FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1472382 times)

Flukeman

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #9960 on: May 14, 2023, 06:04 AM »
I would be fine with it if traditional methods used and on their lands just as the hunting is handled.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #9961 on: May 14, 2023, 11:17 AM »
If the native Americans want to take fish in their traditional methods it would be fine with me provided they use traditional equipment.  This would eliminate using modern waders, metal spears, motorized vehicles and any other modern equipment. None of these were available when the treaties were established.

if that  were so i guess  ar-15's are not covered under the  2nd amendment  they were not available when it was writen  the  first amentment  no longer  can be used  for freedom of speech on the tv ...they weren't  around .......

my opinion and it's only my opinion ....this  can only be settled in court .....and i do believe  the   american indians will  win ,and the state knows this too and  avoids  the  idea of  court .......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #9962 on: May 14, 2023, 12:13 PM »
My point was aimed more at the word "heritage" or tradition. If the Native Americans "Indians" want to practice
 their heritage, I believed it should be done as their ancestors did. I am sure it was not easy being a Native American, so taking advantage of spanning fish made survival possible.

Technically, Native Americans never speared Walleye in Scriba Creek, my understanding is Oneida lake was originally populated with Atlantic Salmon. So calling spearing Walleye is Scriba Creek heritage, is really a misnomer.

62 & Done, I am not suggesting you said spearing Walleye in Scriba Creek was heritage.

trapper2000

« Reply #9963 on: May 14, 2023, 02:32 PM »
the pilgrams never played baseball ........guess that's not a  part of american heritage .....if there is a signed legal document  stating they have this right to do this then they do ..... if they don't then they don't it's that simple

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #9964 on: May 14, 2023, 03:03 PM »
Will this be like the Cherokee Nation where no mater what treat, land given up and adoption a more European-American culture, the Cherokee were still removed from Georgia.  Will the Iroquois be treated the same way by our courts? At the time the Supreme Court ruled that it had no original jurisdiction in the matter, as the Cherokees were a dependent nation, with a relationship to the United States like that of a "ward to its guardian," as said by Chief Justice Marshall in 1831. The courts are only as good the the Justices Serving on them and the enforcement of their rulings.

trapper2000

« Reply #9965 on: May 14, 2023, 03:13 PM »
we all have opinions  ...mine is  simple if a treatie was  signed  saying they had this  right   they have that right  ...... time  doesn't change it  .....again   i am no  legal mind  this  should  be in a  court  ......

cnypanfisher

« Reply #9966 on: May 14, 2023, 07:35 PM »
On A lighter note the fishing was pretty good this weekend, our spring spot was great Saturday and it was cold as hell today with that north wind. Wound up with 7 yesterday, and 4 today before we said to heck with it. All we got opening weekend was perch Saturday and 2 decent ones Sunday. The bite will only get better from here till the bugs come, time to get them. 

Also there is funding from the powers that be for cormorant control, and they will be taking some for study as well. Watch out for the USDA guys in blinds by shore.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9967 on: May 15, 2023, 11:16 AM »
My point was aimed more at the word "heritage" or tradition. If the Native Americans "Indians" want to practice
 their heritage, I believed it should be done as their ancestors did. I am sure it was not easy being a Native American, so taking advantage of spanning fish made survival possible.

Technically, Native Americans never speared Walleye in Scriba Creek, my understanding is Oneida lake was originally populated with Atlantic Salmon. So calling spearing Walleye is Scriba Creek heritage, is really a misnomer.

62 & Done, I am not suggesting you said spearing Walleye in Scriba Creek was heritage.

I was thinking along these lines as well.  Its a really interesting situation where a natural resource intersects with the government.  It isnt often spoken about but it bugs me that a diplomat from another country could spear a walleye from scriba and they would have diplomatic imunity...but not this group of native americans.

trapper2000

« Reply #9968 on: May 15, 2023, 05:00 PM »

filetandrelease

« Reply #9969 on: May 15, 2023, 06:28 PM »

Jon I don’t see them as a natural resource
 As they are harvested and raised and eventually stock , I would consider a natural resource 1 that isn’t stocked and self propagating as the Atlantic salmon once was
 JMO

lowaccord66

« Reply #9970 on: May 17, 2023, 07:14 AM »
Jon I don’t see them as a natural resource
 As they are harvested and raised and eventually stock , I would consider a natural resource 1 that isn’t stocked and self propagating as the Atlantic salmon once was
 JMO

Makes sense Fred.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #9971 on: May 23, 2023, 05:33 PM »
Anyone been out? Today looked like a perfect day to be out there.
Nice job findin em

oneida1

« Reply #9972 on: May 23, 2023, 07:16 PM »
got a coupe over all very slow for me

reeleyz

« Reply #9973 on: May 24, 2023, 05:37 AM »
I was out Sunday night with the kids. We ended up with 4 keepers, nothing major. 1 was a nice 22"er though and my youngest snapped off a beauty at the boat around 24" I would guess.  :-\

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #9974 on: May 24, 2023, 04:50 PM »
That stinks about the big one getting away. At least you guys kept the skunk off!

I’m anxious to get back into the swing of things. Snag should be ready to go in a week or 2. You gonna be ready to roll Fred?
Nice job findin em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.