FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98785 times)

TT

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #720 on: May 17, 2023, 01:03 PM »
Jon, Sent you a PM did you get it?

lowaccord66

« Reply #721 on: May 17, 2023, 08:44 PM »
Hey Hank, I just saw it.  Thank you Ill try ti check that out. 

Tonight was real good again!

Steve H.

« Reply #722 on: May 18, 2023, 07:58 AM »
Thank you Steve.  Im always willing to show other members these spots and techniques.  Plenty of river to share and I have extra euro nymphing setups I'm happy to share if anyone was interested. 

That's very generous.  Thanks.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #723 on: May 18, 2023, 01:06 PM »
Ill warn once you start catching trout this way its real hard to go back!

Bartman44

« Reply #724 on: May 19, 2023, 08:04 AM »
Nice brown, cool spots.

lowaccord66

« Reply #725 on: May 19, 2023, 11:33 AM »
Nice brown, cool spots.

Yours was better!  What a toad.

lowaccord66

« Reply #726 on: May 22, 2023, 01:08 PM »
Fished 12-8 yesterday and forced myself to deal with the high water.  Fished the Farmington first and the Housy later.  There was a lot of "stuff" suspended in the farmington and it was high.  So I visited a section of the river that breaks off from the main stem and got into a number of smaller browns and a couple rainbows.  I spent hours there because irs way back in the woods and was about a third of the flow of the main river.  Didnt see a soul. 

I moved onto a very well known section near the woodshop.  Even with the heaviest nymphs the drifts were too fast and the softer seams were out of reach.  So I split and went up to a tributary that comes in a few miles downstream from the dam.  Broke out the jig streamer and let several chunky rainbows have it!

This brought me to around 530.  I took a break, ate some food and decided it was time to take the ride back.  Figured id go the back way and follow the housy home. The report from former Housatonic River Outfitters owner Harold (his store is closed and now is just a kiosk in another local store) said the river was off color and to be avoided.  Turns out that was utter bullshit.  While high the color was good so I stopped at the spot I have been hammering the past few nignts.  Noting all of the guides affiliated with Harold and his failed shop were out guiding in there boats....so much for off color eh?  I starred at the water for some time and saw caddis and bwo coming off and maybe some early sulphurs as some of the surface splashes were super aggressive.  2 hours later I had out performed the several hours spent at the farmington.  Mostly browns here and lots on a thread frenchie.  A guide gave me the hairy eye as they drift past only to catch my smug grin as I hooked up in front of his clients.  That was icing on the cake as "Jim" likes to tell me I am cheating because I fish nymphs.  He didnt repeat that mistake this year.  I think the earful of embarassing comments and questions I laid into him with the last time he opened his mouth may have been haunting him, thus the stink eye.

In another delight these group of guides lobbied the State of CT to put up barriers at one of their take outs to reduce parking.  Non-fishing families were apparently ruining there day picnicking there.  Well in a ironic plot twist now when fishermen park there (and I am a frequenter of this parking spot) the guides cant all fit their trucks and trailers and are forced to park on the road.  Just dessert for a bunch of dipshits trying to gentrify a river....

Bartman44

« Reply #727 on: May 22, 2023, 05:49 PM »
Sounds like you found a gaggle of territorial gents that want to turn the Housey into the River Test. You were in "their" beat without paying them the requisite quid. 

I've had pretty good luck with the guides over the years. Case in point, just a few weeks ago, I had one guide paddle over to me and point out some rising fish that he wasn't targeting, nice guy. I was also fishing a tail out for rising fish one afternoon and every guide boat (maybe 6) made it a point to paddle away from my targets and go behind me. It would have been easier for them paddle right past me.  Good etiquette.

Good that you are getting out. I haven't cast a line since my trip a few weeks ago as I've had one family thing after another. All good stuff but I think I'm free for a morning run tomorrow.

lowaccord66

« Reply #728 on: May 22, 2023, 07:48 PM »
Go get em Bart!  I'm not surprised to hear your experiences with guides are mpre pleasurable.  When I started fishing more and more in NY I noticed a huge increase in sportsmanship.  Down here, get a drift boat, pay CT a nominal fee and you can be a guide.  I could ignore the macho guide stuff, but reducing access because some spanish folks wanted to enjoy the river where they take out is what cemented my hate for them.  Doenst help I found a youtube video of one of these jokers holding up a nice wild brown upside down by its tail. 

By the way, if you and your son ever want to come give it a shot Id be happy to show you around. 

Bartman44

« Reply #729 on: May 23, 2023, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I'll need to get my CT freshwater license first.  I used to fish the Farmington and Housey in CT occasionally, I liked both rivers. Not as far a drive as the Catskills. I'm meaning to hit the Deerfield too soon.   

I did make it out this morning for three hours locally. Got to my spot at 6am and to my surprise, the water was higher than I thought it would be.  Both spots I wanted to fish required a river crossing and that wasn't happening with my rickety old legs so drove far upriver to find some manageable water.  I found 4 decent trout willing to play with the woolly bugger. Beautiful morning, nobody but me and the warblers.

Now it's back to mowing the lawn.

lowaccord66

« Reply #730 on: May 23, 2023, 08:30 PM »
You are welcome!  Glad you got out!  Sounds like a nice morning.

lowaccord66

« Reply #731 on: May 26, 2023, 06:23 AM »

BerkshireBass

« Reply #732 on: Jun 03, 2023, 09:44 PM »
Hit the Deerfield this evening, but didn’t realize my fly box wasn’t in my vest until I was on the River, so I was fishing with 3 flies I scrounged from my car: a poorly tied generic nymph, composed of a bead and blue ice dub, a size 20 black parachute adams, and a partridge and orange. Decided to fish a new stretch I’ve seen from the road but never fished. After watching the water and not seeing any surface activity, I floated the nymph underneath an indicator through the riffle at the head of the pool. 8 casts in I landed a decent bow. Next cast, missed a strike. I caught another on the nymph before seeing a few sporadic rises, one of which took the dry and was brought to the net. Swinging the wet solicited a strike from a rising fish that ended up being 18”-19” that I lost right at the shore. I then finished the evening by catching a fourth rainbow on the dry just as dusk was setting in. 4 fish landed on only 3 flies (with one hooked but lost, and a few other missed strikes) in addition to seeing a beaver at 5 yards and a mature eagle fly overhead left me quite content to walk back to the car a few minutes before last light.

bogtrotter

« Reply #733 on: Jun 04, 2023, 05:49 AM »
Hit the Deerfield this evening,  . . .. 4 fish landed on only 3 flies (with one hooked but lost, and a few other missed strikes) in addition to seeing a beaver at 5 yards and a mature eagle fly overhead. . . .

That's one heckuva evening!

westernmas

« Reply #734 on: Jun 20, 2023, 08:46 AM »
Got back from CO and was pleasantly surprised with the flows for the local rivers. Saturday I got a window in between yard work and rain storms so I went up to the east branch of the Westfield. Flows were about average for this time of year. First fish was a beautiful brookie probably the second biggest I’ve ever caught. I also brought another four rainbows to hand, all which fought quite hard. Sunday I went down to the coast for saltwater. I managed a striper the size of the brookie on a fly but got skunked in the dark w the surf rod.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.