FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: soft plastics on jig heads for brook trout ?  (Read 4798 times)

ougot1

soft plastics on jig heads for brook trout ?
« on: Apr 06, 2023, 09:15 AM »
I am wanting to try some crappie 2'' soft plastic shads and curly tails on 1/16 oz jig heads for brook trout. i do not know the size of the trout in the ponds and rivers i hope to fish but does a 2'' swimbait  seem to big ? and if so what soft plastic would be good to try ? any thoughts appreciated .

bee

Re: soft plastics on jig heads for brook trout ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2023, 09:42 AM »
Ask Jim C. He is an expert
Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2023, 02:34 PM »
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2023, 03:19 PM »
Years ago my dad and I drifted in a canoe with panfish size twister tail jigs, and had no problem catching brook trout up to 16 inches with them. It was a northern Maine pond by the name of Rainbow Deadwaters. (Piscataquas County.)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2023, 04:26 PM »
I'm far from an expert (but thanks for the vote of confidence, Wayne).  On the other hand, I fish heavily pressured waters and have found a few things that can tip the scale in my favor.  I fish marabou and feather way more than I fish plastics.  As to the size, 2" is bigger than I normally fish on streams, brooks, and tail waters.  I've included a dime in the pics for size comparison.  Marabou's, micro shad darts, egg patterns (esp. in Fall), and tungstens  are all the mix.  There are some small plastics in there, too.  Small stuff yes (1/256th to 1/64th oz. typically) , but big fish will eat them and stay pinned if you keep your hooks sharp.  A 24" brown fell for the small pink jig in pic#1 last Spring.  I add split shot and keep the lures small rather than using heavier jigs.  I fish jigs under bobbers a lot in both still and flowing waters. Fish this way in a pond with a salmon chop and watch the rig get yanked under 8)  Pic #1 contains a larger size jig (1/32 oz) that I use on bigger lake shorelines.

Ask Jim C. He is an expert

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Gulp... 2.5" or 3".  Jighead.  Done and done.  If I told you how many bags of the stuff I go through anually youd fall out of your chair.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2023, 05:38 PM »
I'm far from an expert (but thanks for the vote of confidence, Wayne).  On the other hand, I fish heavily pressured waters and have found a few things that can tip the scale in my favor.  I fish marabou and feather way more than I fish plastics.  As to the size, 2" is bigger than I normally fish on streams, brooks, and tail waters.  I've included a dime in the pics for size comparison.  Marabou's, micro shad darts, egg patterns (esp. in Fall), and tungstens  are all the mix.  There are some small plastics in there, too.  Small stuff yes (1/256th to 1/64th oz. typically) , but big fish will eat them and stay pinned if you keep your hooks sharp.  A 24" brown fell for the small pink jig in pic#1 last Spring.  I add split shot and keep the lures small rather than using heavier jigs.  I fish jigs under bobbers a lot in both still and flowing waters. Fish this way in a pond with a salmon chop and watch the rig get yanked under 8)  Pic #1 contains a larger size jig (1/32 oz) that I use on bigger lake shorelines.

Jim I could use a lesson on jigs under bobbers. Completely foreign to me. You seem to do well on em. Do you work the jig or just let it float around? How far under a bobber?

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2023, 05:59 PM »
Hey, Nick.   I do best on the ponds when there's a bit of a chop.  The waves provide all the action you need.  If it's calm, twitch it around a bit or go with retrieving it a few feet, stopping, and allowing the jig to drop, and repeat. In flowing water, you can use the current to drift the seams real well.  As for the distance under the bobber, it depends on the water depth, but 3-4 feet usually ends up doing well.  The best idea.....when the ice goes out, we take a field trip to try it out ;)

Jim I could use a lesson on jigs under bobbers. Completely foreign to me. You seem to do well on em. Do you work the jig or just let it float around? How far under a bobber?

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2023, 06:03 PM »
Hey, Nick.   I do best on the ponds when there's a bit of a chop.  The waves provide all the action you need.  If it's calm, twitch it around a bit or go with retrieving it a few feet, stopping, and allowing the jig to drop, and repeat. In flowing water, you can use the current to drift the seams real well.  As for the distance under the bobber, it depends on the water depth, but 3-4 feet usually ends up doing well.  The best idea.....when the ice goes out, we take a field trip to try it out ;)
I like field trips! Haha

jacksmelt

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 05:21 PM »
ive had such good luck fishing pearl, white, pearl/ silver fleck  1 1/2in tubes with internal jigs w/ red hooks. even a 6in. brookie will swallow that. i too use a split shot to get it down in faster water. i need to try the bobber method .
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 10:58 PM »
When I’m using spinning gear, pretty much  all I ever use is a 2.5-3” gulp minnow (4” if I’m targeting lake trout or pike) on a jighead that has a wire bait keeper. Ive caught everything on them, from panfish, fallfish and small trout, to lake trout, salmon, bass, pike, and even a bullhead catfish once.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 06:38 AM »
I love tungsten jigheads.

woodchip1

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2023, 09:07 PM »
Tungsen  Jigs are my favorite lure, I wish we could get as good of a supply with out get involved in a China sale!!!!! I like buying them Bulk on line when they come tru mail its like Christmas every time. They help me keep my freezer full of perch fillets for fish cakes .

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2023, 11:38 AM »
I have to increase my supply of tungsten jigs.  A  new law just passed. After 9/1/2026, it will be illegal to use painted lead jigheads of a ounce or less.  Since 2017, unpainted lead ones have been illegal.

Tungsen  Jigs are my favorite lure, I wish we could get as good of a supply with out get involved in a China sale!!!!! I like buying them Bulk on line when they come tru mail its like Christmas every time. They help me keep my freezer full of perch fillets for fish cakes .

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2023, 12:14 PM »
There is a local shop that has a large supply of keitech super rounds that I use exclusively.  Sometimes the collars break but i dont mind that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.