FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Secrets and hints ???  (Read 5843 times)

raleigh

Secrets and hints ???
« on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:01 PM »
What are some secrets you guys have for catching bass right after ice off. I went fishing for bass all day todat and caught nothing. IMO the water is still to cold for the the warm water fish (bass) to be real active. So my queastion is how do you approch the bass and blue gills in cold water ?

TroutFishingBear

Re: Secrets and hints ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:17 PM »
well, you need a boat or your pontoon boat will do.

But at the lakes your fishing, you can't have them, so your out of luck for the time being

raleigh

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:52 PM »
I am sure there are still ways to catch bass in cold water. I wouldent say I am out of luck. I just have to find ways to get them intrested In certen baits. you can fish flys and lures in deep water, you just have to find the right ones that the bass are gonna hit. It just makes it that much harder because the water is so cold. An yes the bass are in deeper water right now and it would be easier with a float tube or pontoon. But thoes lakes do not allow it, so I dont think I am out of luck, I just have to come up with plans on how to catch the bass form shore in the cold weather. All fish gotta eat some time !!!

Mackdaddy21

Gonna Be Really Slow
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:03 AM »
Bluegill stay active year round, finding them is the only problem. And I can tell you that at this lake, the bass and gills stay deeper untill april and don't move shallow much. So fishing is going to be very slow till then.
It wouldn't be out of the question to catch a bass or two now though. I would try a tube jig, rigged weedless with very little weight for a slow fall. That is probably one of the best cold water bass lures because it doesn't have too much action, but enough to make it look like either a minnow or crayfish.
The primary forage in this lake is smaller bass, and small bluegill or green sunfish.
Another possibility is a suspending jerkbait like a rapala husky jerk. I would use the three inch model. Just throw it out and crank it down for a few feet. Then just let it sit for about 10 - 30 seconds. Then just vary the action after the pause. Maybe jerk it once of twice, or reel it a little bit. Just remember to pause a lot, and your hit will usually be during the pause.
So if you haven't had any luck on the tube jig, try the jerkbait. This might nab you a bass or two  in the shallower areas around the northwest part of the lower lake. The upper lake isn't near as good.
A few bass might be feeding a bit in the shallows on a warm sunny day, so the jerkbait might get you into a few. But if a cold front has just passed, count on the fish moving deep again.
Cold fronts are bad until about May. Then fishing before a storm or cloudburst when if cools off is outstanding. The sunny bright period after a cold front is always slow though.
If you want, wait untill mid to late april, and I will personally guide you up there, show you where and when to fish, and what to use. The topwater action at this lake is fantastic in the evenings, with a hit on every cast the norm. And it could be a bass or a big gill. I have caught more than 100 bass in a day here. They are usually only a pound or two, but talk about fun.

Tyler

Tyler

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:29 AM »
This time of the year I would use a real slow drop shot method. Cast it out and reel it in ever so slowly, use a 3-4 inch bait. I like the smaller Senkos or maybe a french fry. Works for me when water is cold this time of the year.

bow-n-arrow-man

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:15 AM »
patience and confidence most of all!!!!! and trying dif lures and to keep moving around  on the lake and watch ur wind direction!!

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2004, 07:36 PM »
on my fly rod i use a mudminow imitation for smallies in the river it works pretty well for me  ;D
tight lines, chuck

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2004, 05:31 PM »
I use a strike king Lure spin bait that Crappies and perch will hit on...Small but effect. I use the Dark blue tails and a Slow retrieve Bottom bouncing Almost The retrieve has to be just slow enough so that its on the bottom but still spinning ...In ontario where i live its illegal to Fish for bass untill Open season...But Im fishing for Crappies then..So im not in any trouble but The Bass will hit the same Lure's...NOt my fault! LOL ANyhow that methods works well just after ice! FOr me anyhow!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:38 AM »
Just giving you some advise, if the Rabbit Police see you catching Bass it doesn't matter if your using a ice fly and a spike or a Strike King spinner bait they will be talking to you. Had it happen to me using a Roadrunner fishing for Crappies, I got into a school of Bass and the Rabbit Cop go all in my face about it. Said I had to leave the area if you catch Bass because they were spawning.  That would sound okay but the water temp was 38 degrees. Show me Largemouth that spawn in that temp ????? 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Super-x
That's very arguable...he would have dragged me away most likely. You weren't targeting bass (I assume) and he couldn't prove otherwise. There's no regulation that states you must leave an area because bass are  biting. Besides Bass don't school in an area to spawn...and 38 deg..... ??? ???
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:55 PM »
maybe he was patroling his hole  ;D ;D ;D
tight lines, chuck

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:33 PM »
As long as you can argue your case convicingly then your ok...I have MNR friends that Tell me as long as i catch and release and Are not targeting the fish specifcally Then its ok. Crappie are in Abundance in the same area as the Bass here so what do ya do? They hit the same lures...And no you shouldn't have had to leave that area...But smarter that you did as they just will make things worse for ya.....ANyhow i know it isn't ethical but I am not stoping fishing for crappie just becasue Bass are in the area...There is a lake I goto up north that I know is full of Bass ANyhow The MNR friends i have just informed me that there might be Still some brookies in the Lake As well But most likely not Lakers anymore as they were Last stocked in 67....anyhow he says there might not be any Brooks though hes not sure..I informed him i know its full of bass and would i get in toruble Fishing it Knowing that thers a slim chance of catching any Brooks or lakers?  He said as long a i catch and release and Im not targeting them thers no harm. ANyhow what to do eh?
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Tried to argue but that only got me deeper in a heated debate with this young Rabbit cop.  How anybody could be so powerful and so ignorant about fish is beyond me. Yeah Bass spawn in 38 degree water okay. So watch out if your fishing for anything out of a BASS boat because that's all you fcatch when your in one of those boats.

jigginstick

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Try a power worm or a senko with no weight just a slow fall, also blade baits will work slow rolled. Good luck to ya.
Jig,Jig,Jig

peple of the perch

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:12 AM »
i saw on tv someone using a wild thing from strike kingon a jig in april and he was catching them like crazy i dont know if this will be good for u though because he was in a boat and fishing out in the middle of the lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.