FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bashakill  (Read 21699 times)

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
Bashakill
« on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Does anyone fish down here? I don't recall seeing it mentioned on here in the past.  I was thinking of taking my canoe down here on Saturday. Do people still catch a lot of Bowfin down here? I'm just looking for some action, and something different. Thanks!

-Zach

greensider

Re: Bashakill
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:29 PM »
ive fished it a couple of times over the years never alot or fish but i have cought and seen fins there theres a forum just on bowfins very informative and some photos a few of mine defanetly a different place to fish when the weeds are up you cant se a boat just around the bend

monic20

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I have fished the basha my whole life I grew up right around corner....huge bowfin in ther for sure and some big large mouth and pickerel .  Be prepared for a lot of vegetation ...

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Do the fins pretty much hit anything? I know people catch them bullhead fishing all the time, I was just wondering what I could expect. Topwaters? Plastics? Live bait? I've always wanted to fish the marsh, and definitely plan on it this weekend. Does it get a lot of pressure?

rainrock

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2011, 09:15 AM »
I found this series of videos devoted to bowfin fishing on youtube last year. Found them quite interesting, might help you out:

Part 1:
http://youtu.be/KCs8MwTc--4

Part 2:
http://youtu.be/b1nLIbenkZA

Part 3:
http://youtu.be/bqsNN7Wcudk

Part 4:
http://youtu.be/yoWQUIUliZA

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Do the fins pretty much hit anything? I know people catch them bullhead fishing all the time, I was just wondering what I could expect. Topwaters? Plastics? Live bait? I've always wanted to fish the marsh, and definitely plan on it this weekend. Does it get a lot of pressure?

Zach, we slammed the bowfin all summer long last year in a backwater behind my house so I got to experiment a ton.    BY FAR the most productive method was to cut up a few small bluegills, toss about half the chunks in a small area of open water, bait up a rod or 2 with bluegill chunks and then make a RUCKUS!!  We would take the net and splash the hell out of the water, and the darn things would just come in to that noise.    We had multipe double digit evenings, and at one point even had 4 on at one time.   I would try something like that if you find any deeper areas with a ton of panfish hanging around.   Otherwise, we caught a bunch by accident on small UL jigs and one or two on senkos.  Didn't catch any at all on topwaters (which surprised us).

monkeyman2269

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2011, 02:10 PM »
When there spawning they absolutely smash buzzbaits but they really hit it outta the water so u don't get um much but its crazy to see um explode on them lemme know if it works for ya

thekamikazekid

• 24" 6 1/2 Lb. Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2011, 04:34 PM »
used to fish there alot like 15 years ago by the police station on the bridge.  big bowfin there, caught them mostly on live minnows suspended from a bobber.  also lots of pickeral and bass there.  The stat record bowfin was taken here.  good luck!

greensider

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2011, 06:58 PM »
will hit anything but they love crawlers if you se um throw a jig and pig with a yum craw also they will come right up to your boat and check you out

thekamikazekid

• 24" 6 1/2 Lb. Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011, 02:59 PM »
let us know how you did!

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:40 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I thought this thread had gone stagnant, as I haven't been on in a couple days. Guess not! Anyway, I appreciate all the information. I wasn't able to make it down, I couldn't find anyone to go with me/split gas. It's a bit of a haul from Cobleskill. I ended up fishing Franklinton Vlaie, and caught so many pickerel my canoe was coated in slime. Typical day there!  :D Couldn't find the bass though. Hoping to get down to the Bashakill sometime soon.

Chainsaw

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I thought this thread had gone stagnant, as I haven't been on in a couple days. Guess not! Anyway, I appreciate all the information. I wasn't able to make it down, I couldn't find anyone to go with me/split gas. It's a bit of a haul from Cobleskill. I ended up fishing Franklinton Vlaie, and caught so many pickerel my canoe was coated in slime. Typical day there!  :D Couldn't find the bass though. Hoping to get down to the Bashakill sometime soon.

Hey Chen I'm over here in Carlisle and have been wanting to do a 'Bow' trip to somewhere. Mayhap someday if you want to do the Bash n' Kill trip gimme a call on the landline... 234-3468... and we'll see what we can do to split a trip. My throat Cancer has me limited on great conversation anymore but I can still do everything else. I've got a 17' Grumman Canoe with a carriage set for hauling and a 12' Raddisson if the water's too far from the good parking spots.

We're the second place West of Corbin Hill Rd./Lykers Rd. on Rt.20   The Motorcycle/Trappers Cabin doublewide.. I'm retired and good to go most anytime.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Hey Chainsaw, sounds good to me! I know right where you live, I believe I delivered stuff there before when I worked for FedEx. I work Monday-Friday but am available on weekends. I'll get ahold of you so we can plan a trip.

Chainsaw

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Saturdays might be best for me as Sherry has Sundays off and I like spending time with her at our creek camp or out on the motorcycles. It's a bit of a hike down by Middletown but I'm told it's worth the trip when you're catching them eh?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.