FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod building  (Read 27616 times)

chris458wm

Rod building
« on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I was wondering if anyone builds their own rods.  I saw a guy doing it on tv and it looks like a fun project and pretty easy to do.  If anyone does this can you tell me is it really as easy as it seems?  Also any tips and tricks to keep in mind?

BIGCREW

Re: Rod building
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I have made a few over the years,the best thing to do is buy a kit this way you get everything you need,the most important thing is to find the spine of the rod,its a little hard to explain in words for me but there are videos on youtube that cover all the steps, mudhole is the company that has the videos on line and they have everything you need to build a rod,they have a good catalog with the steps in it also,the only thing you will need is a way to hold the rod when your wrapping the guides on,I made my own and its simple just look at the pics to get an idea. good luck

gregv17

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:52 PM »
I have built rods for years. You CAN build a better rod than you can buy. The thing I tell folks that want to build rods is that it is not difficult but you have to pay attention to what you are doing and take your time. If you slap-dash something together you end up with an expensive piece of garbage. Mudhole is a great place to check out. I get much of my stuff from them. Batson Enterprises also has videos and good blanks and components. There are others also just do a search for custom rod building. You do not need a fancy rod lathe to get started. The supports for wrapping a rod are pretty simple to make. The kit idea is probably a good one for your first couple of rods but if you start getting into it then design your own rods from handles, type and size of reel seat, guides and placement, add more guides, take away guides. See what makes a better rod. Anyway check out mudhole and other rod building forums and see what you think. If you have any questions shoot me a pm and I will try to help out.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:17 PM »
It's very rewarding to build and fish your own. I've been building since the 70's and each rod is special. I've only ever given a couple to close friends as presents. Other than that, I build for me.

My fly rod collection is my passion. I now have 3wt, 2 - 5wt's, 1 - 6wt, 7wt, and a 9/10wt and a restored 1940's vintage 7wt bamboo rod. It's a great hobby, skill, obsession.  Best of all is when you go look at a high price production rod and think to yourself "Mine is much better!". The investment in time, materials, tools and equipment is well worth it to me.

I'm more than happy to help get you started. Just ask.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Now I know some of you are building rods......I've added several to the collection and new power wrapper to fuel my addiction.

Updated my drying box too.

My first 2 on the new "machine". A pair of stream rods. 6"6" 2 wt fly rod, 6'6" UL spinning rod.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

VooDoo Eyes

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Very nice building room rgfixit! Been building rods for 15 years and it can get addicting. Mud hole & netcraft are great places to buy from. Have been using Batson Rainshadow blanks the last couple years, they have treated me well. Start out slow with a cheap kit like an ultralight spin and see how you like it. You can make a rod wrapper out of a cardboard box use a book to tension the thread and when you apply the finish just turn the blank a quarter turn every 10 min or so for the first hour. I invested in a power wrapper and could not be happier, but I also build rods for others. You do not need much to start and build a few rods. Good luck

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2013, 07:05 PM »
It's the "hobby Room". 99% of the time I'm tying flies.

RG

adktony

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I personally have had bad experience with mud hole yes they ha en everything but worst customer service and outrageous shipping costs. Should have listened to rg earlier... my business will be going elsewhere from here on

nightbird

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2014, 01:58 PM »
My first spinning rod build was from a very cheap yard sale fly rod, a handle from a broken spinning rod, and assorted salvaged guides. Great practice costing virtually nothing and no worry about wrecking something I'd paid good bucks for. Learned a lot by going this route before moving up to good components.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Built a laser alignment system for my rod wrapper. I have to say it's the nutz!

Simple, cheap and effective..

RG

CowDawg

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:52 PM »
I was wondering if anyone builds their own rods.  I saw a guy doing it on tv and it looks like a fun project and pretty easy to do.  If anyone does this can you tell me is it really as easy as it seems?  Also any tips and tricks to keep in mind?

Hey Chris.. I know this is an old thread........  but I enjoy restoring older vintage bamboo rods...   I did built several Ice Rods for a couple guys too!

It is fun.... time and patience consuming and requires a good imagination...   But it's very rewarding when you finish a project. 8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Just got back to a rod I started last spring.
I don't have the time to work on rods, or wish to, during the warmer months.
This is a one pc 5.5' light action (not UL) spining rod.
It was an inexpensive kit that Mudhole had a special running on so I bought 2 kits last year.
Anyway, this one will be a Xmas gift for special fishing buddy this year.
It's all wrapped.
I'll do the epoxy tomorrow as I am waiting for a box of syringes to arrive.
I need the syringes to measure the epoxy accurately in very small amounts.

It appears that someone took the bag of syringes I had down there in my workshop over to thier appartment and never returned them.
 :-\

Anyway, it looks pretty good and should easily be ready to give it to my buddy in time for Christmas.
I'll post a pic when it's complete.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Nice, I did a ice rod for my boy for Xmas.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2020, 04:26 PM »
Nice, I did a ice rod for my boy for Xmas.

That’s awesome.
Rods are always great gifts I think.
But one that you made for the person adds that little bit extra.
Great job dad.
Great job!!!

BTW, I think everyone here on MFF knows who my “special fishing buddy” might be.

;)

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2020, 01:25 PM »
I think anything handmade makes a great gift, just finishing up building some jigging spoons to go with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.