FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561780 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3885 on: Jul 03, 2023, 08:53 PM »
I'll be looking for advise that's for sure    Hope you don't get sick of me
Tying flies is an art form I think. Much like fly fishing. We all start with the basics. We struggle and learn and eventually get free of the constraints that come with acquiring a new skill. We get better at it.

I get lost on the water with a fly rod in my hand..I get lost at the bench tying flies. It’s a wonderful thing to let life’s necessities melt away for a while and just do something enjoyable. I’ve always taken time to get lost. Be it a long morning walk, time tinkering in the “little wood shop” , fishing or tying flies.

Life is too short to not take time to enjoy it.

Oye! I wax philosophical !
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3886 on: Jul 03, 2023, 09:24 PM »
I got lost today Rg.  Nice calm morning, crystal clear water.  No one in site.  The miles came almost as easily as the trout. All were modest but it didnt matter.  One of those mornings where you dont mind leaving mid-day. 

62 & Done

« Reply #3887 on: Jul 04, 2023, 03:59 PM »
Learned a lot today without leaving the farm.  Decided to sleep in this morning as I'm not real fond of this sticky weather so I've spent most of today going WAYYY back thru past threads. I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible on as many subjects as possible. Flies, rods, tying tools, procedures etc., etc. There's a lot of good stuff here. Thanks to all.
  Sorry about the flood and loosing all your stuff RG. That must have hurt. If I stay put for about a week I may get myself up to modern day.

I may try to sneak out for an evening soon. I usually fish mornings so this will be something different.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3888 on: Jul 04, 2023, 04:52 PM »
Man…that was a long time ago. I’d forgotten all about it.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3889 on: Jul 04, 2023, 05:39 PM »
Tying flies is an art form I think. Much like fly fishing. We all start with the basics. We struggle and learn and eventually get free of the constraints that come with acquiring a new skill. We get better at it.

I get lost on the water with a fly rod in my hand..I get lost at the bench tying flies. It’s a wonderful thing to let life’s necessities melt away for a while and just do something enjoyable. I’ve always taken time to get lost. Be it a long morning walk, time tinkering in the “little wood shop” , fishing or tying flies.

Life is too short to not take time to enjoy it.

Oye! I wax philosophical !

Well stated, actually was back at the vise the other day when it was pouring outside. Felt good creating again.

62 & Done

« Reply #3890 on: Jul 04, 2023, 07:46 PM »
Man…that was a long time ago. I’d forgotten all about it.

There's a lot of stuff on here   ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3891 on: Jul 04, 2023, 08:42 PM »
Yeah..there’s a lot of stuff in my “fishing room” . More than I care to admit.

Oh well….an old man’s comfort o guess. I’m happy with it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3892 on: Jul 06, 2023, 10:07 AM »
Taking a ride to the Fly Shack today

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3893 on: Jul 06, 2023, 11:42 AM »
My go to supplier for hooks, thread and stuff. Great service from them.

62 & Done

« Reply #3894 on: Jul 06, 2023, 06:39 PM »
There's a 9' Beacon in a 5 wt in the boat waiting for a decent morning. Not the fanciest rod by some's standards but I think it will be a step up. Had a long visit with the shop keeper today and may have garnered some useful info. I love how everyone is willing to help.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3895 on: Jul 06, 2023, 07:06 PM »
It’s a collective effort enjoyed by passing it along.

62 & Done

« Reply #3896 on: Jul 13, 2023, 07:11 PM »
That 9'er is a WHOLE different animal.  Another learning experience yesterday for sure. Did ok, found some errors in technique that show up more with the longer rod. Now back to the drawing board.  Didn't catch much but had an interesting day working with it. Tried several flies but to no avail. When the old, battered body got tired I broke out the ultra light and caught a few gills and some really nice crappie on jigs for dinner.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3897 on: Jul 14, 2023, 11:27 AM »
Yup. Need to slow down a bit. Try to keep that 10-2 cast for a while. You’re in a boat so you can do a very basic vertical cast. It’ll teach you to feel the line loading up front and back and let you get some rhythm and timing.

You can get creative later. The back yard ( which you seem to have plenty of) is a great place to work out the kinks.

That rod is probably a lot quicker action than you’re used to. Meaning it’s a stiffer flex. Can take some getting used to. Took me a while and I still prefer an IM -6 blank for its slower action. Way easier to cast for the most part. But, when you’re bucking wind or need to shoot a bullet cast, the faster rods are the ticket. And you can learn to cast them slow….after a while.

Wish you were closer. I’d let you try one of my bamboo rods. Talk about slow….and they’re a workout.

62 & Done

« Reply #3898 on: Jul 14, 2023, 11:37 AM »
Very fast action indeed. I was a little surprised ....  Does if this makes sense? :   I felt myself casting in an upward motion and the line shot like a bullet for 30 ' then just stopped and the remainder of line, leader and fly just landed in a heap.  So I made an effort to cast horizontally ( even with the water surface ) and found myself making a much better cast.   
   You are definably right rg, I found I had to slow down  tough for a guy like me

oatkasut

« Reply #3899 on: Jul 14, 2023, 12:12 PM »
You  can also use a roll cast  which I use alot especially with trees behind me! You'll master it quickly, I am convinced. I also use a  cross the chest cast   as well a a horizontal cast along with the traditional over the shoulder conventional cast. Whatever your happy with and as long as your catching fish you are GOLD! Just have fun.   Tricos around now so get out your magnifier glasses and try to master that hatch. Another challenge for your" to do" list.  Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.