FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560683 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3675 on: Apr 28, 2023, 03:28 PM »
Big straw hat is my choice. You can douce it with bug spray, dip it in the stream to keep you cool and it keeps the flys out of your ears…..the flys you’re casting that is… if you cast like me anyways.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3676 on: Apr 28, 2023, 08:17 PM »
I very few  knots for fly fishing. A blood knot for tippets and improved clinch knot for flies. I can tie either in the dark…which is good…..because tippet material looks like hair to me these days.

For loop to loop connections I just use a figure 8 when I need it.

I’ll send you a furled leader with the flies. You’ll probably only need one…if you don’t lose it. They do work well for most applications. They float with a dab of payette paste and sink without it. I make some with a bright colored butt section as an indicator.

They’re fun to make.

I imagine you built your own jig to make em?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3677 on: Apr 29, 2023, 04:19 AM »
Yup! I’ll be twisting a few up later today. I’ll take some pics of the setup. Pretty cool process. Always amazes me that it works.

Good rainy day project.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3678 on: Apr 29, 2023, 11:09 AM »
So this is my jig.

Right now it’s set for a 48” leader. Thread is wound from post to post  in two separate bundles. I then pick up the end of each bundle, remove them from the posts and twist each clockwise to a pre determined length. It’s hard to explain clearly, but each group of threads in a bundle is passed through the previous bundle at the post, interlocking them. No matter the length of the leader , I only use 6 posts.

I use these hooks I made to do the clockwise winding. When they land comfortably on the nail posts they’re at the right length and have the right amount of twist. Tension is just a matter of feel after many years of trial and error.

Each strand is removed and transferred to a modified hook in my drill and wound counterclockwise together. Thus the furling process is complete.

Then a loop called a “Shorb Loop” ( named after its inventor) is applied to the butt end for attachment to the fly line by a loop to loop connection. A tippet ring is added to attach whatever tippet you chose to use. I apply a dab of super glue the the thread at the tippet ring. Attaching that ring is arguably the hardest part of making one of these. Pretty tiny for my fat hands.

And there you have a furled leader. Perfectly tapered, no knots and relatively indestructible.

I figured out how to add in a hi-vis  color to the butt section that works really well. Haven’t seen anyone else that does this.

A lot of the manufactured leaders are made from polyester thread. I tried a couple and don’t like how limp they are. I make mine from 6/0 prewaxed unithread. More expensive I suppose, but I don’t make that many and the uni thread just casts like a dream.

I’d sell them but if someone bought 2 or 3 they wouldn’t need another for several years. So I just make a few for myself and friends. I can make them from 36” to 80” in weights from dry fly to monster bass flys. My carp leaders look pretty much like rope to me.

The only disadvantage I see is that they do carry some water with them and a couple false casts are needed before setting the fly down so as not to spook a skittish fish. They sink very nicely and float like a cork with a light coat of Payette paste.

The whole setup can be gathered and assembled for a super small investment, assuming you own a drill.

If anyone wants particulars I’d be happy to oblidge.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3679 on: Apr 29, 2023, 12:39 PM »
Thanks for all the details RG.  The high vis option is really cool.  Great way to spend a crappy weather day.  All of our local trout water is in the process of being blown out.  May try some warm water fly action tomorrow afternoon.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3680 on: Apr 29, 2023, 12:47 PM »
Yeah…I’m sitting here with 20+ winds and on and off rain. Supposed to mow greens tomorrow morning…..we’ll see about that.

62 & Done

« Reply #3681 on: Apr 29, 2023, 01:30 PM »
Yup! I’ll be twisting a few up later today. I’ll take some pics of the setup. Pretty cool process. Always amazes me that it works.

Good rainy day project.
    looks like somebody knows what they're doing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3682 on: Apr 29, 2023, 01:53 PM »
Learned a bit about it guess.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3683 on: May 05, 2023, 02:24 PM »
One of the kids ( the Super’s son) at the golf course where I work part time is a seriously addicted fisherman. He asked me today if I would show him and his friend, who works with us, how to fly fish. They have a fly rod ( probably from Walmart)

I couldn’t be happier than to take two 20 something’s (maybe) who want to fish and teach them a bit. We’ll have a few lessons this week and I’ll donate some flies to get them started. The break room at work is starting to look like a Bass Pro showroom.
I don’t mind a bit. Pretty nice young men.

Bartman44

« Reply #3684 on: May 05, 2023, 03:53 PM »
That's great, they'll be hooking fish in no time with your tutelage.

Are there any water hazards on the course the hold big bass?

62 & Done

« Reply #3685 on: May 05, 2023, 04:40 PM »
rg yur ok in my book- hope those youngsters adopt a new hobby   I haven't made it out yet too much weather -too many chores Went mushroom looking this morning but came home with an empty stringer    oh ya, I found a new spot to waylay a deer this fall after I take care of a few bushy tails, so it worked out

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3686 on: May 05, 2023, 06:04 PM »
That's great, they'll be hooking fish in no time with your tutelage.

Are there any water hazards on the course the hold big bass?

The whole course is built around a swamp/ creek system. It’s 3.5 miles end to end. There’s more fish holding water there than a Blue Heron (our namesake) can hunt.

There’s bass, pike , crappie, gills, bullhead, carp and who knows what else.

I’ll make the effort to teach. As an old man, if they pay attention, I’ll continue to teach. If they don’t….I’ll show them the way to the primrose path.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3687 on: May 05, 2023, 06:07 PM »
62….go get those flies wet! It’s prime time!

I’ll be on my spot at 6:00 tomorrow morning. More fly testing to be done. Not much better than a good bluegill on a 2 wt.

Especially when it’s a 2 wt you built yourself and a fly you tied.

Yup……life is good and too short to worry.

gotagetm

« Reply #3688 on: May 05, 2023, 06:17 PM »
Nice bob…and your very correct!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3689 on: May 05, 2023, 06:18 PM »
i have to apoligize  to 62 i was going to mail something to you but i had a family emergency....things are on the right track again and i'll be mailing something ....thanking everyone for the post  it kept me sane last few days .....now i will be putting the boat in and seeking my favorite  fly fishing target ......the ever aggressive rock bass............  cool side note i stopped by lake Neatahwanta in fulton and seen a loon!!!!! that made my day never seen one there before
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.