaired for me by him and it is still going strong....h2l

lowaccord66

« Reply #3664 on: Apr 27, 2023, 09:40 AM »
62 & done I build my own leaders using various lengths and diameters of maxima chameleon.  Happy to build a few and send them your way.  If you can tie blood knots they are easy to make. 

*they arent as fancy as rg's furled leaders but they work.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3665 on: Apr 27, 2023, 01:58 PM »
Furled leaders aren’t really fancy…but they’re pretty.

trapper2000

« Reply #3666 on: Apr 27, 2023, 04:44 PM »
RG simply makes the  best and strongest leaders i have  ever fished ........  end of story

62 & Done

« Reply #3667 on: Apr 27, 2023, 05:48 PM »
sounds like the who's who of fly fishing here.  You guys have got me all wound up & ready to whip up some water. Hope the fish don't mind a clumsy oaff  trying to trick them.

trapper2000

« Reply #3668 on: Apr 28, 2023, 03:04 AM »
well 62  you already have the  best  fly fishing tool available too you that  most old farts didn't have  and it's going to set you years ahead in the  fly fishing learning curve  .....and thats the internet .....you can pour your self a  cup of  coffee  and  in your  free time  have  casting instructors and  equipement  experts  showing you  everything you need  and how to use it  you  have  great fly tyiers  ready   to teach you   how to tie  any fly you will ever  want and you have  many  other fly fishing  enthusiast right here  waiting to share   experiences  and personal  fishing  information  ......  it's a great sport and you'll love  it .......

lowaccord66

« Reply #3669 on: Apr 28, 2023, 07:14 AM »
Furled leaders aren’t really fancy…but they’re pretty.

They are.  Havent tried one but I hear the turn over with them is really nice.

62 & Done

« Reply #3670 on: Apr 28, 2023, 08:57 AM »
I'm assuming that a furled leader is made with some type of fancy knot?  Just guessing here as I've got a lot to learn you see.

So Trapp How did you do this morning?  It was a beautiful start to the day. I spent my morning shooting archery, I'm into that too

62 & Done

« Reply #3671 on: Apr 28, 2023, 09:03 AM »
You're right about the net there Trapp, I just learned what a furled leader is Daaa  boy I got a lot to learn

I also have a digest on tying lots of different knots  Aside from the blood knot which I use already, which ones should I brush up on and for what ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3672 on: Apr 28, 2023, 10:45 AM »
I very few  knots for fly fishing. A blood knot for tippets and improved clinch knot for flies. I can tie either in the dark…which is good…..because tippet material looks like hair to me these days.

For loop to loop connections I just use a figure 8 when I need it.

I’ll send you a furled leader with the flies. You’ll probably only need one…if you don’t lose it. They do work well for most applications. They float with a dab of payette paste and sink without it. I make some with a bright colored butt section as an indicator.

They’re fun to make.

62 & Done

« Reply #3673 on: Apr 28, 2023, 12:49 PM »
super !    all I need now is a new hat so I look the part !
     I'm looking forward to this

trapper2000

« Reply #3674 on: Apr 28, 2023, 03:23 PM »
in a  hurry i  don't even use a  blood knot  a  surgeons  not and  where  back  fishing  .......62  learning  is   half the fun  it's a  new  world  ......  but  when time comes and you catch a really decent  fish on a fly you  constructed  ........  it just doesn't get any better then that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.