FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627036 times)

Bartman44

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4260 on: May 07, 2023, 07:51 AM »
Tied some egg layers last night.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4261 on: May 07, 2023, 09:16 AM »
Very nice. Never seen that pattern.

Pestered the gills for  bit after mowing greens this morning. Got some nice ones then they just shut down. Barometer is dropping steadily. Went from 30.28 to 30.05 in the last few hours.

Guess it’s gonna rain again.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #4262 on: May 08, 2023, 06:23 AM »
Very nice. Never seen that pattern.

Pestered the gills for  bit after mowing greens this morning. Got some nice ones then they just shut down. Barometer is dropping steadily. Went from 30.28 to 30.05 in the last few hours.

Guess it’s gonna rain again.

Yeah, it's a timing thing. The adult mayflies will hover over a riffle with egg, lay egg, then die and lie flush as a spinner. Once the trout are keyed on spinners, forget it, they won't eat anything else. Still looking for the perfect spinner pattern. Art Lee had an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine many moons ago on this egg laying phase. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4263 on: May 08, 2023, 01:03 PM »
Guess I’m not much of an entomologist….or trout fisher.

Tell you one thing. I tried for some bluegills after work this morning. I could see them and they just wouldn’t take anything I tossed them. Probably should have taken some worms.

They’d chase and nip but just wouldn’t take. Tried everything in the arsenal. Even a tandem rig with a Pt nymph. Nope!

I’m gonna hit my spot tomorrow morning for an hour or so at first light….before I go mow greens.  We will see.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4264 on: May 09, 2023, 01:42 PM »
Well I ended up fishing for a bit after work. Caught a few. I’ll keep at it. I know there’s some bruisers in there.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4265 on: May 09, 2023, 09:13 PM »
when i have encountered gills like that  a small unweighted scud  tossed and allowed to fall slowly to bottom  often will trigger a strike....... i never got alot when they are off like that
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4266 on: May 10, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Think it’s a timing thing. I’m not getting to my spot till late morning. It’s  generally way better first thing in the morning. But I’ll stick some scuds in my fly box.

Thanks.

trapper2000

« Reply #4267 on: May 14, 2023, 03:06 PM »
i found about a  dozen  small corks and  got thinking  ,why not  tie  some small poppers for  blue  gills and  rock bass with them ....should  be a  fun  project  i'll get some popper hooks tomorrow  from the trout fitter   ;D

Bartman44

« Reply #4268 on: May 15, 2023, 07:12 AM »
I want tie some frogs if anybody has some good patterns or ideas.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4269 on: May 15, 2023, 10:33 AM »
Here’s a couple really simple foam frog patterns.

You could tie them in  gurgled pattern as well. Trapper can make them with deer hair I’m sure. He’s way better with that than I am.

Bartman44

« Reply #4270 on: May 15, 2023, 12:03 PM »
Thanks, nice collection. I want to try for some bass this year with a frog and I've never tied a frog. Also, wany to try to make it weedless if I can.

Also, my son and I were walking back to our car along the Delaware River in the dark the other night and there's a major frog hatch going on, hundreds of them just floating about. We walked through this one eddy of frogs with our head lamps and sure enough, there's several large trout in there with them, one 20 incher scooted away right between my son's legs. Crazy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4271 on: May 15, 2023, 01:04 PM »
I’ve seen similar on my local streams which are warm water. Had big smallmouth blast right rough my legs. The gurglers are a great pattern. Walmart 2 mm craft foam and some other stuff.

Seedless is pretty easy for the most part. Search the STP frog. Old pattern that really works. First light and at dark those surface flies are killer.

Big dragonflies are another good choice for bass.

trapper2000

« Reply #4272 on: May 16, 2023, 05:49 AM »
my favorite frog pattern is the stp frog  easy to tie and fun   ...i even caught  coho on this  fly lol and thats sounds crazy but it's true .....

https://www.google.com/search?q=stp+foam+frog+fly&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS1056US1056&oq=stp+frog+&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0i22i30l4j0i15i22i30j0i390i650l4.16864j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:0a6c3e32,vid:XqGGX_ntDe8

there is  also a  tube fly version of this fly that works  very well and  looks really nice

Bartman44

« Reply #4273 on: May 16, 2023, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for all the frog advice, I have plenty of foam etc, just need to get going at the bench.

Speaking of dragonflies, did you ever see this video? Oldie but a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjY0iNbbiEw

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4274 on: May 16, 2023, 02:11 PM »
Yup…dragonflies!
I’ve nailed some substantial bass with those dragonflies and some damsel fly imitations.

Don’t forget a big old daddy long legs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.